𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘌𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵𝘦𝘦𝘯

𝘈𝘶𝘳𝘰𝘳𝘢

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

"How long has he been out there pacing?"

Natasha and I were sat on the couch, watching Steve pace the hallway while Bucky leaned against the wall on the security camera. It had been two days since I told him to leave, and my phone had been ringing non-stop, I wasn't even aware that Steve had my number. But if I didn't answer, I was hit with a good morning text, then a text halfway through the day asking if I ate, and one more at night telling me to sleep well. It was sweet, but I couldn't get Steve's voice out of my head telling me I'm only heard because he amplifies my voice, and while I said there's no hard feelings, I'm still hurt. He said everything he did to be mean, to be cruel, and yet I still loved him.

"I'm not sure," Natasha scooped some popcorn into her mouth, "I don't think I've ever seen Steve this out of wack."

I looked over at the redhead beside me, I had been so thankful for her friendship for the past few days. She held me as I sobbed when I showed up at her door, I cried for nearly thirteen hours straight, she tried to keep Steve away from me, and she ignored Bucky's calls because he had asked her to make me come back to the manor. And honestly, if she told me that two days ago, I probably would have gone back. I missed sleeping in Steve's bed, even if he wasn't there I felt safe, safer than I did at Natasha's, even with the men stationed in every corner of the room. Our privacy had been stripped but neither of us seemed to mind. But I nearly begged her to call Steve two days ago, to have him pick me up so I could pretend everything was normal, I would never mention I loved him again if I felt safe.

I missed the garden and the fountains, I missed the employees who told me stories of Steve's mother, and I missed the feeling of knowing what was happening around me. Right now, I knew my family was still searching for me, and I had made myself vulnerable by leaving Steve's manor. That had made me uneasy for days, but I hadn't voiced it, there were men stationed everywhere in this building, nothing could hurt me here, I had to keep reminding myself that.

"Maybe I should go talk to him," I went to sit up, being slammed back to the couch by Natasha's hand on my chest.

"And take away our source of evening entertainment?" She handed me the bowl of popcorn again, and I stared at the kernels in my lap, "Not a chance."

So we sat in silence, watching Steve on the fuzzy screen. He looked exhausted, even through the horrible pixels of the video camera. It looked like he didn't sleep and that sent a pang of guilt to my gut. I wasn't ashamed of how I was feeling, but maybe I should have chosen a different time to voice them because Steve looks off his game at a time when he has to be sharp. I could've loved Steve in silence just a little longer because we were so close to pulling my father out of power, yet my impulse won over, and I spoke without thinking of the repercussions. I have never had that option, of making my own choices, and now I wasn't sure I made the right one.

I watched Steve pace for another fifteen minutes before I pushed the popcorn onto the table, it was getting painful watching him pause by the front door before he started pacing again. "I'm putting him out of his misery," I muttered, hopping over the back of the couch before Natasha could say anything. I also just wanted to see Steve again, two days felt like years, but I wasn't going to be the one who broke first. He needs to work for my forgiveness, one day at a time.

Steve froze in the middle of the hallway when I yanked open the door.

And before I could say anything, I was wrapped up in his arms, stumbling with him into the hallway and crashing into the wall. His mouth was pressed to the top of my head, and his body shook as if he was sobbing. But instead of pulling away, I sank into him, letting him hold me and take what he needed as comfort. "Well," Bucky said from beside us, a crooked smile on his lips as he glanced at me, "I'll give you two privacy, and Natasha has a list of things for me to accomplish before we leave." Bucky pat Steve's shoulder before walking into the apartment, shutting the door behind him.