TELLING ARCHIE

Charlie

I woke up to the sound of Archie calling me from the bathroom. I was so startled I rolled off the couch and fell on the floor.

"What was that sound?" Archie shouts.

I ignored his question and rushed to the bathroom, "Are you okay?"

"You need to wipe my butt." I was so relieved I just sat on the edge of the bathtub for a moment, "What's wrong?"

"I thought maybe you fell over or something."

"I fall over all the time, it's part of being a kid."

"What about wiping butts, when do kids start wiping their own butts?"

Archie giggles, "My butthole gets itchy if I don't do it right."

"Fair enough," I grab the toilet paper and get to work, "what do you want for breakfast?"

"Muesli and yogurt, oh and honey."

"Done, go get dressed and I'll get it ready for you."

As I started making Archie's breakfast, I called Mel.

"Sup baby," she answered out of breath, "how was nap time on the couch?"

I feel myself smiling, "So, I wasn't dreaming, you did kiss me?"

"I couldn't help myself, you're just so darn kissable. Oh man, I can't run and talk."

"I'll make it quick; I just have a quick question for you-"

"Fuck," there was a crashing noise, followed by a splashing sound. Mel must have dropped her phone, again, into water by the sound of it.

The sound started to muffle, and the call disconnected. It's a good thing Mel's loaded; this will be the third phone in just a matter of months. I guess I won't be able to ask her about Jen's mystery papers today.

About midday Laurie buzzed me to let me know my lawyer was on his way with some final papers that needed signing. When he finally arrived, he assured me that once I signed and the papers were filed Archie would be mine. Even Ms. Benton called later that day to say, off record, that she was happy the sister came to her senses so quickly.

I tried calling Mel, but her number was no good. I called her home, and her office with no luck, and not even Laurie had her assistant's number. I was hoping she'd stroll into my office in that little miniskirt again but unfortunately, she did no such thing.

As much as I wanted to show up to her place that evening, I had Archie to take care of. I eventually got an email from Mel later that night, she had dropped her phone in the pond at Cental Park while jogging and spent the whole day with Cindy working on their new business. Andrew is supposed to have a new phone for her tomorrow.

The moment I read it I started to miss her. I didn't see her the next day either, but I did get some great news later that day that I am now legally Archie's primary guardian. I won't believe it until I finally have the paperwork in my hands, but when I told Laurie all she wanted to do was go out and celebrate immediately.

"Laurie-" I try to interrupt her, but she doesn't let me.

"Come on, my treat. I don't get to see much of you, at least let me take you and Archie out tonight," she crosses her arms and knits her brows, "He's my brother too you know."

I sigh, "You're right, fine. Come with me to pick him up and we'll go out."

Little did I know it was a trap. We walked into the exclusive Japanese restaurant that Laurie insisted on going to and were taken to a private room. The moment the sliding door opened to reveal the traditional tatami room my eyes were instantly drawn to my gorgeous fiancé who was already waiting for us.

Mel looks up at me and smiles before getting to her feet and practically jumping me.

I growl into her mouth as she kisses me as if she hasn't seen me in weeks, my hands seem to have a mind of their own and grab fistfuls of her ass.

"Come on Archie, these two need a minute to eat each other," I hear Laurie mumble as she leads Archie away from us.

I regain my senses and release Mel, clearing my throat, "Sorry."

"I'm not," Mel says quietly before taking my hand in hers. I take off my shoes before Mel leads me to the table to sit next to her on the floor.

I watch Mel pour me a cup of sake, "This is a nice surprise."

"I heard the good news," she says putting the sake bottle down.

"What good news?" Archie asks.

Mel covers her mouth and looks at me, brows raised, "You haven't told Archie?"

"How about we order some food first," I begin to say as the sliding door opens and three servers in kimonos come in to laden our table with food, "Okay, never mind."

Archie gets distracted by the food and starts piling up his little plate with the wide assortment of dishes Mel must have ordered, and I watch silently as Mel and Laurie catch up. It's as if I can finally take a breath now that I've finally seen Mel, and I feel her hand squeezing mine under the table, as if she senses something off and is trying to give me comfort as she keeps speaking to Laurie.

I need to tell her just how much I love her; I need to tell her every day.

Mel looks at me and a smile slowly creeps up on her lips as if she's been hearing my thoughts. I lean into whisper in her ear, "I know what you did."

When I pull back Mel is blushing, "I'd like to see you try and prove it."

I lean in closer, "Prove what?"

"Exactly," she whispers before I kiss her. She seems to melt a little and sighs into my mouth.

Laurie clears her throat, "We need a new rule, what do you think Archie, no sucking face in front of other people who are trying to keep their food down."

Archie looks at Laurie, "Yeah, it's gross."

"You'll get used to it," I mutter.

"Yeah, exposure therapy," Mel adds before attacking her food.

"Archie buddy, the news is that I've finally been appointed your legal guardian. So, from now on, you're staying with me permanently. I hope that's okay with you, but you'll have to start wiping your own bu."

Archie gets to his feet and starts jumping up and down, screaming unintelligible something's. He looks happy as he runs around the table and throws himself in for a hug. I pull him onto my lap and hugged him tightly. When I look at Laurie she's wiping tears from her face, while Mel just watches me with a big, satisfied smile. She did this. Without her this could have dragged on. Laurie brough Mel back into my life, and Mel made sure Achie stayed.

I owe these two women everything.