2

————

"Hey Mason?" Tracy asked her brother, "Just out of curiosity, who do you think is the hottest girl in school?"

"Uh I guess Madeline Dove? Maybe Evie Zamora like second place" Mason mumbled.

Tracy giggled, "Guess who I hung out with today?"

"Bull"

Tracy reached in her pockets and pulled out a pair of earrings, "Melrose Avenue"

He stared at her in a mix of disbelief, shock and fear. He couldn't believe his own sister could even manage to hang out with them. He was shocked they let her. But he was scared. Scared she would turn out like them, they weren't very good people as Mason had seen the previous day at the party.

"What? God, it's that hard to believe?" Tracy scoffed before walking out and back into the house.

She saw Maddy having a chat with Mel about school when Tracy walked into the kitchen.

"Your mom is the coolest person I've ever met Trace" Maddy said and Tracy rolled her eyes playfully, "Mason is in his shed outside"

"Thanks babe" Maddy said before walking outside to find the boy she said she was going to spend the rest of her day with.

Maddy trudged into the shed to find Mason on a computer.

"You're here quick" Mason said without looking up.

"Yeah well I came back with Tracy, we've just been to Melrose together with Evie and Astrid" Maddy said smiling as she walked behind him.

"So you did actually hang out?" Mason asked her and she scoffed.

"Yeah. She's cool" Maddy said to him as she put her arms over his shoulder from behind him and watched him finish whatever he was doing.

He put the laptop screen down and took her to his bedroom where he opened his wardrobe and grabbed his bong.

"Bong?" Maddy asked, "Mason that's bad"

"You're almost scolding me when you were doing cocaine yesterday" Mason laughed.

"Weren't you?"

"Touché"

He passed it to Maddy who put her mouth on the mouth piece and Mason held the lighter. He pulled the lever up as she inhaled and down as she pulled off of it.

She exhaled as she watched him do it. They lay back on his bed in silence as Maddy's phone rang.

"Shit, sorry Mase" Maddy said as she tried to get up and leave.

"No it's cool you can stay in here it's not gonna hurt me" Mason said as he sat up beside her.

Hello?

Hey babe, you good?

Yes Evie, I'm kinda busy right now though.

Getting it on with Mason Freeland?!

Watch your mouth, i'm not gonna go whoring round Evie, I'm not like you.

Yeah you're right, didn't stop you in the summer though?

Summer is different though and I wasn't thinking, I was off my face most of the time so so I had no clue what I was doing Eves.

Sure Maddy.

I've got to go. Love you babe.

Love you too.

Maddy hung up the phone and sighed, "I promise I've only slept with two people"

"You're thirteen?" Mason asked raising an eyebrow at the statement.

"Yeah, bit embarrassing but if it's for some drugs them I'm down" Maddy laughed.

"Mads that's bad" Mason sighed.

"I know Mase" Maddy mumbled, "I don't have the best home life you know"

"The boys told me" Mason said back to her, "You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to"

"You sure?" Maddy asked with a smile beaming on her face.

"Yes Mads, it's your life, I'm not gonna intrude and barge into something that's got nothing to do with me" Mason said without breath.

"Aww that's cute" Maddy teased.

"Shut up" Mason said.

"Dinner!" Mel shouted from the kitchen as everyone took a seat and began eating.

Maddy wasn't really hungry so she only plated a few things on there. She was sat with her hand on Mason's shoulder and her head on top of that. There was this awkward silence around the table. Clearly revolving around this guy whom Maddy hadn't seen before. He was most definitely causing whatever was making everyone so quiet. So tense. Reminded Maddy of the week after her father left. He wrote a note to each of them and left them 2000 dollars each. She hasn't seen him for 8 years.

Suddenly Tracy spoke, "So Brady, how was the halfway house?"

'Brady' looked up at her then back down at his plate and continued chewing. He sniffed and smiled to himself about the question, "The same as the last one Trace"

She stared at him and then glared at her mother. Very mad. They finished up dinner and Mason and Maddy went back to his room where they were giggling about Tortoises.

"Like why do they look like that?" Maddy said in between breaths.

"We need to stop laughing at this, it shouldn't be that funny" He said practically hunched over on his floor.

They both climbed onto the bed and sighed.

"You're really sweet Mase" Maddy smiled at him and he laughed.

"Stop being cheesy" He said to her and she smirked.

"Make me"

"Is that a challenge?" Mason asked and she pretended like she had no clue what he was talking about.

He jumped and started tackling her on the bed, she grabbed the cup of water and threw it at him while he was sat down catching his breath. Causing him to begin the fighting again.

They laid in the bed beside each other with no clue on what they were doing but both of them knew for themselves that they wanted to kiss each other.

Mason leant in as did Maddy and they began kissing.

They were french-kissing at this point and Maddy had to pull away to ask if she could borrow some clothes.

"No" Mason said to her abruptly.

"Oh are you still being a baby about the fact I chucked water on you?" Maddy teased, "Be like that. I'll just go sleep in Tracy's room"

She went to leave and he jumped up and snaked his arms round her waist. "You're not leaving me"

"Okay then Mason, whatever you say" She said before turning her head to kiss him. The boy grabbed a shirt from his wardrobe and a pair of shorts for the girl to put on while she slept.

The two climbed into bed and while Mason smoked a joint, Maddy had managed to drift off into a deep sleep. He finished his joint and watched her for a minute, before pulling her closer to him and falling asleep beside her.

————