46

As Evangeline and Mana stood together, their embrace slowly fading, a sense of uncertainty lingered in the air. Suddenly, Mana gently pushed Evangeline away, her expression a mixture of confusion and distress.

"I never expected to regain my memories or to see you again in this life," Mana said, her voice trembling with emotion as tears welled up in her eyes. Evangeline could sense the turmoil within her, the weight of her past bearing down on her fragile soul.

Before Evangeline could respond, Mana's anguish intensified, her features contorting in pain as another wave of agony washed over her. Evangeline watched in concern as Mana clenched her fists, her eyes flickering between red and green, a silent battle raging within her.

Unable to bear seeing Mana in such distress, Evangeline reached out to comfort her, her touch gentle yet reassuring. "Mana, what's happening to you?" she asked, her voice filled with concern.

But Mana could only grit her teeth in response, her struggle evident as she fought against an unseen force threatening to consume her. With each passing moment, the turmoil within her seemed to grow stronger, casting a shadow over their fragile reunion.

As Evangeline approached Mana, she reached out and gently touched her face, her touch imbued with soothing warmth. With a gentle infusion of her own magic, Evangeline eased Mana's pain, her healing touch washing away the turmoil that had consumed her. Gradually, Mana's eyes returned to their verdant hue, and the throbbing ache in her head subsided.

Relieved to see Mana's condition improve, Evangeline took a step back, her concern etched on her features. "What happened to you, Mana?" she asked, her voice filled with genuine worry.

Before Mana could respond, their conversation was abruptly interrupted by the arrival of the woman in the fox mask. 

In a swift motion, the girl in the fox mask darted between Evangeline and Mana, her fist aiming for Evangeline's face. However, Evangeline barely flinched as the punch landed, her resolve unshaken.

"You'll have to try harder than that," Evangeline remarked calmly, her hand emanating a vibrant blue glow. With a sudden burst of energy, she capitalized on the masked girl's surprise, delivering a powerful blow that sent her hurtling several meters away.

Meanwhile, Mana, still recovering from her earlier ordeal, found herself unable to join the fray. Despite Evangeline's weariness from their recent battle, she remained determined to shield Mana from harm.

"Don't worry, Mana. I've got you covered this time. Once this is over, you can explain everything," Evangeline reassured her with a reassuring smile. Though Mana remained silent, she nodded in agreement.

Struggling to rise to her feet, the woman in the fox mask appeared visibly weakened from her previous encounter. Despite her weakened state, she continued to assert her claim over Mana.

"Mana, you belong with us. Don't be foolish," the woman asserted confidently.

But Evangeline was having none of it. With a flicker of azure flames enveloping her form like a protective cloak, she materialized in front of the woman, seizing her by the neck. Within moments, the woman began to smolder, her form disintegrating into ash under Evangeline's fiery grasp.

Evangeline swiftly returned to Mana's side, dispelling her magic and reverting to her usual appearance. Suddenly, Evangeline scooped Mana up into her arms like a princess, eliciting a blush from Mana.

"Evangeline, what in the world are you doing? Please put me down. I can walk perfectly fine on my own," protested Mana, playfully punching Evangeline's shoulder.

Unable to contain her affection, Evangeline tightened her embrace, refusing to release Mana. "I can't bear to let you go again. If you vanish once more, I wouldn't know what to do. As long as you're with me, you'll stay safe. I won't lose you again," Evangeline confessed, her voice filled with sincerity as she lowered her head to steal a kiss from Mana.

Their tender moment, however, was abruptly interrupted by the unmistakable sound of a camera clicking. Turning to investigate, Evangeline and Mana discovered Principal Rosaline, hidden amidst the foliage, camera in hand.

Caught red-handed, Principal Rosaline merely smiled and addressed the couple. "Carry on with what you were doing. Pretend I'm not here, alright?"

Feeling flustered by the unexpected intrusion, Mana and Evangeline exchanged embarrassed glances. Principal Rosaline's lingering presence only compounded their discomfort, prolonging the awkwardness.

After what felt like an eternity, Principal Rosaline finally took the hint and departed, leaving the two girls alone once more. However, the tension between them remained palpable.

Relieved by the principal's departure, Mana turned to Evangeline with a reproachful look. "This is all your fault, you know," Mana muttered, her cheeks still flushed from embarrassment.

Surprised by Mana's accusation, Evangeline furrowed her brow in confusion. "My fault? What do you mean?" she asked, puzzled by Mana's assertion.

"It's because you kissed me first," Mana explained, her tone a mixture of frustration and amusement. "If you hadn't initiated it, we wouldn't have been caught in such a compromising situation."

"Okay, you're right. Can I have another kiss then?" Evangeline asked with a mischievous grin, her eyes twinkling with playful intent.

"No, by the way, you can let go now. I can walk," Mana replied, her cheeks flushing with embarrassment as she gently pushed Evangeline away. Her touch was firm, leaving a gentle warmth on Evangeline's skin.

Evangeline winced as Mana's playful punch landed on her head, creating a small bump. "You've got no right to do that. That's domestic violence," Evangeline protested, albeit with a teasing tone in her voice.

"Stop talking nonsense. We've got to get out of this forest," Mana retorted, her voice tinged with urgency as she glanced around at their surroundings.

"You're right, but first, we've got to find Seiko," Evangeline agreed, her gaze scanning the dense foliage ahead.

"How are we going to find him?" Mana inquired, her brow furrowing with concern.

"I'll tell you if you kiss me," Evangeline teased, a playful smile dancing on her lips.

Evangeline yelped in surprise as Mana pinched her hard. "Ow! It's okay, it's okay. You can stop pinching me," Evangeline said, her eyes watering slightly from the unexpected pain.

Mana released her grip, a smug smile playing on her lips. 

"You're still as violent as ever, Mana. Hold on tight. I'm going to teleport us to Seiko," Evangeline declared, determination gleaming in her eyes.

Nodding in agreement, Mana clung tightly to Evangeline as she prepared to teleport them both. However, before they vanished, Evangeline surprised Mana with a quick kiss, leaving her momentarily stunned before they disappeared together into the unknown.