To be happy

And thus, she chose to run away, away from her responsibilities as a fashion designer, as a daughter and as a... what else was she? She herself did not even know.

The ink dripped from the pen as I stopped writing.

Come to think of it, with everything going on, it's been a while since I had picked up a pen and actually wrote my feelings out.

I once again flipped though the pages, making slight changes to my drafts to hopefully please myself and Miko as well. Her opinion was what mattered the most here after all.

I shoved the drafts in my bag as I packed to go to Miko's place and stay there for a while. It felt wonderful in a way - feeling so, so terrible, that I felt good. I felt good that I was able to write it all out in my own way, somewhat hiding my own feelings in the drafts, but expressing them through the characters. Pain was, has been, and will always be the main source of my motivation.

In a few hours, I found myself at the hospital to see Keiko alongside with Miko. It was rather dull, and even though Miko tried her best to make me cheer up during the car ride to here, I wasn't able to force a smile. Of course, I was really happy to be moving temporarily today, but at the same time, knowing my sister was in such a bad state currently, I was only able to feel sorrowful.

'Tell your sister something that you're happy about.' Miko put her hand on my shoulder, patting it a bit before I had to enter the room. 'Something I'm happy about...?' I asked.

Miko nodded, 'I don't know your sister well, but from what I know and have seen, she'd be much happier to know that you have had something to smile about during these tough times. Trust me.'

With that, I entered the room teary eyed, but this time with a smile on my face, and went to hold my sisters hand to tell her everything, even if she wasn't able to hear, nor answer.

In about a half an hour, me and Miko met up and were ready to head out again.

As we left the hospital, Miko turned down the music in her car, 'Do you have any kind of work today?' She asked.

'Not really... though...'

'Though...?'

'I was wondering if you could go over the 7th chapter's draft again, I changed it a bit today, maybe it will be to your liking now.'

She kept her eyes on the road and nodded, 'You are in luck my dear, today's my free day.'

Miko's words never failed to play with my head. Knowing each other, and well, being friends for months, it felt as if I already knew everything about her. Though it's certainly not true - no matter how long you've known a person, you'll never know them whole.

I observed Miko as she paid attention to the road, she's the kind of person to never miss out on even the smallest of details, her reactions are rather fast and she's a thoughtful person at heart.

'We're here.'

I was snapped out of my thoughts by Miko's voice. The door opened and Miko got out of the car, soon taking and carrying two of my bags out of the truck.

'Could you unlock the door? Oh, the key is in my pocket!' She looked down at her pocket so that I knew which one held the key. I took the key and headed to the front door, unlocking it.

'Say, Miko, which room will I be staying in?' I asked as we entered the house. Seeing the kitchen again made me feel happy, it was the coziest kitchen I knew after all.

'Mmm,' Miko thought for a moment, while putting down the bags on the floor, 'I suppose with me in my room, no?' 

I looked at her in disbelief and she chuckled, 'kidding... since we don't have a guest room, would you be fine with staying in the living room then?' 

'It doesn't have a door,' Ei said sternly while walking out of her room straight to the kitchen, 'I'd say she can just sleep in your room Miko, your bed is literally king sized.'

I gave Ei a double look and she had a small smile on her face as Miko looked at her with her eyebrow raised. She looked back and forth at me and Ei, her mouth agape, as if she was about to say something.

'Would you be fine with that?' Miko asked, turning her head back to me with a piercing gaze, slightly tilting her head.

Somehow I felt rather shy at this moment, I knew my feelings for Miko were something that was more than a friendship, unlike what she has been feeling towards me. She says that she deeply appreciates me as a friend after all. So I didn't know if it was fair to share her room with her if our feelings differed.

'I... I'm fine with the living room.' I said, heading towards it and putting my hands up, 'this room has a lot of space after all, not having a door doesn't matter!' 

Miko nodded, 'I see, I'll put the bags there then.' She came into the living room and put the bags down by the couch, 'make yourself at home. In an hour I expect to see you in the kitchen so that we could discuss the changes you've made in your drafts.' 

I nodded and she left the room. In the background I could hear Miko and Ei deciding on who was about to make dinner for tonight and something else which I wasn't able to hear.

I sat down on the couch in a very formal way. How was I about to get comfortable? I felt like an intruder in a way. I didn't know what could and couldn't be touched, what I could and couldn't do...

Snapping me out of my thoughts, Ei came inside of the living room and just stood there, as if she wanted something from me.

'Hey, Y/n, let's go to the store together.'

'Right now?'

'Yes.'

'...Okay.'

And just like that, I ended up going to the store with Ei, unable to finish unpacking, nor understanding what is and isn't allowed.