Chapter 16

Luke's POV

I jumped when I heard someone coming from the back door. I didn't know who it was until I realized who it was.

???: Luke?

Luke: Hey, Julie.

Julie: *sits next to him* You okay?

Luke: Yeah, I'm fine. Just came here to clear my head.

Julie: What about?

Luke: Just stuff.

Julie: Oh, okay.

There was an awkward silence between us after that. Julie was looking out in the field of lavenders. I made a quick look at her and saw how the sun reflected her face. She looked like she was glowing. But I started so long at her that I didn't notice that she was talking to me.

Julie: Luke?

Luke: Oh, uh. Sorry, I kind of doze off for a bit. What were you saying?

Julie: What I was trying to say is that I wish the lavenders would be dahlias.

Luke: Do you not like lavenders?

Julie: I do. But dahlias are my favorite. And they were also my mom's. I miss her.

She looked down, not wanting to face me.

Luke: I know how you feel. I miss my mom, too. She didn't die, but we have never been this far apart before.

Julie: What was she like?

Luke: She's awesome. One time, when I was little, there was this huge thunderstorm. I was so scared, I ran over to my parents' room, and jumped on their bed. My mom saw I was scared and started singing my favorite lullaby. As I grew older, she helped me get out of the house so that I could play gigs.

Julie: She does sound awesome.

Luke: Yeah, she is. You would've liked her.

There was another silence between us. But this time, it was a peaceful one. I noticed that her hand was close to mine. I was about to bring my hand close to hers, but I decided not to do it. Suddenly, she turned to me with a smirk on her face.

Julie: You know, you still own me that date.

Luke: *scratches his head* Oh, uh, I thought you forgot about that.

Julie: Well, that's another thing you don't know about me, I always remember, Patterson.

Luke: Oh. Calling me by my last name, huh, Molina.

Julie: I just want you to know who's in charge here. So, how about that date you owe me?

She raised her brow while looking at me. Waiting patiently for my answer. To be honest, I was excited about this.

Luke: Well, since you insist, how about we go over to the Firefly Festival?

Julie: Really?

Luke: Yeah.

Julie: But what about your dad? He's not going to let me and you out of his sight.

Luke: Jules, just leave it to me.

*10:00 pm*

My dad and I were in our rooms, getting a good night's sleep. But it was actually my dad who was getting a good night's sleep. I was waiting for the right moment for him to sleep so that I could sneak out with Julie.

When my dad sleeps, he's like a dead person. No one can wake him up. Especially when he snores. Anyway, once my dad is sleeping, I make my way to the door. I made sure to close it gently so that my dad wouldn't wake up.