Chapter 9

We finally made it to the Tomioka residence without any difficulties. I knocked on the door and waited for it to open. As usual, Giyuu opened the door and let us in. My father set down the soup and quickly left, claiming he didn’t want to take up too much of our time. I asked Giyuu if we could eat first so the soup didn’t get cold. Giyuu got us some bowls while I waited to serve everyone. Oddly, he only grabbed two.

“Aren’t you going to get your grandmother to eat with us?” I was puzzled. I haven’t seen her ever in my life even after the countless amount of times i’ve been here.

“She’s asleep, I’ll be sure to give her some later,” and with that, we started to eat. Tomioka said he really enjoyed my food, and that I was a great cook. I tried complimenting back but I failed since there’s nothing really to compliment beside his looks. 

We then started with the main event of my visit, the lessons. I tried remembering everything he taught me, but sometimes I needed some help. At some point, he sat behind me, with his body pressed against me and his hands on top of mine, guiding them. I got really nervous at the close proximity but he didn’t seem to mind.

There was a kind of cold but peaceful aura to him. You would feel relaxed around him but also a bit uneasy at the quiet. Like forcefully being put into a calming state of mind. And his scent didn’t help one bit either. I was a little agitated at first but the more time I spent with him around me, the more I got used to it. Besides, It meant he was comfortable to be so close to me and that was one step more into becoming his friend. Maybe he already perceived me as a friend.

By the end of his teachings, I felt like I knew so much. He even taught me a little on how to read notes and sheet music. He made me promise to return them once I was done using them though. I was bad at sight reading though, I was too slow, so it never sounded as it was intended.

Once again, like always, we finished and started drinking tea. I always managed to convince him to let me stay a little longer.

“Do you have to sta-” he started to say when he was handing me my cup but he was interrupted by footsteps. His eyes darted towards the hallway and I turned my head to look. I didn’t see anything out of the ordinary so I started to talk again, “I think your grandmother is up.”

Giyuu was already out of his chair. He started to heat up some soup and went to check up on her. He came back not too long and served her some soup before heading back to one of the rooms. The whole time I sat in my chair, my eyes followed him closely. I could hear faint talking when he was in the room. 

He came back out and sat in his chair once again. I tried convincing him to let me see her, “Can I say hello to her?” 

“No, she doesn’t like people a lot,” now I didn’t know if that was exactly true. I never heard anyone directly say they met the women. It was always just them saying where she lived and whom she lived with.

I shook my head and tried coming up with something new, “I have a question.”

“I might have an answer,” he stared at me with his hands on his cup, his eyes empty as per usual.

“You know that person you said you knew? That has the same last name as my family?”

“Yeah, the guy that looks oddly similar to your father?” he responded back before drinking his tea.

“I was wondering if he had a younger sister, also is he a demon slayer?” My question caused Tomioka to start choking on the liquid. He tried not spitting it out, and swallowed it all down in the end. He kept coughing a bit before regaining his composure. The whole things was actually funny. If I knew he would react like that, I would’ve said something sooner.