14: Friends (18+)

TRIGGER WARNING: This chapter contains violence and assault as well as an 18+ scene. Reader's discretion has been advised.

~Gemma's POV:~

The next two weeks flew by. The Omens group had felt like they closed me out, Helen doing her best to keep me busy as the guys worked on what ever it was. Nicholas wouldn't tell me and half the time he was gone before I even woke up and sometimes wasn't even home when I went to bed, I'd even stay up late to try and speak to him to see how his day was going. The only thing I knew, is he was exhausted. They all were.
Helen and I would joke she felt like a mother getting her child ready for the day, it would be get up, get dressed and go to the coffee shop with here—half the time I would snack on pastries with her as we got her shop ready for the day, her customer's even growing used to me being there and some of them even speaking to me once they learnt I wasn't anything like my father, even having comments saying I reminded them of my mother.

My black hair hung loosely around my shoulders as I watched the rainfall against the glass windows of the compound, Helen and I only had gotten home about an hour or so ago after working late, both of us grabbing something quick to eat from a corner shop as the guys mentioned working late tonight. Helen was exhausted after working at the coffee shop and I wish I could have said the same.
"I need a long bubble bath and a good night's sleep, but sadly Noah is summoning me to the hotel he is at for the night, Nicholas will be home in a few minutes will you be fine?" she asked poking her head into Nicholas's room where I sat reading a comic I had pulled off the shelf.

"Yeah, I mean I'll probably head to bed soon in all honesty" it wasn't really a lie but at the same time I couldn't seem to calm my mind down enough to even think about sleeping.

Helen smiled tiredly from the door, "I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight Gemma" she said before closing the door behind herself.

Listening to the rain hitting the window, I watched the cold weather drown the jungle as I had a few moments alone. Yet in those moments all I could think about is how Nicholas and I hardly seen one another, how we only say maybe a handful of words to one another these last two weeks—it was his job to protect me, yet I felt he was hiding from me a good amount of the time, all of them were. When I'd enter their meetings they'd go quiet, and Noah would announce they'd finish discussing whatever it was later.
Pulled from my thoughts, I turned when the door to the room opened. Nicholas was exhausted, the bags under his eyes were showing more then they'd ever before. Placing the comic down on his desk I rose to my feet as I sauntered to the bed I slept in, Nicholas slept on the futon despite my protests. "You look tired" I said sitting on the edge of the bed feeling it's comfort.

"That's an understatement" he yawned as he slid off his coat.

Looking at the blanket beneath me, I looked back at Nicholas. "Come here" I said sitting back on the side of the bed, one leg hanging off. Confusion over his face as he watched me pat the bed beside me. "Oh, come on Nick, just crawl into this bed with me and trust me" rolling my eyes at him.

He hesitated but soon climbed into the bed, lying himself down on the pillow—he was tense, I could sense it as he laid beside me. Gently running my fingers through his raven black hair, he pulled away slightly. "What are you doing?" he questioned me.

Once more rolling my eyes, I looked at the man who seemed unsure of it. "I am helping you relax, now shut up and close your eyes" grumbling to him as I slid my fingers through his hair once more.

Nicholas closed his eyes and let out a deep breath. "I am not falling asleep, Nyx" his comment of my middle name had my cheeks flushing and a small smile tug at the corner of my mouth.

I knew how tired he was, and the way I ran my fingers through his hair is exactly how my mother ran hers through mine—with the gentle care half the time they didn't know was there. "Of course, but just take a moment to relax" I said in a hushed tone as we sat in silence listening to the sound of the rain.

"Work has been busy" he was sharing with me which made me happy in a sense.

"I could help, you know—I could go with you, find some stuff maybe?"

"No, it's too dangerous—you and I have spoken about this before" I didn't say anything, just sat there playing with his hair as we both let silence engulf us in the room.

About half hour later, Nicholas's soft snores sounded beside me pulling me out of my thoughts. Looking down at the man who was sound asleep, I couldn't help but feel he was finally peaceful. Sliding myself off the bed, I looked around the room debating on going back to the comic I was reading before.
Deciding otherwise, I looked to see a paper in Nicholas's jacket, curious I pulled it out to see some writing with question marks beside it.

The Grey?
Aaron Storm?
Frank Saunders?