Falling apart

After arriving at the hospital, only I was allowed to see my sister, so Miko stayed outside.

As soon as I saw Keiko laying in bed, just like the sleeping beauty under a spell, I broke down once more.

The doctors tried to comfort me, but they didn't understand that my sister was my only family.

After being kicked out of home, my sister joined me and protected me. She was the one who took up a job and got ourselves the life we have now. Through and through, she has always been there for me. To see her in a state like this was far too cruel. Why did God allow this to happen to her? What did she do wrong?

I held her hand and cried for what seemed like half an hour, she still hadn't woken up, it seemed that what the doctors said was true, she won't be waking up anytime soon.

After that, I told Miko that I'd be staying here for a longer time, and that she can go without me. She kept saying that she'll wait for me, but finally gave in after I insisted too many times.

I wanted to be alone... no, I wanted to be with my sister again. She's there, she's right there, but she's not with me, she's asleep in a long never ending dream.

'Keiko, why did this happen to you...?'

'I'm sorry miss, but you can't stay here for this long, it's almost morning time.'

I didn't want to go, but I was mainly forced to. I didn't even realize that I had been there for that long - about 3 hours.

I waited for the bus for about an hour before I was finally able to get home. It was already morning and everybody who wanted to go to Hawaii, probably already took off.

I entered my apartment and took a look at my phone, which I had ignored this whole time. There were so many missed messages...

---

Notifications

- Hu Tao: Hope you have a fun trip!!!

- Uni class: what happened? (10 more messages)

- Miko: Message me when you're home.

---

I put the phone down and plopped onto my bed. All I wanted at that moment was to be asleep forever.

And I eventually did fall asleep. Yet I had a long and strange dream. A dream that wasn't like experiencing a dream, it was me re-experiencing a memory. A memory I've kept hidden deep within.

People yelling, me, a crying child being forced out of my household just because of what I like, and my sister being beat up after protecting me.

I couldn't wake up, no matter how hard I tried, and I couldn't change that memory, not even in a dream.

'Y/n?'

I heard my name and looked at Keiko.

'Y/n?!'

'I...' I reached my hand out to her.

'Y/n are you okay?'

Suddenly a bright light hit my eyes and I woke up, first thing I saw was Miko hovering over my face, her look was filled with worry and it seemed that she was the one talking to me this whole time.

'Huh...' I felt tears rolling down my cheeks, but I didn't even know why I was crying. Or maybe I knew? Who knows.

'I wanted to come check up on you but you weren't answering your texts so I came over, only to find out that you left your door unlocked and were uncontrollably crying and talking in your sleep.'

I got up a bit, sitting on my bed now. 'Miko, please leave.'

'You can't be serious.'

I looked at her, in reality, I did want her to hug me, stay by my side, listen to my sorrows, but that would just mean that I'm making what happened to my sister to be all about me.

'Just... just leave me alone.' I sat further into my bed. 'Go home, you've done enough to help me and I'm grateful for that, I'll pay you back.'

'Are you out of your mind?' She leaned closer to me. 'At this state it seems like you want to isolate yourself from the whole world, and there's no way I'm letting you do that!'

She went in to hug me but I pushed her away. 'I'm serious Miko.'

Miko's eyes widened at my sudden action and she pulled away from me. From the look in her eyes, I could tell that she was hurt, but maybe it was better this way. I've always been a burden to everyone, always depending on others and never living by myself.

'Alright then, I'll leave.' Her tone became sorrowful. She picked up her bag that she had dropped on the ground and left the room. 'Lock the door this time.'

Now I was left all alone in my room, just as I wanted.

Yet, instead of feeling better, it made me feel even worse.

So I began to cry again, having all the thoughts about Keiko and my memories crawl back to me, eating me alive.

'Oh for fucks sake.' I heard Miko muttering as she came back into the room, she dropped her bag once more and hugged me tight, not letting me go.

'M-miko!'

'Don't ever feel like you're a burden to anyone.'