16: Training

~Gemma's POV:~

Breakfast a challenge, everything tasted off to me, but it wasn't anyone else's fault, it was my own. Everything felt off, I felt off.
Nicholas told me to meet him outside in the training yard after I was finished eating—truthfully, I ended up dumping my food out after a bite or two unable to think about stomaching it.
Heading outside to the courtyard where he stood, I stopped in my tracks when I saw him in his sweats and a grey muscle shirt that suited him. His hair was in a bun as he did his own warm up by the looks of it, sweat already glistening along his skin as music blasted from a building not far to his left. "Good, I was getting worried you weren't going to show" he said halting his movements, he was just punching a punching bag not long ago.

Feeling small, I stepped down the steps to reach where he stood. "Ugh, sorry" I said tucking a strand of hair behind my ear, "is this really necessary?" I asked looking around the training yard, my stomach churned the sight of the shooting range, the bullet holes that laid in the wood beyond it.

Nick's eyes followed mine before shaking his head, "we aren't there yet. We are starting with fighting, weapons will be a last resort, but you should know how to use your hands as weapons, legs, thighs, anything on your body can be a weapon if you use it correctly" he said waving Helen over, she wore a purple track outfit, but she seemed excited for the day as Noah stood outside with us, training himself as well. "Helen, we are going to show her the basics, but I want to show her how any part of the body can be a weapon, are you up for it?" he asked her as he got a matt out, tossing it onto the ground in front of us.

Her smile warmed me a bit, "hell yeah! Plus means I get to whoop your ass again" she stuck her tongue out. Both of them got into a stance, there were no closed fists, both of them moving fluidity as they began moving around one another, striking at each other—Helen would duck under his arms and she even managed to trip him, but it was Nick who took her down both of them laughing together as friends. "So I am a bit rusty, guess it's a good thing I am here today" she said as Nick helped her to her feet, "if he gives you too much of a hard time, let me know—Noah and I will be in the shooting range" she pointed to the building not too far from us before heading her way to her fiancée.

Once we were alone and the doors to the range were closed, Nick seemed to see my worry at the thought of hearing the gunfire. "You won't hear it, it's soundproofed in there" he said softly as he fixed the matt on the ground, "come on Nyx, you're turn—let's get some basics down for you" he said as he gestured me onto the matt.

He showed me some movements he thought would help me, and I followed along, afraid of upsetting him more. The more we went into the repeated movements, the more the sweat cradled at my neck as my hair clung to my neck as well, Nick just as sweaty as I was. "Good, good you got it—now let's speed it up a little bit, and each time we complete the first round we will go a bit faster, okay?" he asked stepping back a step.

"O-okay" I said following his lead as I lifted my hands. Before I could think of anything else, Nick struck, yelping I ducked underneath his hands cursing, this wasn't slow! "You said slow, you ass!" I cursed matching his speed.

"An attacker won't give you the courtesy of slow, most will act faster then I did" his breath was ragged from his movements, he would grunt with every swing and the sounds of him swirled in my head like fog.

Get him out of your head.
I couldn't, part of me was mesmerized just how fluidity he moved in a battlefield, how easy this was for him while I felt like I was fighting for my life just trying to breath. I caught his wrist in my hands, ecstatic about it. "Holt shit!" I said, before I knew it, the world was tumbling as I cursed out "holy shit!" before landing on my back with an oomph. Nick hovered over me, sweat sliding down his temple as he breathed, his hand was on the bottom of my neck, not putting any pressure down on my but showing me he was the one in control, "you couldn't let me have it, could you?" I questioned, panting into the air that would usually nip my skin.

My body felt like it was on fire, the cool air feeling amazing on me. He smirked before looking down at his hand, hovering. "This is training, princess—this is how you learn" he pulled me back up to my feet, "again" and before I could protest, we once again were at each other, tossing and turning any way we could to avoid the other's hits.

"She learns fast" Helen said, Nick turned to face her at the wrong time as I swung my leg, wrapping it around him as we both went tumbling.

My mind raced as we hit the ground, roll! It screamed, and I did. Rolling on top of him, I straddled his hips planting myself firmly on him like he showed me as I yanked his wrists above his head. Both of us panting once more, as if the air around us had been sucked away. "Holy shit, I did it! You can't tell me I didn't because I fucking took you down!" I gasped before looking at Helen and Noah who stood there impressed, "did you see that! I did it!" I cried out feeling accomplished about it.

Smiling at Nick, he seemed flushed a bit before clearing his throat. I was on top of him. Eyes widening I let go of his hands, his hands went to my hips causing me to feel electric. "Come on you two, clean up and we can head to the shop for something to eat" Helen called as her and Noah headed inside the compound.

