12 •

Chicago, IL 📍

Chicago, IL 📍

2:30 PM

"Are you sure this is her building?" Chris asked Justice as the two of them sat in his car outside of the building she remembered dropping Dearra off at.

Nodding her head Justice looked at the address again "Yes I'm sure, let's go in". Chris cut the engine and got out while she did the same. As they entered the building they were met with a lady at the front desk scrolling on her phone not paying them any attention.

Justice and Chris looked at each other before she cleared her throat making the security look up. She had a slight frown on her face "What apartment?"

"Damn, I forgot the apartment number" Chris spoke up.

The lady at the desk rolled her eyes and scooted her chair up closer to the desk "Tenant's name?"

"Dearra Brown"

After clicking a few times on the screen she picked up the phone and dialed Dearra's number twice before looking up at Justice and Chris and shaking her head. "I can't let you up, she didn't answer"

"Can you try again?" Justice asked.

"I already called her twice.." the security mugged them. While Justice and Chris's patience grew very low they really wanted to check on Dearra and Justice wasn't leaving until she did so.

Justice quickly came up with a lie "Look we're her siblings and we know our sister isn't right in the head we just really need to check on her since she isn't answering her phone. That's all"

"If that's your sister why yall don't remember her apartment number?" The security asked looking at Chris mainly.

"Because I be forgetting shit I have amnesia" Chris said and Justice put her head down so she wouldn't laugh.

"Ain't you a little young to have amnesia?" she asked Chris and he looked her up and down.

"Ain't you a little too big for that size medium shirt?" He shot back. This time Justice turned away from the desk as her cheeks turned red from trying to stop her laugh before finally turning around again "Look can you just call her back once more"

The security rolled her eyes and dialed the number one more time as she mugged Chris. Luckily this time Dearra answered and once she hung up they both we able to buzzed in. After getting off of the elevator you could hear the both of their voices and laughter fill the hallway as Dearra peaked her head out of the door.

As they approached her apartment their vibe completely changed it was dark inside. It wasn't dirty but just messy and you could sense a depressing cloud hovering over the atmosphere. "Umm girl why is it so dark in here you was taking a nap?" Chris looked around and then at her.

She looked tired, bags under her eyes, Hair in a ponytail and her lashes needed a fill in.

"My bad I didn't know yall were just going to be popping up" she went over to the living room area opening her curtains a little letting in some light.