Chapitre Vingt Deux

"How'd it go?" Haruhi asked cautiously as I arrived at her house the next Sunday.

"I think we broke up," I said softly.

Haruhi gave me a tight hug before I sat down in her living room. Tadeo curled up on the floor next to me.

"I should've known better," I murmured.

"I don't think that's a path you should go down," Haruhi advised comfortingly.

"Please, the chairman's son and the king of the Host club. What was I thinking?" I scoffed in disbelief, fighting the lump in my throat. "I was so stupid to think I could get him to fall in love with me," I quivered.

"Mathieu, that's not true. One, you're not stupid. And two, I'm pretty certain that he loved you too. He doesn't look at you like he does everyone else," Haruhi soothed, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze. 

Haruhi let out a sigh when there was a knock at the door.

"Everything okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, just, the land lady has been by every couple of hours with questions about her T.V. since we're the only unit that really has one and she doesn't know how to work hers," Haruhi explained.

I chuckled, "I'll go answer it."

I got up and went to the door. I opened it and was shocked to see Tamaki. Tadeo excitedly went up to Tamaki, stomping his feet in excitement. 

"What are you doing here?" I asked quietly.

"William said I'd find you here. You weren't answering your phone and I just, I really need to talk because I don't want us to end like this," Tamaki spoke softly, gently patting Tadeo's head.

Tamaki looked more disheveled than usual. His hair was shiny with grease, his eyes were red and puffy, and he was still in yesterday's clothes. He looked about as heartbroken as I felt. 

"I can't live without you," Tamaki quaked, looking like he was about to cry.

"And I'm sorry for saying what I said, I, I was just so stressed and I took it out on you. I'm so sorry," He apologized tearfully.

"I forgive you, Tamaki, but I think we should just take a break from each other for a little bit," I suggested.

Tamaki shook his head. "Please, Mathieu, I need you. Please don't say that?" Tamaki pleaded, gently grasping my shoulders.

After thinking for a moment, I let out a deep sigh. A part of me was distraught while the other part wanted to fall for is sweet words.

"Okay," I said softly.

Tamaki let out a soft cry of relief and wrapped his arms around me, burying his face in the crook of my neck. I rubbed his back and petted his hair.

I ended up leaving with him and left Tadeo with Haruhi, letting him be a real dog for a little while.

"Why don't you go take a bath? Relax and soak for a bit," I suggested. 

Tamaki nodded tiredly, his head resting on my shoulder as we stood in the middle of his room.

"Can you sit in there with me?" He asked hopefully.

"Sure," I responded gently.

Tamaki took a quick shower before filling the bath. While he did so I switched his bed sheets and set out some pajamas for him. 

I knocked on the bathroom door before I walked in. Tamaki let out a deep sigh as he sank against the wall of the tub, his head resting on the edge.

I took a seat on a chair that had been in the bathroom and pulled it up to the tub. Tamaki shifted and turned so that his arms were resting over the edge and his chin on his forearm.

I ran my fingers through his slightly wet hair. 

"Tamaki, what's going on? What has you so stressed?" I inquired, my voice echoing slightly in the dark, candlelit bathroom.

"I don't know," Tamaki admitted, just above a whisper. "My Grandmother wants me to get married. There was a fight and then I told her I wanted to marry you. She hasn't talked to me since," He said, his voice shaking ever so slightly.

"That's a good thing then. It mean's she's thinking about it," I responded reassuringly, giving his hand a reassuring squeeze. 

Tamaki let out a deep sigh.

"I hope you're right."

Tamaki and I curled up in his bed after he was done soaking. I cradled him in my arms while he laid on my chest.

I think everything was going to be just fine.

Word count: 722

Hey I know it's a short chapter but I felt bad and figured I should fix my mess lol.