Chapter 7

The video above will give you a sense of what's about to happen if you want to see it. Hope you like it!

Luke's POV

I can't believe it. She's engaged?! That's what she was going to tell me. Not that I blame her for keeping it. It seems like a pretty reasonable thing to keep. But why am I mad at her again?

My dad and I are on our way home, and I need to figure out a way to get out of this mission. I don't think I can be in the same room with her. When my dad and I arrived home, I kept insisting that he take me off the mission.

Luke: Dad, please take me off the mission! I'll clean the stalls or do the laundry for the trainees, I'll even clean my room if I have to. Just please take me off this mission.

Mitch: Luke, you are already committed to the mission. Both me and the King have already made up our minds. But why don't you want to go?

Luke: Uhhh.

Mitch: I'm waiting.

Luke: *sighs* Remember when you caught me at the music festival and the princess was next to me?

Mitch: *nods*

Luke: Well, we sorta became friends, and she was telling me about playing music, and we sorta connected. That's why she was performing with me.

Mitch: *pauses* Luke, I'm going to ask you a question, and you are going to tell me the truth.

Luke: Okay?

Mitch: Do you like the princess?

Luke: What?! Dad, no, of course not!

Mitch: Are you sure because you seemed like you do like her?

Luke: Dad, I don't like her. Not even if you pay me. I would rather walk on a cliff than like her.

Mitch: I'm sorry, Luke. But you have to be on this mission. Start packing. We leave in 4 hours.

Luke: But I-

Mitch: Luke!

Luke: *sighs* Fine whatever.

I walked past him and walked to my room. I grabbed my duffel bag and started packing. While I was packing, I heard a knock at my door.

Emily: *muffled* Sweetie, can I come in?

Luke: Yeah, mom!

My mom opened the door and walked in with a sad smile on her face and sat down next to me.

Emily: Hey, Luke. How's the packing going?

Luke: *sighs* I really don't want to go.

Emily: I know, but you have to. This is a really important mission, and your father really needs help.

Luke: But he knows that I didn't want to become a guard. Sometimes, I wonder why he's being so hard on me.

Emily: *sighs* Because he doesn't want you to go through the same mistake he did.

Luke: *confused* What?

Emily: Before me and your dad met, he was an amazing guitarist like you. He played in different places like in clubs, dances, and even book clubs. And no matter how hard he tried, he could never seem to get noticed. His family turned him away, and it resulted in himself living in the streets. One day, he visited the local homeless shelter to get some food, and that's how we met. We were friends at first, and he decided to become a guard when he was 16. He became friends with the king and the late queen, and me and your dad got married and had you. He doesn't want to see you fail and live in the streets.