Chapter Eleven

Luke and Michael ended up sitting next to each other at lunch pretty much every day.

They got to know each other more as the days went by, and started working on the art project during lunch.

"We should probably get together after school sometime this week, since the project is due in two weeks" Luke suggested, "unless, of course, you don't want to, which is fine by me. We can just continue working on it at lunch, but we have to focus more on it than anything else, and we have to work on it during class more too."

"Luke, it's fine. I'd definitely want to hang out with you," Michael said, "I just don't know how we'll make it work because of your job."

"Oh, crap. You do have a point there," Luke replied, "I'll text you after work and we can figure something out then."

"Sounds good to me!" Michael exclaimed.

At work, Luke immediately ran towards Ashton and wanted to talk to him.

"Hey," Luke said.

Ashton ignored him.

"Is everything alright?" Luke asked.

Once again, Ashton didn't say a single word.

"Come on, Ash," Luke told him, "Talk to me."

"What's with you and that kid?" Ashton asked with anger in his voice.

"I have no idea what the heck you're talking about," Luke answered.

"You and that kid who dyes his hair all the time," Ashton explained, trying to get Luke to realize who he was talking about.

"You mean Michael?" Luke asked.

"Yeah, if that is what his name is," Ashton answered.

"What's wrong with Michael, Ashton?" Luke asked, "What do you have against him?"

"There's been rumors going around since his first day here. He's a troublemaker, Luke. I'm worried about you. You shouldn't be with him, he's a bad influence," Ashton told Luke.

"I can't exactly do that," Luke said.

"And why not?" Ashton asked.

"He's coming over to my house after work because he's my partner for an art project," Luke explained.

"Fine," Ashton said, rolling his eyes, "I guess you can't control something like that, but I'm warning you right now. Be careful. Don't get too close to him."

"Whatever," Luke mumbled to himself.

To: Michael

Just got off work. Are you still able to hang out for a bit?

Luke put his phone back in his pocket and walked home from work, wondering about what Ashton said.

"He's a troublemaker."

Michael wasn't really a bad person, was he?

He had been nothing but kind to Luke, and as far as Luke knew, he treated everyone else the same way. So why would Ashton say something cruel about Michael? That was a question where the answer remained a complete and utter mystery to Luke.

Luke opened the door to his house and walked inside. He felt his phone vibrate and saw that he got another text. Sure enough, it was from Michael.

From: Michael

Yeah, I'll figure something out.

To: Michael

Okay. Are you sure your parents are okay with you coming over to my house? I mean, they have no idea who I am.

From: Michael

Nah, they're cool with it. I just told them I'm working with you on a school project for a few hours. It'll be fine.

To: Michael

Well, that is what we're doing.

From: Michael

I'm going to get ready, I'll be at your house in about twenty minutes.

Luke decided to not reply to that last message. He wanted to give Michael some privacy.

To be honest, Luke thought that he was bothering Michael. Except, that wasn't quite the case. It wasn't true.

Author's Note: Hi! It's currently 10:30 at night as I am finishing this update. I'm updating this story more frequently until it's completed. Can't believe it's almost over! :-o

What are your thoughts on Luke and Michael getting to know each other more?

Luke overthinking when he would hang out with Michael?

What Ashton said about Michael?

Let me know if you have any questions about this story (other than asking for spoilers) and I'd be happy to answer them.

-Megan :-)