40

As Evangeline lies on her bed, surrounded by the quiet of her room, the weight of her thoughts presses down upon her. She tosses and turns, unable to shake the nagging questions swirling in her mind.

What if Mana is indeed the same Mana from her past life? The possibility sends a shiver down her spine, igniting a flurry of conflicting emotions within her. On one hand, the idea fills her with a sense of longing—a longing to reconnect with the Mana she once knew, to rediscover the bond they shared in another lifetime. But on the other hand, it fills her with apprehension and uncertainty. What if this Mana is not the same as before? What if their reunion only leads to disappointment and heartache?

Lost in her musings, Evangeline replays the moments she's shared with Mana since their paths crossed again. She recalls their arguments, their clashes, their moments of camaraderie—and beneath it all, she senses a subtle undercurrent of something more. Is it possible that amidst their constant bickering, there lies an unspoken connection waiting to be acknowledged?

But as she dwells on these thoughts, doubts begin to creep in. What if her feelings are nothing more than wishful thinking? What if she's reading too much into their interactions? The uncertainty gnaws at her, casting a shadow over her restless mind.

In the darkness of her room, Evangeline's thoughts are consumed by the enigma that is Mana. She grapples with the complexities of their relationship, wrestling with the conflicting emotions that tug at her heartstrings. And as she drifts off into an uneasy sleep, one question lingers in the recesses of her mind, echoing in the silence of the night: What lies ahead for her and Mana in this new chapter of their intertwined destinies?

POV Mana 

In the stillness of the night, Mana lay awake in her bed, her mind a whirlwind of conflicting thoughts and emotions. Despite the darkness that enveloped her room, her thoughts were consumed by the image of Evangeline. It seemed that no matter how hard she tried to push her out of her mind, Evangeline's presence lingered, haunting her every waking moment.

Every time Mana closed her eyes, she saw Evangeline's face, her fiery gaze burning into her soul. It was as if Evangeline had cast a spell on her, weaving her way into every corner of Mana's consciousness. Even in the bustling streets of the city, Mana couldn't shake the feeling that Evangeline was watching her, lurking in the shadows, waiting to pounce.

As exhaustion finally began to weigh heavy on her eyelids, Mana slipped into a fitful sleep, only to be greeted by a haunting dream. In the dream, she found herself in a quaint wooden house, sitting across from a figure with a blurred face. Despite the obscurity of their features, Mana felt a strange sense of familiarity wash over her. They shared a quiet breakfast together, the atmosphere filled with an eerie calmness.

But just as Mana began to relax into the dream, a sudden wave of anger washed over the figure, accusing her of forgetting something important. Mana's heart raced with fear as she struggled to comprehend the cryptic message. And then, with a jolt, she was ripped from the dream, her heart pounding in her chest as she returned to the harsh reality of daylight.

With a heavy sigh, Mana dragged herself out of bed and made her way to the bathroom. As she stared into the mirror, she was greeted by the sight of her mismatched eyes—one green, one red. It was a sight she had grown accustomed to, a constant reminder of the strange and otherworldly forces at play in her life.

"Another day of shit," Mana muttered to herself, her voice tinged with bitterness and resignation. 

As Mana stared at her reflection in the mirror, the weight of the world seemed to bear down on her shoulders. The incessant flickering of her eyes, shifting between green and red, served as a constant reminder of the chaos that had engulfed her life since the arrival of Evangeline. It was as if the very fabric of her being had been thrown into disarray, and she couldn't help but wonder if Evangeline was somehow to blame for it all.

Just as the tendrils of anger began to coil within her, Mana was jolted from her thoughts by a voice echoing inside her head. It was a voice she knew all too well—a voice that belonged to her master.

"So you gave Evangeline the necklace," the voice intoned.

Mana's brow furrowed in confusion at the mention of the necklace. She had indeed orchestrated the gifting of the necklace to Evangeline through her friend Megumi, but she hadn't realized the significance of the act until now.

"Yes, don't worry, I got her friend Megumi to give her the necklace, master," Mana replied, her voice tinged with uncertainty.

"That's fine then, but don't forget to maintain your secret identity. You and Evangeline are key to our plan," the voice continued, its tone laden with purpose.

As the gravity of the situation began to sink in, Mana felt a surge of determination wash over her. Today was the day they would set their plan into motion, the day they would finally capture Evangeline and Seiko.

"Alright, then, I'll do my best," Mana affirmed, her voice steady despite the turmoil raging within her.

Before she could dwell any longer on the impending task at hand, the voice issued one final command.

"Don't forget to take your medicine," it urged, and with that, a small box materialized next to the sink.

With trembling hands, Mana reached for the box and retrieved a single pill. Swallowing it with a gulp of water, she felt a wave of dizziness wash over her, followed by a pounding headache that threatened to split her skull in two.

But as quickly as the discomfort had come, it was gone, leaving Mana feeling strangely hollow yet oddly invigorated. With a deep breath, she squared her shoulders and faced her reflection once more, steeling herself for the challenges that lay ahead.

"Now that you know what we're going to do, I'll leave you to it," the voice concluded, fading into the recesses of Mana's mind.

Alone once more, Mana gazed at her reflection with a sense of determination burning in her eyes.