48

Two weeks had passed since the fateful encounter with the mysterious man. While Evangeline and Seiko had recovered from their wounds, Mana remained in a deep slumber within the hospital walls. Each day, without fail, Evangeline made her pilgrimage to Mana's bedside, a silent vigil of hope amidst the quiet hum of the medical facility.

This particular day was no different. The sun dipped low on the horizon, casting long shadows across the hospital room. Seiko had bid her goodnight moments ago, leaving Evangeline alone with her thoughts and the still form of Mana.

Seated in the chair opposite Mana's bed, Evangeline's gaze lingered on the peaceful face of her beloved. She reached out, her fingers lightly tracing the contours of Mana's cheek, a gesture of both affection and longing.

"I pray for your awakening every day, Mana," Evangeline whispered softly, her voice carrying the weight of her emotions. "I cannot bear to lose you again, not after finally finding you."

With a heavy heart, Evangeline rose from her seat, her eyes lingering on Mana's serene expression for a moment longer before she turned to leave. Exiting the hospital room, she made her way back home to the castle.

Within the castle walls, the familiar bustle of life greeted her. Servants and handmaidens flitted about, attending to their duties. Evangeline made her way to the kitchen, where she found Misaki and Azumi awaiting her arrival. Seiko was already seated, partaking in the evening meal.

As Evangeline entered the kitchen, the aroma of freshly cooked food enveloped her, a comforting sensation amidst the uncertainty that loomed over Mana's condition. Misaki and Azumi  greeted her with warm smiles, their concern evident in their eyes.

"Evangeline, dear, how was your visit today?" Azumi inquired, her voice filled with a mix of empathy and apprehension.

Evangeline sighed softly, her shoulders slumping as she sank into a chair at the table. "The same as every day, Mother. Mana hasn't shown any signs of improvement," she replied, her voice tinged with melancholy.

Misaki placed a comforting hand on Evangeline's shoulder. "We must remain hopeful, my love. Mana is strong, and she will pull through," she reassured, her words imbued with maternal warmth.

Seiko nodded in agreement. "Yes, Mana will wake up soon, I'm sure of it," he chimed in optimistically

Despite their attempts to offer solace, a heavy silence lingered in the air, the uncertainty of Mana's condition casting a shadow over the room.

After swiftly finishing her meal, Evangeline bid her parents goodnight and retreated to her room. A few minutes later, Seiko joined her. Evangeline took a quick shower and then changed into her night clothes. As she emerged from the bathroom, she found Seiko already settled on the bed, waiting for her.

Without wasting any time, Seiko posed a question, his eyes curious yet understanding. "You still haven't told me what's going on between you and Mana," he inquired, his wolf-like features displaying a mix of concern and intrigue.

Evangeline sighed softly, her expression thoughtful as she sat down beside Seiko. 

"It's complicated," she began, her words carrying the weight of uncertainty. "For now, you can think of us as... lovers," she explained, her voice tinged with uncertainty. 

"But I promise, I'll tell you everything one day. It's just... too much to explain right now," she added, her gaze meeting Seiko's with a mixture of reassurance and longing for understanding.

Seiko nodded understandingly, acknowledging Evangeline's need for time and space. "Everyone has their secrets," he agreed, offering her a reassuring smile. "When you're ready to tell me, I'll be here to listen," he added softly.

Evangeline returned his smile gratefully, feeling a sense of comfort in his presence. As minutes passed, Seiko eventually drifted off to sleep, but Evangeline remained awake, her mind consumed by thoughts of Mana. Despite her exhaustion, sleep eluded her as she grappled with the uncertainties swirling in her mind.

What if Mana never woke up? What if this reality wasn't real, and the Mana she knew was lost to her forever? The fear of losing Mana haunted Evangeline's thoughts, leaving her feeling helpless and vulnerable. With a heavy heart, she pondered the possibility of witnessing Mana's demise once again, a prospect that filled her with dread and despair.

Switching perspectives, we find ourselves in Rosaline's office, where she is joined by Jade and Midori. Rosaline begins the conversation, her tone grave yet determined. "We've almost succeeded in our plan, but I didn't expect that blasted master to come after us," she remarks, frustration evident in her voice. Jade and Midori nod in agreement, understanding the gravity of the situation.

Midori speaks up next, his expression reflecting concern. "Indeed, but we have another pressing issue. This mysterious individual could seize control of Mana at any moment and turn her against us. We need to proceed with caution and find a way to free her from their influence as soon as possible," he states, his worry palpable.

Jade chimes in, her confidence unwavering. "Fear not, we're already working on a spell to release her from their control. But that's not all," she adds, a mischievous glint in her eye.

 "Rosaline, did you bring the photo you promised?" she asks, a smile playing on her lips.

Rosaline nods, reaching into her pocket to retrieve a photograph of Evangeline and Mana locked in a tender embrace amidst the forest scenery. With a smirk, she presents the photo to her companions, anticipation gleaming in her eyes.

The three of them are pleased with the photo, and the prospect of Evangeline and Mana becoming a couple seems to be drawing closer. Now, let's shift to another perspective—that of the mysterious master. We find ourselves in an abandoned and seemingly haunted castle. Deep within its walls lies a mysterious laboratory, where the master stands alongside other masked individuals.

Before them sits a cage containing a pink wolf. In the master's hand is a syringe filled with blue, red, and green liquids. With a calculated movement, the master injects the concoction into the pink wolf. Almost immediately, the wolf begins to cry out in agony, its cries echoing throughout the chamber for several minutes before abruptly stopping.

However, there is no discernible change in the pink wolf's condition. The mysterious master's expression darkens with displeasure as he tosses the syringe aside, the clang of metal against stone echoing ominously in the room.

One of the masked figures dared to question the master's next move, asking about Mana's betrayal. Without a word, the master seized the dissenter by the neck, his eyes ablaze with dark magic. In an instant, the unfortunate soul was engulfed in flames, his agonized screams silenced as his form crumbled to ash.

As the charred remains fell to the ground, the other masked figures remained stoic, their loyalty to the master unwavering. Addressing his followers, the master spoke with authority, outlining their next steps. Despite the setback of Mana's betrayal, he remained confident in their ultimate goal.

"For now, we lack the necessary magical energy to awaken the calamity we seek," the master declared, his voice echoing off the chamber walls. "But fear not. Mana will yet serve us. She remains under my control, a pawn in our game."

Turning his gaze to the assembled masked figures, the master issued his final command. "Continue to embed yourselves within the school's walls as our eyes and ears. I want to know every detail of what occurs within those hallowed halls."

With a solemn nod from each of his followers, the master's orders were affirmed, and they dispersed to carry out their clandestine mission. The chamber fell into an eerie silence, the only sound the faint rustle of robes as the masked figures departed, leaving the master alone with his dark thoughts.