~21~ Choices

A/N: the fact this thing is ending on chapter 21 when Owen's pov is 21h long on YT.

TW/CW: knives, read note.

Note: I will not be using further content warnings this chapter, there are quite a few. Please read with caution. I will say all have occurred previously in this fic, so if you had no prior issues, as far as I am aware, this chapter is good as well.

2,476 words
°•~°•~°•~°•

"Magic? MAGIC!" Owen pleaded, pressing against the once-cold blackstone door.

No response.

At least, not from Magic. His brain erupted in sound. The voices always chose the worst times to chime in.

SLAYYY!

C!Magic let's GO!

It's definitely not good that I want C!Owen to win.

NOOOO!

Gaslight, gatekeep, girlboss Owen.

Owen, for once, ignored them. There were more important matters to consider.

For starters, he was freezing. It was boiling hot in the cell, but he was freezing. Magic had been his last hope. Nobody else was coming. Nobody else cared.

The lava was now so close on all sides that Owen could hear it rumbling and bubbling. Owen walked over to the blackboard. He had all but ignored it up until this point, but now he desperately needed a distraction from his sinking fear. All his mental ability had been used up, he had tried everything.

Owen knew he was going to die there. There was no escape to be had. Nobody to manipulate, no keys to open doors. Nothing he could break down, and the closest thing to an escape had been sealed up. He didn't know who he was. Maze Owen and soldier Owen seemed to blend into one husk of a dead man.

He had spent so much mental effort and denial to separate the two, but as they blended together in his last moments, all his values clashed and broke each other apart. He was at war with his environment and himself, and like his last war, he was going to fail.

Owen held what remained of the chalk up to the blackboard. He had no memory of picking it up. He stared at the board for a few seconds, simultaneously dazed and unsure what to do. Eventually, he drew a few lines.

"So, voices, do you want to play noughts and crosses?"

|

Apo watched Magic's face carefully. She seemed to be horrified and proud. Apo's knife was hidden in their pocket, and they were standing near the trapdoor. He was ready.

"So..?" Apo asked in a collected whisper.

"Just be reasonable. Don't let anything he says change what you're there to do. Get closure and leave it all behind, okay? Its not up to me what you want to do with Owen, but don't let anything he says affect your actions. We'll be at the dark maze as long as we can. If you get to it and we aren't there, try to find us inside."

Apo nodded one last time, then hesitated.

Magic started out the door, and Apo called out.

"Magic?"

She stopped. "Yes?"

Apo stepped forward and hugged her. "Thank you."

Magic tensed slightly, but hugged back. "Just promise me you'll stay safe."