𝟒 | 𝐁𝐮𝐬𝐢𝐧𝐞𝐬𝐬 𝐝𝐞𝐚𝐥

song: PLAZA - all mine

⋆・𝐆𝐢𝐚𝐧𝐧𝐚・⋆

The night before last turned out to be a whirlwind of unexpected events. It's like I've been cast in a movie I never auditioned for, and now I just want to change the channel. My mind feels foggy, like it's been filled with dense clouds.

Just before my shift started, my dad called, dropping bombshell news that left me reeling. I was already surprised to see him calling, because normally he's too busy licking asses of rich businessmen and criminals (not literally) to expand his wealth and company. After he was done verbally attacking my workplace and how I will never find a man in business like that, he told me I'm forced to meet up with some bachelor, as he called him. However, he doesn't tend to work with good little boys who wear golden crowns and get their feet massaged every week. The fact that he didn't even care to listen to my protest goes to prove how he really doesn't give a shit about me.

Then, when I walked up to my apartment, slightly exhausted from work, I stopped in my tracks. I looked around to see if I missed my entrance, but of course I didn't. Believe it or not, I do have some intellectual property to know where I live. There was an orange box with a black ribbon sitting right at my door. With a twist of my key, I let myself in, bringing the mysterious box along. After dumping my bag and keys, I cradled the box in my arms and plopped it onto the kitchen island, eager to uncover its contents. The label read Hermès.

Two days ago, I was only joking about it. My eyes then caught sight of a black business card nestled within the folds of the ribbon. "I sincerely apologize for touching you," it read, signed off by none other than Dante Romano. My disbelief grew as I opened the box and peeled away the wrapping paper. And there it was, a black Birkin bag with a gleaming golden lock.

Dante may be insufferably arrogant, but he's clearly swimming in cash. Too bad I won't see him again to ask for a red one as well.

And today was supposed to be my day off, a rare chance to unwind, but of course, my dad had to go and mess up my plans. Just as I was about to prepare for my run earlier today, a text from him popped up, disrupting my peace. Apparently, I need to make my way to his office in New York within the next five days to meet the previously mentioned bachelor. But wait, it gets better. According to my dear dad, I should dress to impress because there's a possibility I might have to marry this mystery man. Just like that.

Sure, I've known for the past couple of years that he's been planning to marry me off into a family with a sparkling reputation, all to boost his own business and social standing. But to make it happen within a few days? That's a whole new level of insanity. My skin practically crawls at the thought of being forced into a marriage with some stranger my dad handpicked just to stroke his ego. Did we suddenly decide to rewind women's rights by a century or something?

I mean I could always just sit there, look pretty and then murder him while he sleeps, right? It's not like being married to me will be any less torturous. I'm a woman with many wishes and needs after all.

~~~

As three days pass in a whirlwind of meeting up with friends and working behind the bar, I pause one of my favorite episodes of season five of Gossip Girl and close my laptop, reluctantly tearing myself away from the drama of the Upper East Side. Sliding out of bed, I make my way to the bathroom, the warm steam enveloping me as I step into the shower. The hot water cascades over me, washing away the stress of the day along with any lingering traces of sleep.

Afterward, I sit down at my vanity, the mirror reflecting my determined expression as I set to work on my makeup. With practiced precision, I apply eyeliner, falsies, and lipstick, adding a touch of contour to sculpt my cheeks just right. I glance at my reflection, satisfied with the result.