𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘍𝘰𝘶𝘳

𝘈𝘶𝘳𝘰𝘳𝘢

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

I'm screaming and papá is looking at me, the hot iron pressed to my ribs.

Enzo has me between his legs, ankles locked around mine to hold me down and Dante is pushing my shoulders to the mattress. I can feel the burn, and I think I would rather die than have this pain. "And done," I watch the steam rise as papá drops the brand in cold water, "I'm so proud of you Piccola," his words are soft but I can't focus, white-hot pain has settled in my ribs, the pain so severe that I'm seconds away from puking.

"Papá," Dante is brushing the hair back from my forehead, his palm sticky with the sweat that had collected, "She's going to be ill."

"Sì," Enzo is running his thumbs across the back of my hands, "She's trembling papá, we need to get her a bucket."

I was breathing hard, my chest rising and falling so quickly it was painful, eyes shut until my papá's fingers were squeezing my cheeks, pulling me up so I was inches from his face, a yelp leaving my mouth involuntarily and I yanked my hands away from Enzo to grip my stomach, the sudden change making me nauseous. "No child of mine loses their stomach over a little pain," I closed my eyes when his spit covered my cheeks, anger in his voice, "Your brothers can kill men without shedding a tear, you will not cry over a little pain." I was shoved away from my father, landing in Dante's lap. "If she throws up, she sleeps in it, I will see you in the morning."

My bedroom door shut and I finally let out a sob, too scared to look at the charred skin on my ribs. "Please go," I whispered when Dante pulled me up to his chest, hugging me tightly, Enzo joining in, "I don't want you guys to see me right now."

"I'm sorry Sorellina," Dante's voice was soft, as always when he spoke to me, "We love you."

"Please go."

I shot up in bed, my stomach churning from the memory. I could still smell my burning skin, and feel the hot iron pressed against my skin. I shook, scrambling for anything, something of comfort, and when my fingers found the stuffed elephant, tucked between my pillow and the one next to it a sob wrenched free. I curled around Nelly that night, and as I recovered from the nightmare of that night, I curled around the plushie once more. Everything hurt, my body, my heart, my head.

The door opened and I looked over seeing Steve, his shirt was off as he strolled into the room, sweats hung low on his hips. His tattoos were on display, intricate portraits covered his chest and his back. "Bambina," I drug my eyes back up to his, "You're covered in sweat sweet girl," Steve sat on the edge of the bed, not touching me and I realized I must look terrified because he wasn't trying to touch me, he wasn't taunting me, there was genuine concern on his face. "Do you need anything?"

My stomach churned again, and I let out a shaky breath, my father's words echoing in my head. No child of mine loses their stomach over a little pain. My arm brushed the brand, which seemed to hurt every time I had this nightmare. "Aurora," Steve's eyes widened when I gasped, doubling over in the bed and puking, the contents of my stomach landing on the comforter. "Woah, hey," Steve moved to sit beside me, pulling my hair behind my shoulders and holding it up as I continued to puke.

"I'm sorry," I cried, his palm resting in the center of my shoulder blades, I could feel the spit resting on my chin, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, please don't make me sleep in it."

"Breathe Aurora," Steve's voice was soothing, catching me when I collapsed, making sure I didn't land in the pile of my sick, "I'm a monster to a lot of people, but I'm not going to make anyone sleep in their own vomit," I turned my head to look at him, his eyes were soft, not looking at me like I was a hindrance for once, which honestly, he shouldn't look at me like one at all considering he's the reason I was brought into his world. "Are you okay? If I lift you are you going to throw up on me?"