A simple smile

"So I just drop you off here?" Hu Tao asked me while driving to Yaes place.

"Yeah just right around the corner."

It was 12pm and I was told by Yae to come at around this time. After last night, I felt restless, so I was almost half asleep in Hu Taos car.

"Gosh I'm going to die." I said, realizing that I most likely won't be able to focus on any word Miko will be saying. I already prepared myself for embarrassment.

"If so, pay me to take care of your funeral already." Hu Tao taunted me and I immediately brushed her off.

I got out of the car and waved Tao bye. I turned around I took a deep breath and went closer to Mikos front door.

Before going in I looked through the window and saw her with the purple haired woman again. For some reason I felt a bit angry... maybe even conflicted?

Yae then noticed me looking though the window and came to the front door. "Come on in now, Y/n." She gestured for me to go inside.

The purple haired woman left the house and drove off. Did Miko perhaps... have a girlfriend? Is that why I always see her with that woman? 

"What are you waiting for, hm?"

I snapped back to reality and went inside, to the kitchen as usual.

"Now then, give me the rewritten chapter." She extended her hand, holding eye contact with me. 

I gazed away and handed her the chapter. She looked at me suspiciously, but soon began reading.

If she has a girlfriend, why does she flirt with me? And why did she... almost kiss...

"Y/n? Earth to Y/n~?" I looked up at Miko, her eyes were sparking and her gaze was soft, filled with curiosity.

"Yes Miko?"

She put her hand on my chin and lifted it up. "Spill it, what's wrong? You've been zoning out."

"I..." I wanted to ignore her question but her eyes were burning me alive so I just had to admit defeat. "I was wondering if the purple haired woman is your... you know... girlfriend?"

Her eyes widened at my question, but she soon broke into laughter. "Oh? Her you ask? Why, you jealous?" 

"Of course not!" 

She started to laugh even more. 

"She's not my girlfriend, we're roommates and best friends." 

I felt a sense of relief rush through me. I exhaled and Miko started laughing at me even more.

"Gosh you're so cute when you're embarrassed." She then smiled at me and turned back to the paper. "Now then, to me it looks like you've successfully rewritten your first chapter! Now I can talk to you about the other two."

We sat at the kitchen table drinking tea and eating cookies for hours, we didn't even notice how much time had passed until her friend, who's name I know now - Ei, came home.

"Miko you do realize it's 7pm already?" Ei put her jacket on the hanger and started to go to her own room.

"My, my how is it that late already!" Miko put down all the papers and turned on the stove. "I'll cook us some dinner and then you can go home Y/n. You've done a lot of work today."

"Oh no, no, no, let me help you out!" I got up from my chair and went with her to cook.

Miko smiled and handed me a knife and told me to cut up the onions. "We'll be making a creamy chicken curry, you'll love it, trust me." She smiled and took a frying pan, pouring oil into it.

I started to cut the onions, and tried so hard to not cry, because I felt Yaes gaze on me, clearly waiting for me to burst out in tears. No way I'm letting her have her fun.

After Miko finished cooking the chicken, she transferred them onto a plate. I put the onions in the frying pan and stirred it until the onions were soft. Miko then poured water and curry into the pan.

"The signature dinner, huh." Ei came by and commented. 

"Why don't you try helping hmm? Look at Y/n here, she even offered to help me unlike you." She looked at me and smirked, waiting for my reaction.

I did feel somewhat good about that comment, but no way I was going to say that.

After a while, we finished making the curry and all sat down at the dinner table.

Somehow this brought back memories of family dinner, or well, at least what a family dinner should've been like.

For some reason, even though Yae was always teasing me and waiting for my reaction, there was something about her that made me feel safe and comfortable around her. Her energy was just so genuine and she has always been very honest.

"Whoa, this curry is delicious!" I said after taking a bite. I could feel the warm curry melt in my mouth, leaving me to want more.

"Of course! We made it after all~." Miko hummed.

"This really does taste better than usu-" 

"Ahem!" Yae interrupted Ei, practically giving her a death stare.

Me and Ei both looked at each other and laughed, making her flustered. This was the first time I've seen Yae try to act so unbothered.

"You both! You better watch out, I might just burn it next time specially for you." She laid back on her seat, proud of herself.

After finishing dinner, Ei was left washing the dishes and me and Miko were relaxing watching TV and criticizing politicians.