18: Ready for more.

Authors note: Happy Halloween friends, I hope you all had a great day filled with lots of tricks and treats of fun!

~Gemma's POV:~

"Gemma are you listening to me?" my eyes went to my father as we sat in his compound, he had invited me here for breakfast which cut into my training with Nicholas, who stood in the doorway with Graham, both of them watching us intently.

Green eyes sliding from where I was focusing on the wall, the spoon I was flipping in my fingers like the knives Nick had been teaching me had halted as I looked at the man I thought I knew my whole life. "Sorry, what did you say?" I said softly. Around my father I still had to act like the girl I was before.

"Gemma Nyx-Selene Saunders, what on earth has gotten into you—and stop flipping that spoon as if it were a weapon, you are not a soldier" he glared at my hand that once more flipped the spoon.

Placing my hand flat on the table above the spoon, he looked at Nicholas who stood there emotionless. "How was your honeymoon" I wanted his attention off Nicholas, he didn't need to focus on Nick.

His eyes looked back at me. "It was pleasant, warm." He sipped his coffee, "I heard you been enjoying yourself while I was away" he knew nothing of what's been happening.

My mind wandered to Kane, and as I glanced at Nicholas he gave a sly shake of his head telling me to not revert down the path we had been working on together. Shoving the image of the blood deep within, I smiled at my father one more. "I had a decent enough time. So, what did you want to talk about?" he invited me to this lunch which meant he had something to say.

My heart was ready for him to say he was expecting another child, but chilled when the words never were spoken. "I think you should consider coming home soon, the media is becoming restless when they see your light hasn't been on, Leanna is starting to get a bad look in the press because of it" he spoke once more sipping at the coffee he had.

Gulping, I leaned back in my chair as much as I could without being considered improper to him. "Ugh, I need time to think about it, I mean I am happy where I am right now" it was an effort to not look to Nick to see his reaction, "I am not saying no but right now I am not saying yes either. . ."

Father sighed, "you need to make a compromise then, one night a week you need to visit your apartment even if it were for just one night, that isn't me asking you my little Gem, this is me telling you. Leanna can't afford a bad look right now" the way he supported her made the food in my stomach feel like led.

"Of course, I can visit once a week" the thought of it made me feel even more sick.

We finished our lunch, before saying our goodbyes. As I passed Graham, he leaned in so I could hear him. "I look forward to seeing you around, princess" his eyes lingered on me before I pushed past him.

Nicholas following behind me a few steps as he was told to by Noah. We headed to my old apartment, opening the door felt like I was opening a coffin as I stepped inside opening the curtain to let some light in. I could make out journalists on the streets below, some pointing in the direction as they saw me in the window. "I hate this place" I said making my way to my bathroom to take out my earrings, "it feels like it isn't even home anymore" braiding my hair, I went into my room before changing into the athletic clothing, ready for when we got back.
Helen would be training with me today as Nick trained as well.

"Once a week, you can manage it. We can all take turns camping out in your living room and then as soon as the sun rises we can leave" Nick said from the kitchen as I entered.

"I think I'd prefer if it were just you, you already know this place and I am familiar sharing a sleeping area with you" looking down at my hands I fought the blush that threatened to pool into my cheeks.

He seemed shocked by the statement. "Then I will stay with you" he drummed his fingers on the counter, "are we ready to leave?" he asked, I only nodded and followed him out.

When back at the compound, Helen and I wasted no time warming up with one another, Nick stood off to the side as he was slamming his fists into a punching bag as his warmup. "So, you have a good lunch?" Helen asked as she stretched her back.

"As good as to expect I suppose, he wants me to spend one night a week at my old apartment, it doesn't even feel like home anymore—oddly enough, here does" she smiled as if she knew something, "what is it?" she chuckled.

Glancing at Nick, she leaned in towards me. "I mean, you feel a home with a certain Ruffilo" Helen said only loud enough for us to hear.

"Helen!" I gasped, Nicholas halted his movements looking our way trying to sense if there was something he needed to be worried about or not. "I can't believe you just said that to me" I said in a whisper making sure Nick couldn't even see my lips moving—my luck he'd be an expert at lip reading.

Helen and I had grown closer while living together and being the only females to occupy the space. "Oh, come on, I seen how you look at most men and it's nowhere near the way you look at Nicholas, it's quite cute actually" she beamed.

"Well it's never going to happen, my father murdered his family" I reminded her of the dark past that lingered between us still. "And I am nothing more than a job before a friend" again, reminding her.

She blew out some air she had puffed in her cheeks. "Yeah that can put a damper on the relationship."

Rolling my eyes we both got into our stance before going at one another, we weren't easy on one another and in a way, she taught me different techniques that Nicholas didn't even know about—fair to say they worked when I would go up against him.

~Nicholas's POV: ~