THE NIGHT BEFORE

Melissa

It was disgusting just how good life got after Charlie finally got custody. He spent all night thanking me for that one, it was the best money I ever spent. I finally quit smoking for good, Cindy's line had taken off a month later and orders were pouring in, and the wedding plans were going great, at least so I was told. Charlie refuses to share any details with me. He said the agreement was I just show up, and that was my part. The wedding's tomorrow and I don't even know where it is.

Even the dress fitting was a convoluted ploy to keep me confused and out of the loop. Both Brenda and Laurie came, both of them were tight lipped, and I had to be fitted into five different dresses that Charlie picked out beforehand. Honesty, any of them would do. You'd think since I was interested in fashion that this would excite me at least a little, but I think ever since my parents' little relationship drama weddings just don't seem to do it for me. One of the dresses I liked because it wasn't too wedding-ish; it had long lace sleeves and covered the whole chest and had a boned bodice, though the color irked me, it was too white, ivory would have been a much classier choice. I am curious as to what Charlie will wear, knowing it could literally be anything.

I was hoping the girls might spill some details at the bachelorette party, but Laurie only said one thing, proof that Charlie had bought them out, "Sorry, but he promised me a week off in the Caribbean, I need a break, I ain't telling you shit."

I'm actually looking forward to it being over and just being Charlie's wife. There's only one thing that I'm nervous about, meeting Charlie's mother. She raised him single handedly and helped shape him into the incredible man he is today.

Last week Charlie started moving his and Archie's stuff into my place while Brenda moved into his apartment. I had to have one of the smaller guest bedrooms converted into a walk-in for all his clothing, but there was no way in hell I was culling anything of my stuff to allow for his gaudy collection.

So here I am, lying in bed happy as a clam in my hotel suite trying to fall asleep the night before my wedding day. Yup, just me, all by myself. Hey, that's a song.

"All by myself, don't wanna be, all by myself, anymoooore!" There's a knock on the door that adjoins to another suite, "Sorry! I'll shut up!"

"It's me you looney," Charlie laughs from the other side of the door and I rush over to open it.

"Hey," I look him up and down, nothing but briefs and a whole lot of ink, "well hello there, I didn't know my neighbor was such a hottie. You wanna fuck?" I wiggle my brows at him, "But we have to be quiet, I think my fiancé is staying in this hotel."

"I would but I just heard this dreadful howling noise," he says wrapping arms around me, "like an animal in pain, maybe we should put it out of its misery."

"Yes please," I chuckle as he kisses me, "put me out of my misery."

Charlie smiles, "Now, tell me the story about these ghastly pajamas."

I look down at the pajamas completely covered in cartoon penises, "Oh we have my maid of honor to thank for this delightful choice in sleepwear. I'm not exactly sure why dicks are all the rage for bachelorette themes."

"I don't know either, you don't see vulvas being paraded around at bachelor nights."

"They're attached to the strippers."

He shrugs, "Are you nervous about tomorrow?"

"I didn't think so, but my stomach feels all funny. I'm a little nervous the dress won't fit, I think I gained some weight."

Charlie's brows knit, "Have you taken a test?"

"What test?"

"Pregnancy test."

We did have this talk a while back, we'd stop using protection and let nature take its course. "You think I might be pregnant? My boobs do feel bigger."

"Really?" Charlie's hands slide up under my pajama top, he cups my breasts and starts to gently fondle them, "Huh."

I laugh, "Huh?"

"Shh, they require further examination. There's a convenience store downstairs, should I go get a test?"

"I'll come with you."

Charlie quickly threw on some clothes, and I grabbed a robe and my uggs, and we giggled all the way to the convenience store, holding hands like a couple of kids. On the way back through the lobby Charlie stopped in his tracks and I bumped into the bak.

I peek out from behind him to see a stoic Japanese woman.

"Mother," Charlie says in Japanese, "what are you doing here?"

Oh shit, it's Charlie's mom. Charlie mentioned she didn't speak any English.

Her eyes dart to me, she quickly looks me up and down and her eyes land on pajama pants sticking out from under my robe, "I just came back from dinner."

Charlie pulls me out from behind him, "Mother, this is Melissa. Mel, this is my mom, Nakamura Yui."

I bow, "Good evening mother. I apologize for my appearance; my maid of honor thought it amusing to provide these pajamas for tonight. Did you enjoy your dinner?"

Yui smiles, "Yes, I did, thank you. Charlie, why didn't you tell me your fiancé spoke Japanese?"

Charlie clears his throat, "Honestly, because I didn't know, she's been keeping secrets."

I shrug, "It's never come up."

Yui's eyes dart to the pregnancy test in my hand and back at me. The smile that breaks through her calm face is so pure and genuine, and before I know it, she's hugging me and then Charlie.

"I'll leave you to your...evening," she looks at us, clapping her hands, "good luck." She adds before running off to the elevator.

Charlie looks at me, "You speak Japanese?"

"Mandarin too."

He shakes his head, smiling as leading me towards the elevator, "Unbelievable."

Once we were back in my room Charlie opened the pregnancy test and read the instructions while I peed into a cup in the bathroom.

"Right, dip it into your pee for five seconds," he says through the door.

"That's it?"

"Yep."

I open the door and he hands me the strip. I take off the cap and he watches me dip it into the cup.

"One, two, three, four, five," we both count in unison.

I put the cap back on and leave it near the sink. Charlie stands behind me and hugs me from behind.

I sigh, "Okay, now I'm nervous."

"Ditto." I look up at Charlie who watches me in the mirror, "I've thought more about what you said, about moving."

"Oh?"

"I've decided to sell my company, to your father. Let's move somewhere, anywhere you want."

"Are you serious?"

Charlie nods, "I want to be there for every minute of this," he places his hand on my stomach, "even if it comes out negative tonight, one day it'll be positive." He guides my chin up to look at him, "I love you, Melissa."

"I love you too," Charlie kisses me so gently I practically melt into him.

Positive. The test came out positive.