𝟏𝟎 | 𝐈𝐧𝐧𝐨𝐜𝐞𝐧𝐭 𝐭𝐨𝐮𝐜𝐡

song: lana del rey - gods & monsters

⋆・𝐃𝐚𝐧𝐭𝐞・⋆

My days have been a whirlwind of deception and action, a cycle I've grown accustomed to over the years. A week ago, more trouble surfaced in my world, so I told Gianna I was going on a business trip with a company of mine, but that was a half-truth at best.

In reality, I had a more pressing matter to attend to - tracking down the man who had dared to threaten her safety. With my team at my side, I hunted the bastard down, who turned out to be a member of Bianchi's crew, as suspected. After Enzo and one of my best hitmen, Jay, busted down his hideout and strapped him down, I wasted no time in getting information out of him. It turned out he was willing to spill all his team's dirty secrets after having his stomach split open. Soon after, I didn't hesitate to end his life without remorse.

As though I present myself as a composed gentleman, there are times when I simply show no gentleness or mercy. Especially when someone harms something that's mine - even if I had little choice in choosing if this particular person will be mine.

And amidst the chaos of my pursuit, a call from my housekeeper interrupted my plans. She expressed concern over Gianna's state, warning me that my "wife" may be feeling unwell. It was an unexpected complication, one that forced me to reassess my priorities. I cancelled one of my important meetings with Dean and flew home, so I could've at least looked like I fully cared. And to think, she got better a day after I came.

As I grapple with the weight of my responsibilities, a call from my mother breaks through the haze of my thoughts, irritating me with its untimely intrusion. Her voice, filled with warmth and expectation, filters through the phone, carrying news of an engagement party she's organizing. In her eyes, our engagement is a love story that deserves to be celebrated. By no means, she knows very well that all of this was arranged, but she still believes we ended up falling for one another in a matter of weeks.

"It's not necessary," I assert, my tone tinged with annoyance. But my mother, ever persistent, brushes aside my protests.

"It's already arranged," she insists, her voice unwavering in its determination. The venue is booked, the staff prepared. Of course they are - she was this excited about Adelina too, but with a reason. She met her multiple times before attempting to throw a party, which did not happen, but she and Gianna have not even exchanged names or interactions.

Resigned, I agree, my annoyance growing. Another layer of falsehood in my life, another act to play. But I'll go along, concealing the truth from prying eyes.

I stride toward Gianna's room, intending to deliver the news of the forsaken upcoming party, but I halt just outside her door, hesitating. The thought of spending even a moment longer in her presence than necessary makes me grimace. Deciding to delay the encounter, I head for the kitchen, seeking solace in a shot of whiskey.

As I enter the tiled room, I'm met with the sight of Gianna, already there, dressed in a sleek black two-piece outfit, her face adorned with makeup. She's busying herself with preparing a fruit snack, seemingly unfazed by my arrival.

"A party, huh?" she remarks casually, and before I can question how she's already aware, she adds, "I overheard you in the office." She shrugs, not looking at me, just fully invested in her snack. "You yell when you talk."

I grunt in response, pouring myself a drink on the other side of the kitchen island. The clinking of ice cubes fills the silence between us as I take a long sip, relishing the burn of the alcohol.

Her gaze remains fixed on a knife way too giant to be resting in her hands. "So, what's the occasion?" she asks nonchalantly, slicing a piece of pineapple with precision.