Chapter 6

Before I start this chapter, I just want to say that this chapter will have information about chess, and if you don't play chess, I'll try to make it easier for you guys to understand. But if you guys do, then enjoy the story. Again, thank you again, Spopas7, for helping me with this chapter. Hope you guys like it.

Narrator's POV

This is it. The day of the trials. All of the soldiers lined up with straight faces and gave their full attention to the Captain.

Mitch: Listen up, soldiers! There are actually three challenges. There is one of strength, smarts, and a special challenge at the end. Me and the King will be observing you all to see you past and fail. If you lose any of the challenges we have given you, you're out. But if you pass all challenges or even come close to passing the third one, you get to go on the mission. Understood?

All soldiers: YES, SIR!!!

Mitch: WHO WE'RE FIGHTING FOR?

All soldiers: VALDRONIA!

Mitch: The first trial is over here.

All of the soldiers followed the captain to a small table in the middle of the field. What was surprising was that on the table, there was a chess broad.

Mitch: The first trial is brains. For this mission, you need to think of a way to get out of any situation and find the right moment to attack. And that's not all. You all will be playing against me. *sits down on the chair* Who's up first.

Random soldier: This is going to be a piece of cake.

He was wrong. Every move he did, his pieces always get taken away. His last move was the King (chess piece), and he always moved it until the queen (another chess piece) killed the king.

Mitch: Checkmate.

The soldier shook his head and sat at the bench. Every other soldier lost a game of chess to the Captain and got sitted at the bench.

Although some have managed to beat the Captain. Even Reggie has beaten him.

While it was Alex's turn, he was freaking out on what his next move should be. He could move his bishop to the King, but the queen could take him. He was about to move until he realized what the bigger picture was. He looked at his rook (castle) and saw that Captain's castle was not there anymore, and his knight (horse) was in a different place.

Alex made the move and took the king out.

Alex: Checkmate.

Mitch: Nice job, Alex. See what happens if you don't overthink things.

Alex: Yes, Captain Mitchell.

Alex stood up and walked towards the remaining soldiers who won the game of chess.

But now, it was Luke's turn.

Mitch: Ready to get beaten.

Luke: I think I'm going to enjoy beating you.

Luke and his dad agree that even though their family, they can't go easy on each other. It would just be unfair to all of the soldiers.

It was a really intense game. Every move the Mitch did, Luke would intercept it. The same goes for Luke, too. It was Father against son, but only one will win.

Mitch: You have gotten better.

Luke: I learned from the best.

Mitch: Me? Check.

He moved his queen to where Luke's king was.

Luke: No. Mom.

Luke moved his bishop and took his father's king.