𝟏 | 𝐀𝐭𝐭𝐢𝐭𝐮𝐝𝐞

song: dutch melrose - rush

⋆・𝐆𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚・⋆

Hot evenings in the middle of June always held a special allure for me, a time when the world seemed to soften under the gentle embrace of twilight. But tonight, that enchantment was shattered.

It hadn't even been three hours since I stormed out of my ex-boyfriend's apartment, my heart pounding with a mixture of rage and hurt. I had caught him red-handed, entangled with my coworker, their betrayal a bitter blow to my already fragile trust. I cursed his name in a torrent of venomous words as I ran, each syllable punctuated by the sharp sting of betrayal.

Deep down, I had sensed something amiss between them for a while, but I had pushed aside my suspicions, clinging desperately to the fragile illusion of trust. Now, that illusion lay shattered at my feet, leaving behind a raw ache in its wake.

Despite my recent heartbreak, I found myself reluctantly preparing for a quick Tinder date as a distraction. Online dating was never my go-to, given my trust issues, but I figured meeting someone on a Friday evening couldn't be the worst thing. As I got ready to meet this stranger, I wondered what the night might hold. Maybe amidst the chaos, there could be a moment of peace, a distraction from the storm in my heart.

Glancing at my reflection in the tall mirror against my bedroom wall, I give myself a little twirl to ensure every strand of hair and inch of my outfit is flawless. Honestly, I shouldn't bother exerting effort to impress some clueless guy my age, but I refuse to let him catch me looking like a walking disaster with steam practically shooting out of my ears. After a final adjustment of my black mini skirt and a toss of my hair to the side, I casually perch a pair of sunglasses atop my head before striding out the door.

Ash and I agreed to meet at a park in northern Miami, conveniently close to my apartment. He threw in the idea of grabbing a drink later, and well, in my current state, I couldn't exactly turn down the chance for a little distraction. Although I appreciate my friends for offering to cheer me up, I need something new and fresh.

As the clock ticks to 8:28 pm, I find a bench near a quaint bridge and gracefully lower myself onto it. With a flick of my phone's screen, I pretend to be interested in its contents, all the while keeping a keen eye on my surroundings. The warm yet chilly breeze brushes against my skin, offering a momentary respite from the chaos swirling inside me.

Fuming with impatience after waiting for over ten minutes, I finally decide to shoot him a text. Just as I'm about to unleash my frustration into the app, three dots appear on the screen, followed by a text: "Can't make it tonight, pretty girl. We can Netflix and chill anytime though." accompanied by a wink emoji.

An irritated gasp escapes my lips. How could I have been so naive? But then again, how could I be so stupid? It's your typical blonde surfer guy, of course, he's going to stand me up. Maybe he took another glance at my profile and realized I'm not his type. Or perhaps he saw my height listed at 5'9 and realized he was lying about being 6'1.

Rolling my eyes in exasperation, I rise to my full height, my heeled boots adding to my already imposing stature. Suddenly, a loud clap of thunder startles me, and I glance up to see a grey cloud rolling ominously into view.

For a moment, I think over my options, then with a decisive flick of my thumb, I open my maps app. Why waste a perfectly good outfit and sulking at home when I can go out for a drink on my own? Despite living in Miami for a year, I haven't explored all bars yet, too preoccupied with being a good girl and saying no to alcohol. Well, tonight, that's about to change.

On a typical night out, I usually stick to Inferno, the nightclub where I work as a bartender. With discounts on drinks and others covering the bill, it's always been my go-to spot. But tonight, I've opted for a change of scenery and settled on a bar I've never visited before.