Chapter 11 - A Risky Choice

Grateful for the shower, Kennedy stood with her arms at her sides as the heat sheeted across her body. Normally, she was not a person who experienced regret about her sexual adventures, but this town took slut-shaming to a whole new level. With the slippery soap in her hands, she worked her body clean. It was probably all in her head, but she was itchy as fuck.

They must have rolled in something poisonous. As the sting burned her lower legs, she rinsed her body. When pink water ran toward the drain, she looked at the cut on her ankle. Fine. Then she checked the other fucking one. Even though there was nothing to cut her in the shower, her skin gaped apart in two small places next to her tattoo. Hesitantly, she pressed one, trying to close the gap. When it widened, she hissed. The fucker hurt. What the hell? Drawing a towel around herself, she stepped out of the shower. Washcloth in hand, she headed to her purse. Her pocketbook had everything in it, including some good-sized band-aids. She pressed the washcloth to her ankle as she dug through her purse. She hummed to herself as she fished one out.

"This will do." She pressed the cuts closed and used the band-aid to hold them together. When he had said split, had he meant this?

Wearing fresh panties, wrinkled khakis, and a clean t-shirt, she was ready to go. Because a Ride-share was on its way, she could breathe. Sometimes, the difference between a bad idea and a tragic turn of events was how long it took to change direction and she wasn't one to linger. When things got hard, she knew how to bounce.

With her backpack slung over her shoulder; she locked the room behind her. Carelessly, she tossed the keys vaguely toward the cheeky bitch behind the counter. Without saying goodbye, she swung through the hotel door.

Seated on the bench outside of the entrance, gnarled hands resting on a sturdy cane, an older man waited for someone. He watched her with hungry eyes. "Need a ride, Miss?" As his eyes lingered on her, sliding over her body, she shuddered. What the fuck?

She snapped. "I'm fine. Thank you."

Across the street, Terry's truck sat empty outside the diner that was obsessed with tea. She could see him inside at a table, seated by the window, drinking coffee.

The old man struggled to stand, lifting his bent body from the bench. "I'm sure I could help you. If you just let me." As he stood, he pushed out his chest and tried to bring himself to his full height. "I might surprise you."

"I'm meeting someone." Jesus, what was with this town? Kennedy left before he made a fool of himself. Until the Rideshare arrived, she could sit with Terry. As soon as she opened the door, a bell chimed. Kennedy made her way across the black-and-white tiles.

Decorated like it was still the fifties, the place smelled like waffles, bacon and eggs. Wearing a tentative smile, she slid into the booth across from the big man. Terry's coffee cup looked small in his hands.

His lips quirked up in an almost smile.

As she pointed to the old guy, she frowned. "The men in your town are mannerless." Picking up a piece of his toast without asking, she bit into a corner. He had eaten most of his breakfast.

Disapproving, he blew his breath out, nostrils briefly flaring.

"Okay, not all of them. You have manners." She looked around the mostly empty diner. "You mind if I sit with you while I wait for my Rideshare?"

When he didn't complain, she relaxed back against the vinyl seat. The Vet lifted his coffee cup and then 2 fingers.

"You got it, Doc." A pony-tailed server called back, a friendly teenage version of the grump who had served Kennedy French fries her first day. Granddaughter maybe.