𝘊𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘚𝘪𝘹

𝘈𝘶𝘳𝘰𝘳𝘢

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

I was so tired.

I was being treated like property by two men. Two men who thought they owned me, who thought they were able to make decisions for me. Bucky was in the driver's seat beside me, both hands on the wheel while we drove from the city, heading to whatever dungeon Steve decided to put me in this time. "Can we stop somewhere?" I asked, looking at Bucky who let his gaze leave the road for a moment before turning back to the asphalt, "I just want to change, I feel like a piece of meat."

Sympathy crossed Bucky's face, his blinker coming on as he switched lanes, heading towards an off-ramp to the financial district of the city. I didn't question anything, just sat quietly, thankful that someone seemed to care about my safety, about my mental stability. I watched the passing skyscrapers, the sun glittering off the windows, and I wished so badly I had my mother's childhood, one of love and friends, of freedom. But I would never get that, I would be stuck in this stupid world where my father used my body as his bargaining chip, and Steve used my life as his. Bucky silently pulled the car to an underground parking garage of a nice building, throwing the gearshift into park and pulling the key free, seconds later he was opening up the passenger side, taking my hand to help me out.

He held my hand tightly as we walked through the lobby, the heels clicking against the black marble tile.

Bucky pulled me in front of him when we reached the elevator, his thumb hitting the up button before his hand rested on my shoulder. "I don't think I need to be protected here," I laughed, but it came out broken, and sad, and suddenly I had to bite my lip to not let out a sob that started to build in my throat. Maybe it was because I was so exhausted, but a part of me knew, it came from a hurt that Steve didn't cause but was constantly pouring kerosene on them. I had grown so used to being alone, that having Steve show kindness for a second only to turn and become a cruel cold man towards me was ripping open wounds left and right. Damaging parts of me that I didn't know weren't damaged already.

"You're a highly sought-after woman," Bucky's voice was calm, so deathly calm, and his hand on her shoulder made a single tear fall down her cheek, "Your life is valuable to many. Some want you breathing, others would love to see you six feet underground."

The metal doors opened, and Bucky placed one hand on the small of my back, guiding me forward, pressing on the fortieth floor. The elevator music grated on my nerves, but I stood quietly behind Bucky, tears dripping down my face. I just wanted a moment where I felt normal, where I didn't have a gun pressed against my neck, where I didn't watch a man demand my body because he felt like he deserved it. When we got to the floor, Bucky scanned the hallway, taking my hand in his and pulling me to an apartment. His free hand slipped into the pocket of his slacks, pulling out a keychain and shoving the key into the top lock, pushing me into the apartment gently before stepping behind me.

The apartment was cozy and soft, it felt homely. Giant windows covered the south wall, sunlight streamed directly into the apartment, and houseplants were around the floor, it looked like a place that a couple would live in, not a bachelor, which is what I thought Bucky was. His hand was pressed to the middle of my back, his eyes roving over the apartment before he called out. "Babe, are you home?"

Seconds later one of the most beautiful women I have ever seen came out of a room I figured was the master bedroom. She was wearing a pair of leggings, what I assumed was one of Bucky's shirts, and some socks. She was effortlessly beautiful, with gorgeous red hair I'd love to have, and bright blue-green eyes. "Hi babe," She smiled, regarding me before walking over to Bucky, who wrapped his free arm around her waist, kissing her forehead, "Is this Steve's new bargaining chip?"