Birdy

Roseanna Wren

I lie open-eyed thinking about the game we just played.

The look in his eyes, defeated and blemished was not something I was expecting and I didn't even know if a simple question would turn into this.

I looked at the time and it was past 2 in the morning and everyone was in a deep sleep. But I.......

I was still thinking about the hurt he had in his eyes.

So that means, he had loved someone truly but it never worked out.But......The pain in his eyes was still fresh like he just had a breakup.

I turned towards where Asher was sleeping but he wasn't. He was gazing at the stars above, the misery and pity was visible in his eyes.And to think it's all because of me, it felt really bad.

I turned away from him even when I wanted to console him though I couldn't and slipped into a restless sleep.

*********

After a thorough session of how to kayak, we all were set towards the journey of Cunning Island where we would be staying for the night to outlook the northern lights.

But all my excitement had drained out as his eyes have been haunting me day and night.

I looked at Asher who was rowing quite far from me.So, I decided to apologise if I was rude yesterday. But now, I need to enjoy this. An apology is to be asked for but I need to enjoy this for now.

I looked around as I just wanted to memorise the view in front of me. I saw a magnificent Iceberg a bit far and the sound of seals on top of it. I slowed down to look at them and told everyone to go ahead, I went closer to them and thought about how cute they were.

"We must go on Roseanne Wren." I heard his ice cold voice and my heart got hurt hearing him saying my full name.

I looked around to see no one around,did they leave this early?Well, I guess this is the right time to apologise.

I turned towards him being ready to face him.But as soon as I turned around, his eyes widened seeing something at my back.

That was when I realised something Big,Powerful and forceful moving below the water.

The feeling of its presence gave me chills down through my spine, knowing something bad is gonna happen.

"What is-" He signalled me to be silent before I could even finish.

"Birdy, listen to me. First, just calm down and don't panic.It's just a whale, it will go away. Don't move.Stay still." He said in an absolute calm gesture while my head automatically nodded, my body froze.

I tried to have a look at it with my side-eye but I could just sense what was happening.

I heard a loud bang and I was on air another second. I wasn't on my kayak anymore and I didn't know what was happening until I heard Asher's loud command.

"DON'T YOU DARE PASS OUT.KEEP SWIMMING TOWARDS ANY ICEBERG CLOSE TO YOU."

"THEY ARE NOT ONLY WHALES BUT SHARKS. THEY ARE DANGEROUS."

I got back on the surface looking around, there was no kayak, no baby seals and.....

HELL NO;

No Asher.

Oh wait...He told me to swim towards an iceberg. I could see one iceberg a bit far from where I was.

I tried to swim towards that iceberg but because of the extreme fear and chilling water, I wasn't even able to move my hands but soon I felt someone pulling my waist and we were moving very fast towards the iceberg.