Chapter 20 : Flirting at the Moon Contest

Future From Me

Chapter 20

Flirting at the Moon Contest

"I wasn't a star upon the sky like the others,

but I will climb up to see P'Newt there every night."

- Baicha's Quote -

"Greetings! Welcome, students and guests, to the University Moon and Star contest!"

P'Newt and P'Pare's greeting on the stage as the hosts was met with a thunderous cheer. Even I, who was backstage, could hear it clearly.

I was on standby for the opening catwalk. I was so nervous that I wished I could disappear from here. I didn't want to join the contest anymore.

"Are you excited? Without further ado, please welcome all the contestants to the stage, starting from the candidates from the Faculty of Medicine..."

"N'Leo, the Moon candidate, and N'Nan, the Star candidate, from the Faculty of Medicine!"

The audience gave an overwhelming response. I remembered these two candidates were the favourites to win this contest. They were good-looking, good at studying and they had P'Newt to help train them.

The hosts then continued to announce the contestants from each school to enter the stage respectively. I waited anxiously for my turn until I heard...

"And our final contestant from the Faculty of Nutrition..."

Oh nooo! It's my turn now!

I walked on the stage under the very bright spotlight nervously, I wasn't aware of anything around me except for the fact that I needed to keep walking. The cheering around me sounded vociferous in my ears.

"N'Baicha, the Star candidate from the Faculty of Nutrition!"

What the...!

I stumbled on my own feet and almost fell. I heard gasps from the audience as they were afraid I would fall off the stage.

What Star? I'm a guy. I was wearing a male student's uniform. Couldn't P'Pare see me?

"He is a Moon candidate, Pare." P'Newt corrected her.

P'Pare seemed shocked and immediately said.

"Oh, I apologise for the mistake. Please allow me to re-introduce him."

P'Pare said.

"N'Baicha, the Moon candidate from the Faculty of Nutrition!"

I felt a bit relieved.

My duty, for now, was just to walk around and stop in the middle of the stage, to join all the other contestants. The hosts made some opening remarks and the contest moved on to the talent show.

I was miserable. Other faculty candidates came in pairs, a Moon and a Star, but I was alone.

"Next, will be the performance from each contestant. Everyone, are you excited?"

"That's right. Each contestant only has 10 minutes to perform. The judging criteria are divided into a few categories: creativity, attractiveness (how interesting and fun the show is), professionalism (level of difficulty, how skilful the candidate is) and overall impression."

"In the meantime, we will let our contestants go backstage and get ready."

After that, we were allowed to leave the stage and prepare ourselves. Many contestants needed to change their clothes. Some needed to set up their equipment. I changed into a chef uniform as well and wore an apron before double-checking my equipment and ingredients.