𝟗 | 𝐋𝐨𝐨𝐤 𝐚𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐲𝐨𝐮

song: camylio - monsters

⋆・𝐆𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚・⋆

A few days have come and gone in a haze of solitude, with Dante and I barely crossing paths in his giant home. The air between us crackles with unspoken words and veiled glances before I leave for work and before I head to bed. Despite his towering presence, I find myself avoiding him like the plague, preferring the solace of my own company over the icy atmosphere he exudes.

The absence of his arrogance has brought an unexpected sense of freedom, a reprieve from the suffocating dislike that hangs between us like a heavy fog. Yet, despite his absence, his existence looms large in my thoughts, a constant reminder of the tangled web I found myself in.

As the days roll on, I find myself caught in a whirlwind of conflicting emotions. Dante's abrupt departure on what he called "an urgent business trip" left me with more questions than answers. But it's not just his absence that's weighing on my mind; it's the strange measures taken to ensure my safety in his absence.

The looming of undercover officers watching over me at work is unsettling, to say the least. Their covert glances and discreet surveillance feel invasive, as if every move I make is being scrutinized under a microscope. It's throwing me off balance, leaving me to wonder what exactly Dante is involved in and why I need protection in the first place. I mean what possible crap can a technician even associate himself with? Did he accidentally plant a bomb in someone's disk and now the person is after him?

Despite the unsettling situation with the agents, I push my suspicions aside. Overthinking has never been my style, and dwelling on Dante's mysterious situation would only lead to unnecessary stress. Instead, I focus on the present, determined to carry on with my routine and not let the peculiarities of his actions consume me.

Counting today, five days have passed since he left Miami to do his stuff. My days have been filled with work at the club, exercising and catching up with my best friend Luna. I haven't seen her in such a long time, and it was definitely time to meet up. She was my classmate all throughout high school and college and I am so glad for it. We helped each other through our ups and downs, highs and lows. She's practically like a sister I never had. Today we went over our favorite memories, and one of them is when we both wanted to be rebels as seniors, so we dyed our hair blue - and her hair still remains as such, due to her attachment.

Now unlocking the door to the top floor of the penthouse, I step inside and immediately I am greeted by a wholesome woman in her fifties, who happens to be Dante's personal housekeeper. I never understood why people needed those, when they could cook and clean for themselves just fine. Still, her energy is very welcome in this empty house.

"Oh, Miss Valencia, you are all soaked!" She exclaims, pointing out my drenched hair and smudged mascara.

After me and Luna parted ways, I sat down on my motorcycle and heavy rain started pouring down on me. And later, the said rain caused me to fall and even with a helmet on, it erupted a bad headache. That is just my luck these days, I guess.

"I told you to call me by my name," I chuckle as I hang my damp leather jacket on the hallway bench.

"It's the gentleman's order, I'm afraid," she says apologetically. I try my best not to roll my eyes at the word gentleman, as there is nothing gentlemanly about the man, I now call my fiancé. I hesitate to step into the living room when she looks me up and down, my top all of a sudden feeling tight.

"Is there something wrong?" I ask, my eyes showing the slightest bit of concern.

"Did you ride your bike again?" She asks while checking out the helmet I am holding in my left hand, and I know what she's about to say. "You know Mr. Romano advised against it when you moved here."