~Mini-chapter 5~: Heart

Date to publish: 9/29/23
°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~°~•~°

TW: Suicidal ideation

If you can't read this mini-chapter, I will be putting a summary at the end. Take care of yourself <3

~°•

"He killed so many people Graecie. Thats why he was sentenced to this hellhole. And now he's out to kill every other demon he can in here."

Apo's voice was small, eyes tearing up. Their hands were shaking, but of fear or betrayal he didn't know.

Up until that point, they hadn't had a chance to truly lay out what had happened, and now all the emotion that had been put on hold by the fear and need to survive came rushing in.

It was a pain like they never imagined. Their heart was in pure agony, like it was being squeezed to death by hot metal. He felt lightheaded and choked up, and could barely breathe. It wasn't just Owen, it was the pain of the words everyone else had said, the memory of his brother, and the war that had ruined so much.

They almost wished Owen had succeeded. This pain was worse than the spear through them.

Owen made note of Apo's retelling. He hadn't changed anything. He hadn't even excluded why he was sentenced to the maze in the first place, which surprised Owen. Why was Apo admitting he used to hate humans?

Apo felt terrible for telling everyone what Owen had done, despite the severity of his actions. All he could think was 'I used to be the same way...' Why had he survived. He'd take bleeding out under the illusion of escape over this if he had the choice.

Graecie turned to Rasbi. "You haven't said anything yet. What do you think?"

Rasbi sighed. "Apo lied to me before. He's lied to all of us before. But they're not a murderer, and neither is Owen. Obviously one of them is telling the truth... but I don't know."

Graecie nodded. "Okay, I think we've heard enough. Unless anyone else wants to speak up, Rasbi and I will talk about what we think should happen. There is also something I want to run past Magic." She nodded at Magic to walk out of earshot, and the three of them talked for a bit.

Owen was eerily calm. While this hadn't gone exactly how he would've wanted it to, he was still sure Apo was going to at least go to prison.

Despite his awful feelings, Apo was terrified of what would happen if he went to prison and Owen didn't. He kept glancing at Rasbi, Guts, Kr-

Krow was missing.

Apo felt their stomach turn upside-down.

°•~°•~°•~°•~°•~

Summary: Apo feels terrible for calling out Owen's actions. Rasbi and Graecie both agree that while Apo has lied before, he isn't a murderer, but neither is Owen. Owen isn't worried about the verdict. He is confident in his own skills, but is curious why Apo didn't exclude the reason (Apo) was put into the maze. Apo is very concerned about the verdict, and scans the room to see potential targets Owen could have if he isn't arrested. They notice Krow is missing. Their heart sinks.