16

Chapter 16

After the unsettling incident at school, Evangeline returned home with the knowledge that she was about to face her mother's wrath. Hastening to the castle, she glimpsed her two mothers standing there, their icy gaze fixated on her, sending shivers down her spine.

Misaki approached, her voice dripping with disapproval. "Didn't Evangeline promise not to cause any trouble? Setting fire to the school hallway was not a wise decision."

"Mom, I'm sorry. It was an accident. I just sneezed; I didn't do it intentionally," Evangeline pleaded, her head bowed in contrition.

Seiko chimed in, defending her friend. "Yes, she's right. It was an accident. There's no need to punish her."

Evangeline, gaining a hint of confidence, affirmed, "Seiko is correct. There's no reason to punish me. I didn't do anything wrong."

Azumi, adopting a stern tone, interjected, "No, Evangeline. That could have been incredibly dangerous. If you had harmed any students or staff, you need to exercise more caution, understood?"

Releasing a heavy sigh, Evangeline nodded and made an attempt to leave the scene.

"Wait, Evangeline," Misaki called out, halting her. "You don't believe we're going to let you get away with this."

Surprised, Evangeline questioned, "What do you mean?"

Misaki continued, "If I recall correctly, you still have a considerable sum of money left over from your previous missions, don't you?"

"Yes, but that's meant for purchasing weapons, chocolate, and food for Seiko. You can't take it away from me," Evangeline protested.

Seiko chimed in once again, emphasizing their point. "Yes, she's right. You can't do that. Otherwise, I won't be able to enjoy the treats I love."

Apologizing profusely, tears welling up in her eyes, Evangeline implored, "Mommy, I'm truly sorry. I won't do it again. Please don't take my money."

Misaki hardened her heart, cautioning Azumi, "Don't let her tears sway you. If we give in, she'll only repeat her actions."

Azumi, determined, affirmed, "You won't deceive me this time, Evangeline. Now, you must face the consequences of your actions."

"And on top of that, you'll be deprived of pocket money for a month," Misaki added.

"That's too much! Besides, you're taking away my pocket money!" Evangeline exclaimed, her anger surfacing.

"Hush, young lady. Say no more, or losing your pocket money won't be your sole punishment," Misaki warned, silencing her.

Fearful of further retribution, Evangeline kept her silence, dreading the consequences that awaited her.

Seiko interjected, questioning the fairness of his own punishment. "Wait a minute. Why must I suffer the consequences of her actions when I didn't do anything?"

Misaki reminded Seiko, "Remember when you destroyed the school kitchen?"

Seiko fell silent, and together, he and Evangeline retreated to their room, consumed by sadness.

POV: Misaki

"Misaki, you're being too hard on her right now. After all, she's just a child," Azumi voiced her concern.

"No, don't worry. She'll learn from her mistakes. She's our daughter, and she needs to understand that we won't always be there to shield her," Misaki asserted firmly.

"I know, but her actions weren't intentional. She has a vast reservoir of magical power, and controlling it can be challenging," Azumi attempted to reason.