I could only hear Helen's words as I nodded. Nick's blue eyes watched as I got off of him, stepping to one side so I could help him up. He seemed nervous taking my hand, but he did anyways. Helping him to his feet, I brushed off dust that wasn't even there, remembering how he felt underneath me. I couldn't be getting a crush on him; he didn't feel anything for me and it was such a bad time for this. "You did good, tomorrow we will resume training, before breakfast—we will be out here" he said leading us back inside.
Grabbing a fresh set of clothing, I headed for the shower in Folio's room he offered up for me, telling me Nick takes a while in the shower sometimes, thanking him I made sure to be quick as I didn't want to invade his space for too long, even if he was working out of his room, this was his area.

Getting myself dressed in a pair of clean leggings and a long-sleeved shirt, I made my way towards Nick's room to toss the clothes in the hamper I had in there. Opening the door, I let out a gasp before covering my eyes and turning. Nick was in nothing but a towel. "Oh my god I am so sorry!" I said blushing at the sight of him.

"I thought I had time!" he laughed as he rustled around in the room, only assuming he was getting dressed. I wanted to look, but I kept my sight focused on a spec on the wall as if it were the most interesting thing in the world. I couldn't help but remember how he looked, the toned chest and the way his hair fell around his shoulders as it dripped water down his body. "Okay, you can look, I'm decent" hesitant, I looked to see he was now in jeans, he was finishing doing his belt up and I looked at his dark shirt.

"H-Helen and Noah got a head start to the café, they said we can meet them there" why was my brain not working now? I needed to get myself together.

Nick nodded as he led us out of the compound and to his car. Sitting in the passenger seat, I squirmed as I remembered how he felt beneath me, he seemed shocked but also flustered himself, did he not think I would ever pin him? Something like pride clanged through me at the thought of it.
Only it didn't last long, passing by the street—I saw police tape marked off in the alley I was in the other night. My heart was sinking at the thought as my stomach that did feel hungry now felt like it would refuse anything I tried to put inside of it. "Gemma, remember—he would have hurt you or killed you, you acted in self defense while saving my life" Nicholas said glancing at me once.

But the dream clouded my mind, I looked over at him and I thought part of him knew if I hadn't hit Kane, there would be a chance that my nightmare would have been real life. "Tell me about tomorrow's routine" it was a silent plea between us to change the subject to anything else.

So he did, as we parked, as we got a meal, as we sat down—Nicholas spoke about what he wanted to teach me, even showing me with a fork on some routines he wanted to show me, as he ate his lunch. I picked at mine, all I had was a sandwich and a small salad but all I could do was pick at it, unable to even think about eating because if I did, it wouldn't stay down.
Excusing himself so he could speak to Noah when he was done, I slid myself from my seat seeing a gentlemen outside the door, he looked hungry and by the way his clothes were I knew he couldn't afford that.
Looking at my plate I no longer had interest in, I headed outside—the man seemed shy as he coward away from me causing me to move slowly, "I'm not hungry and you look hungry. . . Please, let me help you" I offered the plate towards him gently.

His dark eyes became glossy as he looked at the plate in my hand. "I couldn't, you don't need to. . ."

"Please, I insist, I don't want to see you hungry, are you wanting a coffee?" he looked at me shocked as he accepted the plate. Watching as he sat down on the pavement, I nodded my head making sure he was good before heading back inside and making him a large hot cup of coffee to have on the cold day, I also grabbed him some pastries Helen had put out as well as a premade sandwich. Grabbing my scarf as well, I headed back outside, Nick and Noah watching from the doorway of the kitchen as I exited the shop, looking down at the man who seemed starved. "May I sit with you?" I asked gesturing to the spot beside him.

The man nodded, patting the pavement beside him. I took a seat on the cold pavement, looking at the items I had in hand, I put the brown bag I had made for him between us as well as handing him a coffee. "I didn't know if you liked anything in it, but there are cream packs and sugar in the bag if you'd like" I said softly.

He seemed stunned, he opened the lid of coffee and for a moment I could see tears in his eyes as he took a sip of warmth. "You don't need to do this for me, I am just an old man" he said—he looked maybe fifty if that, hardly old in my books.

"My mother taught me better, my name is Gemma" I said looking at the people who passed by, not even glancing to the man who sat on the street.

"I know who you are, I knew your mother when I was a small boy" my head turned to him, the man had dirt on his skin from being outside, his clothing was tattered and his beard was peppered color. "My name is Luke; your mother and I went to school together as children" he said taking a small bite of the sandwich from the plate. "I thought you would have been like your father" he admitted, sounding upset at his own thought.

