Chapter 27 - The Long-Ride Home

Staring up at the sky as the horse rocked, the men's conversation had become background noises until David said to Terry, "You're moving your arm better today."

Kennedy straightened in her saddle and brought her focus to the men ahead of her. There was space between Terry's left arm and his body. In response to David's words, the Doc pulled his arm close in, faking it, and Kennedy had to stop herself from smiling. He felt better.

The Vet gave a noncommittal grunt.

"Rolling over onto you must have helped."

Stiffness moved into Terry's body as he lifted his stubborn chin.

Not fooled for a moment, David clicked his tongue as his mount shied sideways, putting space between the two men. "Listen. I don't care. She is my priority until we are sure she isn't pregnant." He glanced back at her. "It's just, if you are feeling better, we could, maybe, pick up the pace. I don't want her held against her will. You don't have to lie to me."

Stoic, the Vet didn't acknowledge David's comments, keeping his horse at the same even pace.

David looked back at her. "I mean it. If you stay, I won't let them take you. No matter what."

Kennedy felt an icy shiver along her back. "Telling me you need to protect me from your family isn't comforting. There is no chance I'm pregnant. Terry said so. I'm going home."

"You really shouldn't. Things won't be the same."

"You don't know that." One thing she was certain of was that the Mega Mart wouldn't be any different from her last day there. She'd put on her apron, smoke some cheap weed with her friends after work, order a pizza, and watch a movie. Wash, rinse, repeat.

David looked defeated as he turned around and faced forward.

*

When the cabin appeared in the distance, Kennedy almost cried. Her entire body was sore and complaining. The sky was turning pink, and she'd feared that they would have to camp again. Terry's Mom could say anything she wanted, as long as Kennedy could have a bath. One more sleep and she could escape this crazy place.

Scrubbed clean, Kennedy came out of the bathroom in an ill-fitting sack of a dress. Terry had found it in his mother's closet. Braless and commando, she felt damn close to naked. David was in the kitchen, hunched over a piece of leftover blueberry pie. All of them had been relieved when they found the place empty.

"Your laundry will be done soon," David said as he pushed a steaming cup of coco toward her. What she wanted was his pie. She set her towel down on the counter and claimed the mug with both hands. Her wet, tangled hair dampened the cotton of her dress so that it clung to her back. The sweetness was perfect and comforting. He looked from his plate to her and pushed the remaining pie in her direction.

Tall and lanky, he came around the counter toward her. "Sit on the stool."

Eyeing him, she did as he asked, and felt the long ride's effect on her lower half.

"Are you sore?"

She nodded as she reached for the fork and the remaining pie.

"That happens when new riders are on the trail too long. You will get used to it."

"I will not. I don't plan on getting on another horse, ever."

He lifted the towel from her shoulders and began to dry her hair. The gentleness and comfort in his gesture helped her relax. His touch felt good. She'd been a little kid since someone tended to her this way.

"Terry said there is a bus leaving at ten. I told him you would want to sleep at least one night."

"I'll take the ten."

"But Kennedy, your body needs rest and more food."

"What I need is to get back home, where life makes sense. It might be boring, but right now, boring sounds pretty good. Where is the Vet?"

"He is seeing to the animals." David drew a set of keys out of his pocket and jangled them. "Terry gave me his truck keys in case you wanted to go into town."

"He isn't going to say goodbye?"

"No, he wants you to stay. What can I say to change your mind?"

"Absolutely nothing. When can we go to the bus station?"

He gave a deep, unhappy sigh as he fanned her hair across her shoulders. "When your hair is dry and your laundry is done."

"So, I will make the 10 o'clock bus?"

"If you want to."