6: New phone, who's this?

~Gemma's POV:~

Knocking at my apartment door pulled me out of my slumber, cursing as the knocks continued—I looked at my clock reading only seven-thirty in the morning. Groaning I slid out of my warm bed as I wore an oversized shirt. More knocking had me cursing creatively as I swung my apartment door open, ready to give whoever a piece of my mind. Stopping before any words could come out, I looked to see Nicholas standing there—Jolly beside him as they each arched a brow at me. "It's seven in the morning, why are you two at my door this early?" I said stepping aside inviting them into my apartment, the sun was just starting to come up more from behind the clouds.

"We are getting you that new phone, remember?" Nicholas said closing the door behind them.

"This early? You had to bang on my door this early?" I rubbed my face, the tiredness still lingering from the nights sleep, I hardly slept last night as well. Fear would swallow me thinking something would happen, since Nicholas didn't have service in this compound I feared I would soon lose that service and wouldn't be able to get a hold of them if I did need them.

Jolly glanced at us as if we were a married couple arguing, his attention went to my bare legs that were barely covered by the oversized shirt—suddenly remembering what I was wearing, I tugged at the bottom of my shirt hoping to cover myself as my cheeks reddened with embarrassment. "I couldn't text you" Nicholas's gaze followed Jolly's before his blue eyes once more met mine, "go get dressed, we can grab coffee and something to eat along the way" his voice snapped me out of my shyness as I nodded and headed towards my room.

Closing the door behind me most the way, I entered my closet that was big enough to hang my clothing and fit two dressers inside, there was more room for dressers on either side, but I felt the need for only two as I didn't really care for much. Deciding not to wear my dresses, I slid on a pair of tight jeans that showed off the curves and dips in my hips nicely. My black lace bra hugged my chest tightly as I grabbed a black long-sleeved V-neck to slide on overtop. My hair brushed out letting it fall in place. Since they wanted to wake me up so early, I decided to listen to some music off my phone as I began working on my makeup—nothing over the top or designer as the media would say, when my father took me to gala's and other events he would hire a team to get me ready, which always resulted in so much makeup that I normally never wore. I did a winged liner look that brought out the green in my eyes and a soft pink lipstick that I knew wouldn't budge through the day.
Stepping out into the room where Jolly and Nicholas stood, Jolly smiled as Nicholas seemed unimpressed. "We are getting a new phone, you're not going on a date, princess" he muttered handing me my denim jacket he grabbed from my front coat rack.

"See, I know we are getting a new phone but what if the person giving me the new phone catches my eye? Hmm? Maybe I want to make sure if he is cute I could get his number" I practically purred as he led us out of my apartment.

"No one besides us is going to know you have a new phone, do you understand?" his voice slid back into that ego of his as he walked alongside of me, Jolly not far behind me.

"My father should have the number, shouldn't her?" I questioned as we made our way to the black car Jolly had driven, assuming since he was the one to climb into the driver's seat. Nicholas climbing in the front passenger seat as I climbed into the back.

Jolly glanced at me, as Nicholas looked at me—his eyes still holding that cold feeling. "Your father cannot know you have this phone, this isn't a game, princess. . . The only people who know of this phone are us, and once the danger us gone then you return the phone to us and we go our separate ways, understood?"

"Nicholas, she isn't a kid man. . ." Jolly muttered.

But the damage was done, what he said had stung as I sat back in my seat. "No, I understand completely. Trust me, I look forward to being rid of you" the tone had us all becoming silent as we drove.

This part of town wasn't something I was familiar with. I read the street signs as we passed by, Jolly glancing in the mirror must have saw my expression. "The media don't come out this way, your father never made this area a priority, the only thing he is interested in is The Grey" he said.

"I never been out this way, so it would explain a lot. I never really heard of The Grey either, what is it?"

"It's—"

"Something you don't need to worry about" Nicholas cut Jolly off earning a glance in his direction, I was starting to become used to the secrets.

Pulling into a parking spot, Jolly turned the car off before leading us into a small coffee shop. It was a cozy aroma as the tables sat nicely with some flowers on some. Behind the counter beaming with a smile was Helen as she watched us enter the coffee shop, the brew of hot coffee filling my senses as I smiled at her. "Morning! Welcome to my shop, what can I get you guys?" she smiled.

Jolly ordered an iced coffee as Nicholas ordered an espresso, they all looked at me as I looked at the menu above our heads reading the options I never thought of. "Oh, I guess I need to order—ugh, can I get a mocha and a lemon Danish?"

"Of course, give me a few moments and I will get those out to you guys, why not go have a seat?" she gestured to a table, when we turned we looked to see Noah sitting there, sipping his own coffee as he held a newspaper in one hand.

