15

Chapter 15

Evangeline and Megumi emerged from the bleachers and approached their teacher, feeling a peculiar pressure bearing down on them. Sensing a presence, Evangeline turned around, searching for its source, but found nothing amiss. Choosing to ignore the sensation, they continued onward. Once the teacher ensured that everyone was present, they proceeded towards their assigned classroom.

Upon entering the classroom, a noticeable shift in atmosphere filled the air. The students settled into their seats, and Evangeline chose the back seat next to the window, with Megumi by her side.

"Greetings, dear students. I am pleased to welcome you all. My name is Izumi Jun," their teacher introduced himself with a slight bow.

Whispers began to flutter throughout the room, but Izumi swiftly slammed his fist on the table, effectively silencing the chatter.

"You did not come here to engage in idle banter. This world we inhabit is treacherous, where death can easily befall you. Listen to me carefully," he stated, a sense of urgency underlining his words.

Most of the students appeared shocked by the teacher's warning, while a few wore knowing smiles. As for Evangeline, she remained unfazed by the cautionary message.

"Now, let us conduct a small test of your magical abilities," Izumi declared, a smile playing upon his lips.

A student raised her hand, and Izumi granted permission to speak.

"It's the first day of school. Shouldn't we be discussing the school itself, rather than taking a test?" she voiced her displeasure.

"Yes, indeed. However, this is my class, and my rules. Besides, conforming to the norm is dreadfully tedious. I prefer to do things my way," Izumi replied, a glint of mischief flickering in his eyes.

No one dared to challenge his authority further, and the class continued in relative silence.

Izumi continued, addressing the enthusiastic response he observed. "Since you all appear eager, we shall form groups for the test." But before he could finish his sentence, an alarm suddenly blared, startling everyone present.

"What's happening? Why is there an alarm?" Student 1 voiced the confusion that rippled through the room.

Anxiety and commotion permeated the atmosphere, but Izumi's voice cut through the chaos, attempting to restore calm.

"Children, remain calm. This is not the time for panic. Intruders have breached the school, and we must swiftly evacuate to a secure location."

Evangeline couldn't help but wear a smile on her face, expressing her excitement. Seiko mirrored her sentiment.

However, Megumi's response was filled with apprehension. "Evangeline, I don't think this is a moment to be joyful."

Gradually, the students began to regain their composure. Yet, amidst the newfound calm, an ice spike suddenly jutted out from the ground, striking Izumi before he had a chance to react. The impact rendered him unconscious in an instant.

"How are we supposed to manage without our teacher? He's unconscious," Student 2 sobbed, tears welling in his eyes.

Panic gripped half of the students, leading some to even faint.

A figure emerged from the ground, an unsettling smile etched upon his face. This man resembled an impenetrable fortress, with almond-shaped golden eyes and medium-length, silky, wavy green hair styled precisely. Despite his somewhat diminutive stature, a dangerous aura emanated from him, instilling fear in some students. The room fell into a profound silence, with the weight of his presence stifling any words.