Chuckling I leaned against the wall, I knew Nicholas hovered by—it was like a sense I had for him, if he was around I just had this feeling. "Media painted me out that way, but I assure you I am nothing like him."

"Good, Concrete Jungle doesn't need more people like him" he seemed angry at my father. I was too.

"Do you want me to pay for a motel for you? Get you out of the cold, I am sorry if it oversteps, I just. . . You're the first person to speak to me like a normal human person instead of what media splashed me to be" admitting that was hard.

Luke stopped chewing, "you would do that?" he asked.

I couldn't stop as I nodded. "I would, yeah—if it meant you got a bed even for one night, I'd be happy to do it" I said. "But if you decide otherwise, please know if you ever see me again, my offer will always stand, I also wanted you to have this" I handed him my dark scarf.

Studying the scarf in my hand, he was hesitant as he took it. "What seems to be troubling you, kid?" he didn't look me in the eyes as he asked. I wanted to protest there was nothing wrong, but he beat me to it. "I can tell a lot of things about people, you learn a lot when living on the streets and you, Gemma, scream broken right now" said Luke.

Blowing out air, I watched it cloud in front of my face swirling. "My father, I thought I knew him but all I knew was a mask of him—he told me to get over my mothers' death on my mothers birthday, that he chose to get married on. He also pushed me away, into a group I think I feel like are family to me in an odd sense, but the person I consider my friend, he still considers me a job which is fair."

"And the marks on your neck?" Luke asked.

Touching the bruises, I let out a sigh. "I was attacked the other night, I didn't listen and got myself in some trouble, it's a night I think is going to haunt me for the rest of my life" it felt weird telling this to a stranger.

Sensing I didn't want to talk anymore, Luke patted my hand. "If you don't mind, and the offer stands—I think I'll take that room" he smiled warmly at me.

My heart burst with joy hearing him say that. Helping him to his feet, I brought him in the shop where a few customers gave us odd stares, but I introduced him to Helen. "This is Luke, I am booking him a motel for a few nights" his eyes widened at the word few.

Helen was welcoming as always, she never judged anyone for how they looked. "Welcome Luke, I see she got you some pasties. I hope they are to your liking, where do you work?" she asked as softly as she could.

"I. . . I don't ma'am" admitted Luke.

Her grin grew, "if you are interested, I could use someone to help prep pastries in the mornings before opening, my helper has training" she glanced at me.
Not wanting to listen in more, after booking his room. I could only make out the sobs of words of thank you from Luke as him and Helen went into the back with Noah who followed, eager to learn about the man his future wife had just hired on spot.

"You gave him your lunch?" Nicholas asked stepping up beside me.

"I wasn't that hungry" not a lie, it was hard to eat when all I could hear was Kane's voice and the images of his blood he laid in. "Plus, I think he needed it more then I did" he didn't argue with me.

We went around the day, Nicholas going to a few places and me following along after we got Luke to his hotel, I wanted to make sure he got in okay before we left.
At dinner I took one or two bites, but no one seemed to notice when once again my food wasn't eaten.

I went outside, the cold air biting at me as I set the matt up, practicing what I was taught this morning—it was the only way I felt something, as I let out my frustrations through my movements. "You're going to overwork yourself, enough, Nyx" stopping mid move, I looked at Nick who came down the steps to join me. "You are eager to learn, I see that, but you need to know overworking yourself is just as bad" he said.

I wanted to tease him. "You're just jealous because I pinned you" I chuckled going to make another movement he showed me, only before I knew it I was down on the ground, on my back as Nick was planted in between my thighs, pressure on me as he held my wrists above my head with one hand.

"You may have pinned me this morning, but princess you still have so much to learn" he said leaning in so close I could feel the breath from his lips.

My heart went wild, thinking quickly, I wrapped my leg around his waist and in a flash I was on his lap again like this morning. My wrists are still in his hands. "I may have a lot to learn, but at least I am not distracted, what seems to be your distraction?" his eyes lingered on mine before he licked his lips, only when he went to look away I caught him stealing a glance of how I was positioned on top of him.

It made me realize it as well. Sliding myself from him, I laid on the matt beside him clearing my throat. "I am glad Luke was hired on, I am glad Helen will have that help, and I am sure Noah did a full background check."

"He did, don't worry" Nick laughed.

I looked at the stars in the cold night sky before letting out a sigh. "He went to school with my mom, he seemed angry at my dad which I understand. . . But he also saw me as my mother's daughter, he admitted he assumed I was like my dad but hearing I am like my mom. . ."

"It brings you comfort knowing you are a gentle person like she was" he said, facing me.

Not looking at him, I chewed my lip. "Yeah, yeah it does"