20

One should not venture outdoors alone at night, especially if that one person is a woman. But if she's the criminal, the rule applies to any man.

It's one a.m., and I'm questioning if what we're about to do has a good ending. I know it certainly won't, but we don't have anything to lose now. I breathe in the cold air while walking towards home, and I pass by a certain café.

~
We enter the cafe, and when we sit down at the counter, an instinct question pops up in my head: "Since we'll be here for a while, let's start knowing each other. I'm Maverine Bellaux"
I extend my hand softly, smiling, covering the fact that I was scared of the storm pouring outside. The soft light of the bar helped me see better, and his face had very defined features, with a sharp jawline and dark black eyes, making the iris and the pupil blend together.

"Of course, how rude of me for not introducing myself earlier." His hand covered mine, this one tattooed too, and with a gentle shake of a hand, he introduces himself as "Gabriele, nice to meet you"

~
He could have invented other better names for his alter ego, but he chose fucking Gabriele. I remember the jacket he gave me to shelter myself from the rain while "making sure I was okay." I feel drops of water slowly hitting my face. What are the coincidences? Time is a bitch.

I arrive at Blaise's place, and I suddenly face about five monitors and overlapped keyboards, with Blaise in the center working his dark magic on them. "Couldn't we use Skype?" he looks at me like I just insulted him

"Skype? You forgot who we are and why we came here in the first place?"

I continue watching him press more buttons on the keyboard until the screen is totally black. I placed my hands on his shoulders and followed the cursor going from monitor to monitor, and all I could do was stay silent.

09890: Lok, who's back?

:Missed us?

"You're sure it's Emanuele and not someone else? Like his brothers?"

"Those guys most probably still struggle with using anything electronic; they probably call him even to just use the coffee machine." Well, not really, but I shut up. "Plus, he always forgets to add the second 'o' in 'look."

09890: What brings you here?

:A truce

Right now, I'd rather eat sand than stay here and read this. I didn't come here for any specific reason; I just want to avoid the chaos and enjoy some peace and quiet for a while. But I guess reading this is my only option at the moment.

09890: You're mad

:We should call a meeting between us as a whole.

09890: What's your plan, smart guy?

:You have what we need; we offer a hand to get what you need.

09890: They won't give in for this stupid reason, a girl

:That's not what we want.

09890: Explain

:We have the same target; the enemy of our enemy should be our friend, right?

"That was horrible," I blurted out of nowhere, and for a moment we both didn't say anything. God This chat looks like those cringey tumblr pages with emotional quotes and chats between couples that had 20 years both put together. I drop my face to face him.

"What"

"The last line," we both have a blank face. We stare at each other awkwardly, and then he shifts.