14

Chapter 14

Today marked the day of re-entry, and miraculously, Evangeline was already dressed in her uniform—opting for the boy's version, defiantly refusing to wear a skirt. Yet, despite her preparedness, a familiar flutter of nerves coursed through her veins. The weight of having to deliver a speech added to her unease, until a certain cub's voice brought her back to reality.

"Evangeline, still fretting about that speech, are you?" he chuckled, teasing her.

"It's not amusing. I'd like to see you in my shoes," she retorted, feeling a pang of offense.

"Ah, but you humans are endlessly complicated. I'm grateful to be a magical beast," he remarked with a hint of amusement.

Just then, Julie entered the room, breaking the tension.

"Evangeline, hurry up. Your parents are waiting," she chimed in, her voice accompanied by a warm smile.

"I'm coming, Julie. You can go ahead," Evangeline replied, her heart racing as the looming moment of her speech approached.

Julie curtsied and exited the room, leaving Evangeline to grapple with her mounting stress. Yet, a comforting presence found solace on her shoulder.

"Don't worry, Evangeline. I'll be right there with you," the cub assured her, nuzzling against her.

"You're right. I'm probably making a fuss over nothing," Evangeline reasoned, attempting to reassure herself.

With renewed determination, she swiftly left her room and made her way outside, where her two mothers awaited beside the coach.

Misaki spoke up, addressing Evangeline's nerves. "Not too anxious about your speech, Evangeline?"

"I think I'll be fine," she responded, though her tone betrayed her lack of confidence.

Azumi chimed in, her hand gently caressing Evangeline's head. "Don't fret. As long as you avoid any major blunders, everything will go smoothly."

The touch of Azumi's hand instantly calmed Evangeline's racing thoughts. "Thank you for your support," she expressed, a smile playing upon her lips.

Misaki injected a note of caution into the conversation. "Just be mindful not to break anything. The expenses at this school can be exorbitant, despite our wealth."

"I'll do my best, but I can't make any promises," Evangeline replied honestly.

Seiko, ever mischievous, chimed in, pledging to minimize damage. "I promise to make an effort to break as little as possible."

Misaki's anger flared at Seiko's comment. "At least show some effort! After all, it's not you who foots the bill," she admonished.

Azumi intervened, sensing the brewing tension. "Let's not dwell on this. Evangeline might be late for her first day if we continue."

"If there's nothing more to add, I'll take my leave," Evangeline declared as she climbed into the carriage. She bid her parents a final farewell, and the carriage set off towards the school. After a few hours, they arrived, and Evangeline, expressing gratitude to the driver, swiftly entered the premises.

She immediately encountered Megumi upon entering.

"Hey, Megumi! It's great that we're attending the same school," Evangeline greeted, a smile adorning her face.

Megumi returned the sentiment, offering a thumbs-up. "I'm glad too. Oh, and good luck with your speech."

Surprised by Megumi's knowledge, Evangeline inquired, "How did you know about that?"