21

I'm looking at Manu's screen. A hint of anger starts to crawl up my spine as soon as I remember she escaped from the palm of my hand.

But still, a smile runs over my face as I remember her pleading for mercy when her life was once depending on me. My brain resets, and accepts to meet up. I'm going to need her as part of the plan on killing my brother once and for all. Also, what's wrong with this guy's catchphrases?

~

"Amore di papá, ti prego non farlo" my dad was far away from me, and i felt the flame of the match in my fingers. I couldn't move my face, my brain is dead, but I can still feel. I see him, a dad that never wronged me, but still made me be hated by everyone, even my own mother. All I can feel right now is a single tear running down my face.

"Ti prego non farlo, possiamo farcela, solo noi due— he weeps—possiamo vivere insieme, solo io e te" I start feeling sick to my stomach, and i raise my small hand on my tummy. I feel the fire touching my fingers, and I unlit it. My fingers hurt from the burn, but I cannot bring myself to show it.

But I lit another one.

My dad smiles sweetly, and nods at the understanding. He sits on the ground, his face full of tears. I never saw my dad cry before. he looks at me and just says "Ti ho voluto bene, sarai sempre il mio solo vero figlio"

And then I drop the fire, kissing the fresh gasoline that covered the floor.

Goodbye papà.

''''

"What took you so long, codardo? '' Giacomo laughed from the front seat. I cannot deal with any of their bullshit right now. I just try to breathe.

Breathe in, breathe out,Breathe in, breathe out,Breathe in, breathe out,Breathe in, breathe out,Breathe in, breathe out,Breathe in...

~

We all arrive at the restaurant, and table 98 is prepared just for us. I took several breaths remembering last night's nightmare, for then to see what seemed like a model with one blue eye and a brown one, followed by more unknown men that looked the same: tuxedo, short gelled hair and a poker face. I take a relieved breath as I see the door shutting without any black haired woman entering the restaurant, but it's taken away in the same second.

She presents herself in a black suit, pin straight hair and no makeup. She wonts to be intimidating, and if I didn't have the memory of her under me, I would think she was taking no shit from anyone. They all sit down in front of us, and the seat in front of me is occupied by the business woman herself. I lock eyes with her, and she gives me half a smile. I never break the eye contact, and neither does she

"Thank you for considering my invitation to this meeting" Shut up. Iuliano shakes his hand, and I rest my head on my hand. I throw a glance towards her, just to find her still staring with a poker face. My heart sinks to my ass. I'm not proud of what we did to her, what I did to her, but It doesn't mean I wouldn't do it again, and again.

"Please give us a reason we should collaborate with you, so we don't waste our time with empty promises" I look dumb fooled at my brother. Him and the guy that wrote that stupid sentence I've seen on Tumblr could go hand in hand.

The guy from before smiles and takes a page out of his file holder and shortly says "Your father had a brother" My eyebrows shoot up in shock. I glance towards the guy, forgetting about anything else.

I remember dad saying something about a man that was and wasn't his brother in his journals, but I never thought much of it.

"What the fuck boy? If you decided to come here and spit some crap out your mouth then you better take and run" Giacomo is shut by Iuliano with a finger, leaving him growling like a rabid dog. I fight the urge of getting up and cut his neck. Some people are too privileged with vocal cords. He signs for him to continue.

"If you have just a stupid article with a random guy's name so that you could buy some time you may leave-"

"He's not entirely wrong" everyone is looking at me, and that's when i realized i was thinking loudly. "Give me the name please" no one is saying anything, i cannot hear a single inhale or exhale from anyone. I just try to do what I'm good at. Keeping an unfazed poker face.

"Barese" And my heart dipped. I read in those journals about how dad and him were basically enemies since grandpa remarried with a Barese woman, having him and dad as kids. He got murdered afterwards for betraying his name with the Barese family.

"The hell boy, we are Vellonteschi, not Barese"

"He was a half brother" I silenced them again, and I saw her eyes shooting towards me with a pleased look. I feel a part of me relaxing at the sight of her, and I take a deep breath before continuing "He was supposed to be dead too with our grandfather and his second wife, It's a surprise he's still alive" Iuliano looks at me almost disappointed, but still intrigued. Seems his bossy place is threatened.

"Why do we not know about this?" He asks me, and i simply deliver

"He gave me his journals one day, he was mentioned a bunch of times between the years 1930-1940, might have been the days he's been alive"

"And you were so trustworthy to be given them to you? All you ever did is look dead for all your life and do separate training sessions, you were the one crying in his room when we were forced to be militarized by dad. But oh poor little baby was sick of whatever mental disease you were supposed to have. You were nothing but a privileged pussy" And he's so dumb to open a private discussion with someone we don't know. Good job Giacomo.

I pour wine in my glass until it's full, and I start drinking. Maybe he was right, maybe he was wrong, but I'm not involved in private matters, nor do I want to open a wound furthermore. He continued ranting, but he suddenly froze. We all did. All we heard was the click of a gun, but neither of us saw where it was.

"You spill any more personal bullshit and you won't have a dick for that curly haired girl anymore"

Maverine

She was pointing a gun to his crotch under the table. I unintentionally smiled, while no one was paying attention to me. First time she's not in pain. or maybe not the very first time.

"We aren't here to hear whatever you suffered in the past, we're here to discuss business. Save whatever you want to say for later" I grin, and suddenly I see I've emptied the glass. Antaura would break the glass by smashing it in my head, but she's not here, right?

"So what? You want them dead because they killed your goddamn family, sounds like a pathetic private matter to me" and with that sentence, I feel anger building in my stomach in a bunch of seconds.

Now I was the one seeing red. I rose from the chair and took him by the neck, squeezing him and raising him from his own. His eyes shot open, and his face started turning purple. I just wanted to shut his mouth once and for all, but he was still my brother. "You better stop talking since all you did right now is cause useless damage.

Iuliano came to unglue my hand from his neck, but he couldn't. I went near his ear and whispered "Shut your goddamn mouth before I sew it up myself" before shoving him to the ground. I saw a worker near us that wanted to come and tell us to leave, but as we locked eyes, she ran. Poor thing.

I went to my seat and everyone tried not to bring up what had just happened. Still, we looked at each other and all I could understand was that there was a thin string that connected us. She has lost weight since I last saw her with a dress. She was beautiful, but a part of me still wanted her dead. I want to kill what causes me to feel remorse, remorse for not despising her and for what I put her through for nothing, and surely those pity eyes don't help the murderous thoughts I currently have.

This time a louder sound emerged, and it wasn't from anyone at the table. My ears are muffled in a ringing sound that make my brain almost shut down.

A goddamn bomb.