2: The introduction

~Nicholas's POV:~

The city hummed with energy as we made our way back towards our home. Noah was in the front seat arguing with whoever was on the phone as I sat in the middle of the backseat, Nick the one driving as we were on our way to meet up with Jolly. "Right, got it" Noah growled before hanging up his phone and letting out a sigh.

"Well?" Nick dared question from the driver's seat.

Noah opened his eyes, clearly exhausted from the previous night's work we did. "There's been a shooting at the meeting that Frank Saunders and his daughter were at, details are still unclear, I'm to phone his secretary when we arrive back at the compound" Nick and I stayed quiet, knowing if we pushed him more on this wouldn't help Noah in any way.

Arriving back at the compound we all slid out of the car, following Noah through the doors he excused himself going towards his office and shutting himself in.
Jolly looked up from where he sat, his computer in hand as if he were working on something. "Rough night?" he asked standing himself up.

"You have no idea, the line you found the other day was a complete bust. Whoever that was, we won't ever know" We have been working on trying to protect The Grey from the wrong hands, but where there was money there were problems.

Jolly seemed to consider that. He was the one out of the group who could handle computers the best. "I'll have to keep digging— what's up with him though?" he waved his hand down the hall where Noah had closed himself into his office.

"All eyes are on see Frank Saunders. There's been a shooting at the event meeting this morning, It's unsure what exactly happened, all we know is Noah was to call his secretary" Part of me hoped we never had to deal with him and his daughter she was the princess of the concrete jungle, and only a few smaller groups considered the man corrupt from rumours that spread around the concrete jungle.

"Shit. . ." Jolly breathed out.

We all waited until we heard Noah calling for us. Stepping into his office we all watched Noah lean back in his seat behind his oak desk. "We are to go to their compound, gear up—" Before I could step out of the room Noah cleared his throat, "Nicholas, I need to speak to you" glancing at the others who gave a small nod before closing the door behind them.

"What's up?" I asked, lying to myself that I wasn't a bit nervous.

Noah smiled softly as he leaned forward. "I am tasking you with a mission. You might not like it but I need you to do it" his voice knocked into that leadership that had us all still standing with him after all these years.

We all went way back even considering each other family. "What mission?"

"I am tasking you with protecting Saunder's daughter. At that meeting today it's believed she was nearly a victim of poisoning. Saunders has made it clear if we protect her we get access to the compound but only when with her. I need you to guide her, watch and protect her."

"This is a joke right?" my voice bit back in an annoyed tone. "You can ask someone else to do it, I'm not babysitting a spoiled brat" We all heard plenty about the daughter of the wealthiest man.

Noah's brown eyes darkened as his hair fell in front of his face—reminding me exactly who I was. "You don't get a choice, Nicholas. Jolly is focused on getting us more clues and Nick is out listening to gossip within this city, I need you to do this because out of those two I trust you to not scare her away or make Frank reconsider his choice."

Feeling the sigh escape my lips I glared at Noah who only watched me. Understanding the weight of this mission I hated myself for even agreeing to this, when it came to the Saunders family I stayed far the fuck away from them. "Fine" I growled out before exiting his office, slamming the wooden door with the shadow glass window and hearing the glass rattle.