Chapter 10

I was trying to quickly finish packing everything into a small basket. It was hard coming up with what to eat that didn’t really need to be heated up. I had a feeling Tomioka would arrive early, he’d be the type of person too.

And I was correct, I heard a knock on my door when I finished putting everything inside the basket. I hurried to open the door, to which I was greeted by Giyuu, “Good Morning Kamado, here’s your pot.” He handed me the pot, somehow a bit more enthusiastic than ever. If you hadn’t met his previous self, you would still think he kept to himself so it wasn’t really much of an improvement.

“Oh thank you,” I took the pot into my own hands, “Please come in while I finish everything up.” I started to walk back into the kitchen to put the pot away.

“Okay"

“Yeah, we’re going on a picnic today. Hopefully you haven’t eaten yet,” I giggled, “It’s alright if you did. I packed something light just for that occasion.”

He was silent for a bit, staring at my face then my outfit, “Your clothes are neat, I can’t say the same for your face though.” He said it so nonchalantly that my jaw dropped. I closed it just as fast and started to scold him.

“You can’t say that, that’s so rude,” I pouted and turned around, so he couldn’t see me fixing my hair. Akaza wouldn't have said that.

He put his hands on my shoulders and turned me around to face him, “I meant that you look like you didn’t get much sleep.”

I brushed his hands off of me and walked past him to get my basket that was sitting on the table, “I tried my best. Shall we go now?”

I heard my mother come out of her room and I really didn’t want her to. All morning, I’ve been dreading this exact moment. Even though she seemed like the sweet type, she was definitely going to say something embarrassing.

“Leaving already? I thought you promised that I was going to be able to meet your date,” Tomioka raised his eyebrow, looking at me with his back turned to my mom. I tried making a face so he would understand that she’s a little excessive.

“How many times do I have to tell you? We’re just meeting up as friends,” I crossed my arms and put all my weight into one of my legs, leaning a bit to the side.

“Fine, you did say that but still,” she started to walk up to Giyuu and he seemed to notice so he turned around. “It’s nice to meet you Mrs. Kamado. You look very lovely today,” and I didn't think Giyuu could be charming either. My mom put a hand on one of her cheeks and sighed.

“He looks sophisticated enough, I think you’ll be fine,” she smiled at Tomioka and tried shaking his hand. The reason she wasn’t so worried was because she actually evaluated how strong he looked and she decided I could easily fight him off.

He took her hand, “Thank you Ma’am. I promise she’ll be safe with me.” I groaned and grabbed Giyuu’s wrist so we could leave. “This is sounding too much like a date, let’s go.” I turned around and saw my mom waving us goodbye as I grabbed my basket and blanket off the table and headed out the door. I let go of his hand once he started walking on his own beside me.

“You could be nicer to your mother,” no way he just started giving me a lesson. He was one to talk, he never even let me see his grandmother. It was as if he was keeping her hostage and isolated.

I stayed silent so he did the same. We didn’t say anything on our way to the edge of the village where the forest started. He looked at me with a blank expression, just standing there when I stopped. “Aren’t you going to say anything? You were talking a lot before.” It seemed like all the conversations we had in the past vanished from his mind.