DITTO

Melissa

No matter how much I pestered my father over dinner he didn't tell me a thing. The man's been keeping secrets his entire life, it's also a genetic skill that passed onto me. Squeezing information out of his is a lot of work. If you know him well enough it's possible, he'll slip when his guard is down, mostly when there's something he wants. It's just a matter of figuring out what he wants.

He chuckles as he sips his whiskey, "You were going to quit, weren't you?"

"I ain't telling you shit daddio. You seem to know a lot more than you let on, you probably know about my new business venture already huh?"

"No, what is it?"

I raise my brows at him, "Why were you at Charlie Knight's office today? You tell me that and I'll tell you everything."

The knowing smile that creeps up on his face pisses me off and I grumble at him. Other than the plotting it was nice to spend the day with him, and I did end up telling him about Cindy and her line. To my surprise, he was a hundred percent supportive, and when I mentioned it was a kids' line, he seemed to smile inwardly.

"Melissa, I know I've somewhat chosen your future for you, you're my only child, and it's important for me to know you're taken care of when I'm gone. I also don't want you to be alone. Have you thought of finding someone? Maybe giving your old man some grandkids to spoil? We're not going to be around forever; I'd like to see the next generation of Martin's before my back gives out."

"Well, they wouldn't technically be Martin's would they, if I got married that is. Or I can get knocked up by someone if you like. That'll make them a Martin."

"So, things aren't going well with the Knight boy?"

"I fucking knew it; you're sticking your nose where it doesn't belong." He laughed and that was the end of that conversation.

What a day. I got home that evening and couldn't shut my head off, so I ran on the treadmill to wear myself out until I couldn't run anymore and crashed. I had planned on taking the next day to myself and do a whole lot of nothing, but Charlie had other ideas. I came out to find him making breakfast in my kitchen.

His being there wasn't a big surprise, but his outfit was bizarre, mostly because he looked relatively normal, for him. Navy shorts, a white polo shirt and suede shoes, the only adornment he really has right now are all the tattoos covering his arms.

"Good morning sleepy head," he says from the stove.

"What the hell are you wearing?" I walk over to him like a zombie and bump right into him, bury my face into his chest and take a deep whiff of his scent, "Mm, you smell great."

Charlie puts his arm around me and takes the pan off the stove before turning it off and kissing me. It hasn't been that long since we've seen one another but damn, that kiss knocked me off my feet. Suddenly I'm not so sleepy anymore and my body is alight with anticipation.

Charlie pulls his lips off mine, "As much as I want to be balls deep in you right now Honey, I need you to get dressed, we're going out."

I bury my face even deeper into him, "I don't wanna."

He turns me around and slaps me on my butt to get me moving, "Wear white soled shoes and sun protection."

I grumble at him as I make my way back to the bedroom, "There'd better be coffee when I get back."

Charlie took me sailing, I didn't even know he had a sailboat. I'm not sure how he knew it was one of my favorite pass times, but here we are out on the water, chilling in the sun wrapped up in his arms having a beer. He's doing that thing that drives me crazy with his fingers, running his fingertips under the strap of my top. I doubt he even knows just how horny that makes me.

"Where's Archie?"

"With my sister."

"When will you find out about the adoption?"

"My lawyer said as soon as tomorrow."

"Wow, that's fast," I take a deep breath and let it out slowly, "makes me nervous just thinking about it." I look up at him and when those blue piercing eyes meet mine, I feel giddy like a schoolgirl.

Charlie smirks as if enjoying the effect he has on me, "There's no reason it shouldn't go through." His smirk turns into a full-blown smile, "You're thinking of me naked, aren't you?

"I am now. I'm also thinking about what my father was doing at your office yesterday."

Charlie's smile fades and his brows knit, "He told you?"

"I saw him go into your building."

"What were you doing outside my building?"

"Taking a walk."

He scoffs, "A likely story."

"Are you two scheming?"

Charlie leans his head back and closes his eyes, "Naturally, it's what we do."

"What did he want?"

"Oh no, I called him, he was nice enough to come to my office since my day was fully booked."

"Really?"

"Mm," I watch him basking in the sun without a care in the world. This is just getting annoying now. One of Charlie's eyes peeks open and looks my way, "This is killing you, isn't it?"

"Little bit," I mutter making my displeasure clearly readable.

He closes his eyes and sighs, with a bit smile taking pleasure in my suffering, "If you must know I was asking him for your hand in marriage."

Holy shit, "No, you didn't."

Charlie looks at me, "Well, no not literally, I know you're the one I have to ask but I thought I'd do it right and, you know, win some brownie points with my future father-in-law."

"You seem very confident I'm going to say yes."

"Aren't you?"

"Ye, doi."

Charlie laughs, "Okay Honey, let's do this right so when we tell our kids how it happened, I don't have to say: her reply was ye doi."

I can't help but chuckle. Ever since Charlie admitted he calls me Mrs. Knight in his head he had me hook line and sinker. Hell, he had me at pocket squares.

"Melissa Valerie Martin, will you do me the honor of being my wife?"

"Totes."

Charlie throws his head back and closes his eyes again, "Sweet!" I laugh and smack him playfully on the chest. He quickly gets up and takes my hand, "Come on, your ring's inside. Didn't want to risk dropping it out here."

I follow him downstairs into the hull, "This feels like a ploy to lure me into the bedroom."

"A hundred percent, we're going to christen the boat," he stops almost as if remembering something, "Oh, and just so you know, I love you 'n all that stuff."

I chuckle, "Ditto."