We all made our way, taking a seat at the table he sat at, his eyes watched as we all did so before he put the newspaper down in front of him. "I didn't think you guys would actually be awake this early" he said glancing at the watch that rested on his arm.

"Trust me, I wish I wasn't awake right now" I muttered sitting back in my seat. Noah raised an eyebrow in question, "these two were banging on my door at seven-thirty" Noah looked at Jolly and Nicholas who both held guilty looks.

"The quicker we get this done the smoother it can be, the earlier we go the less we risk her being seen as well" Nicholas rushed out almost as he caught Noah's glance.

"Very well" Noah's eyes went up and a smile warmed his face as Helen brought over our orders in to go cups and a small box with more goodies then I asked for.

"Oh, Helen, how much is this? I only paid for the two items" I frowned feeling as if I was overstepping a line in a way.

She waved me off, "nothing, you made me hot-chocolate last night and it's the least I could do, are you going to be around tonight by chance?" she seemed excited to see me around.

"Ugh, unsure" I said truthfully.

"Well, if you need text me you can get my number off one of these three, it would be nice to have another female in the group" she looked at the three men beside me.
Hearing the bell to the shop ding, she turned her head and that's when I caught glimpse of a small scar on her neck peaking out over her black turtleneck sweater as she headed back towards the counter.

Noah must have caught my gaze as he cleared his throat. "She was attacked when she was working, she was only twenty-one at the time" he said softly. "She's twenty-four now and as much as I tell her to stop this place in fear of her being attacked again she shrugs me off, she is a pain sometimes, but I love her" I nodded my head listening.

"I didn't mean to be rude or anything, I'm sorry" I said standing as Nicholas seemed eager to leave.

"Don't be, I never seen her warmup to someone as fast as I seen her warmup to you, thank you for showing her kindness and reminding her that there are still good people out there" Noah seemed thankful.

Not saying anything. Nicholas, Jolly and myself made the journey to the phone store that was further in an area I wasn't familiar with. I would get glances where Nicholas muttered to keep walking, or to not bother looking no matter how nervous I felt, the one thing I noticed was no one held a camera like the main area, where if I went somewhere there would be a media photo within minutes with a new nickname created for me. Jolly held open a door as we slipped inside, the warmth of the shop had me thankful as the cold air bit at my exposed skin out there. "Joakim, Nicholas so good to see you both" said an older guy, he must have been in his mid forties or even possibly early fifties.

"Norman, good to see you as well, we need a favour" Jolly's Swedish accent could be heard as he stepped forward, already browsing at the options he had in mind.

"Oh, is everything alright?" his friend asked glancing his way to me, unsure of his reaction I stepped closer to Nicholas as a safety net.

Jolly began talking to the man, explaining what we needed and that it was best if the phone was the same as the current model I had. Nicholas leaned lower to me, a smirk on his face. "Want to take him out on a date?" he teased remembering my comment I made earlier.

Glaring up at him, I couldn't help but notice the smirk at the corner of his lips—he wasn't being rude, he was joking with me which caught me by surprise in a way. His blue eyes narrowed as he furrowed his brows before turning to look at me, "why are you looking at me like that" here we went again, his cold mask once more.

"I-I..." looking around, I shrugged feeling nervous, "you are insufferable" I sighed before stepping up beside Jolly, his friend Norman glancing once more at me. "Sorry, am I intruding?" I asked softly.

Jolly shook his head before handing me a new phone, it was a newer model which I still didn't understand why I needed a new phone. "No, Norman looks rough, but I promise you he is sweeter than the blue-eyed demon behind us" I nearly snorted at the joke he made towards Nicholas.

Once we finished up at the shop, we drove back to their compound around lunch, finally getting to sit down and enjoy the baked goods Helen had given me, I scrolled my new phone since Nicholas mentioned on the drive it was best if I only used that phone when we were out, they didn't tell me what was going on around my apartment but I felt it was important enough where this was necessary.
It felt like everyone in my life right now were keeping secrets and it bugged me, but right now it wasn't my place to question them.
Even if I wanted to know what was happening.

Looking at Nick as he walked in, dialing a number pressing the phone to his ear, I watched as the phone in my own hand began to ring. Smirking I hit accept watching as Nick, their youngest member smirked. "Tell me, when does the Concrete Princess have time for anything besides worrying" he joked.

Rolling my eyes I giggled as I looked at him. "I'm sorry, new phone who's this?" I heard a snort of laughter come from the room behind him as Jolly peeked his head out laughter still emitting from him.
Maybe the Bad Omens group weren't so bad after all.