Chapter 9

Ashley and Leon hugged the side wall while I kept a careful eye on the advancing Granados towards the entrance of the church. A surge of adrenaline coursed through me as an idea formed in my mind. Drawing from my past S.T.A.R.S training, I swiftly devised a plan and began setting up a trip wire using a grenade.

Ashley's voice trembled with panic as she asked, "What do we do?"

Leon, calm and composed, responded with assurance, "Your father trusts me, Ashley. And I need you to trust me too. Do exactly as I say."

With the trip wire in place and securely fastened, I turned to Ashley, offering a reassuring smile. "Don't worry, Ashley. We're going to get you home safe," I said, my voice filled with determination.

As the forceful impact of the Granados broke open the church doors downstairs, panic filled the air. Leon quickly spotted a ladder nearby and pointed it out to us. Without hesitation, Ashley climbed up the ladder, her small frame disappearing into the attic above. We anxiously waited as she reached the top and then obediently lowered the ladder down to us.

With the ladder securely in place, I swiftly ascended into the attic, pulling the ladder up behind me to prevent any pursuers from following. Peering out of the window, I surveyed the surroundings, evaluating the best route for our escape. Taking a deep breath, I made a calculated leap onto a nearby platform, landing with practiced precision.

Leon followed suit, his movements fluid and assured. Despite Ashley's initial hesitation, she found solace in Leon's strong, comforting presence as the shockwave from the trip wire explosion reverberated through the building. With my senses heightened, I stealthily approached a nearby Granado, swiftly neutralizing them without a sound.

Leon quickly reached out to Hunnigan for an update. She provided him with the coordinates for the extraction point, emphasizing the urgency of reaching it safely. Aware of the stakes, I followed closely behind Leon, while Ashley stayed by our side, her trust unwavering.

As we pressed forward, the Granados soon became aware of our presence. In response, Leon swiftly took charge, guiding Ashley with him as they moved with purpose. Meanwhile, I positioned myself strategically, laying down suppressive fire and utilizing grenades to keep the Granados at bay.

The worsening weather added to the chaos and urgency of our escape. We ran along a narrow bridge, the wind and rain battering against us. In the distance, a house door swung open, revealing Luis, who gestured forcefully for us to join him. Without hesitation, we made a beeline towards him, our hearts pounding with a mix of relief and determination.

Ashley swiftly entered the house, followed closely by Leon and me. Luis, realizing the tension in the air, hurriedly blocked the door with a makeshift barrier of wood. As my gaze met Luis', a surge of anger coursed through me, but before I could confront him, Leon stepped in, gripping Luis' shirt and pressing him against the wall.

Luis, his voice laced with nervousness, attempted to address the earlier conflict. "About earlier-"

Leon abruptly cut him off, his voice filled with authority as he tightened his grip. "Save it. We have more pressing matters to deal with."

Luis's eyes shifted to Ashley, a hint of flirtation creeping into his tone. "Ah, I see you've found your 'missing senorita.'"

Ashley, clearly unimpressed, retorted, "The 'senorita' has a name, and it's Ashley. And who might you be?"

"Luis. Encanto," he replied, a touch of playful charm in his voice.

Interrupting the exchange, I interjected, urgency in my words. "Can we save the introductions for later? We've got a situation." I gestured towards the Granados who had just breached the metal door, their menacing presence closing in on the house. Leon and Luis instinctively sprang into action.

Together, we lifted a cupboard, revealing a hidden hole through which Ashley could safely crawl. With her out of harm's way, Luis proudly brandished his Red9 pistol, a determined smile gracing his face. "It's game time," he declared, exuding confidence.

While Luis and Leon prepared to engage the approaching Granados, I swiftly moved around the area, barricading entrances and fortifying our position. The Granados closed in, their numbers overwhelming, but with Leon's expertise and Luis's familiarity with firearms, we stood a fighting chance.

As the intensity of the battle escalated, a strategic retreat became the most sensible option. Just as we were about to be overwhelmed, Ashley appeared through a back door, urgency in her voice. "Guys, this way! Hurry!"

I provided cover fire, keeping the Granados at bay as the four of us hastily made our escape from the house. Once we reached a gate, Leon swiftly aimed and shot the chain, causing it to drop and cutting off our pursuers. Exhausted and adrenaline still coursing through my veins, I leaned against the wall, taking a moment to catch my breath and gather my thoughts.

Suddenly, Ashley doubled over, coughing up blood, mirroring the symptoms Leon had experienced earlier. Fear and confusion filled her eyes as she wondered aloud, "What's happening to me?"

Luis, recognizing the severity of the situation, approached Ashley and noticed the blood on her hands. Concern etched across his face, he asked, "Ashley, is this the first time you've coughed up blood like this?"

Ashley nodded, confirming it was her first encounter with such symptoms. Sensing the urgency, I looked to Luis, demanding an explanation. "This is the part where you explain," I pressed, my tone filled with a mix of worry and determination.

Stepping back, Luis composed himself before revealing the unsettling truth. "The cough, the blood, it's caused by something called 'Plaga,'" he explained, his voice filled with a sense of gravity.

Eager to grasp the full extent of the threat, I probed further. "And what is this Plaga going to do to them?" I asked, my voice betraying a mix of apprehension and curiosity.

Luis took a deep breath before responding, his expression solemn. "Okay, you saw those 'people,' right?" he directed his words towards the Granados outside. "Well, you have the same thing inside you, the same thing that made them like that."

I lightly grazed my face with my hand, acknowledging the unsettling truth. "Leon and Ashley do. I'm completely unaffected," I admitted, a mixture of relief and concern evident in my voice.

Luis's eyes widened in disbelief. "That's impossible. No host can reject it," he countered, struggling to comprehend the anomaly.

With a hint of mystery and a touch of defiance, I responded, "Guess I'm just special then," choosing not to disclose the true reasons behind my immunity to the Plaga.

Luis, despite his past ties to Umbrella, offered a glimmer of hope. He revealed his ability to surgically remove the Plaga, assuring us that he could help. The gravity of the situation and the lives of Leon and Ashley hanging in the balance led me to make the decision to trust him, setting aside my reservations.