Chapter 52 - The Bones

The wildflowers David had brought her looked jaunty in the dented vase she'd found in the refuse pile. Now that the bed was made, and the boxes and supplies had been stored elsewhere, the room didn't look half bad. It still smelled like a barn, but that part couldn't be helped, not if she was going to be comfortable in both bear and human form. Kennedy, hands on her hips, admired her progress. Trying to make the space homey had been a pleasant distraction. She'd used the task as an excuse to avoid her Mother and Nan when they bickered. Which was most mornings. At this point, the fights were more out of habit than any real animosity.

Because both women were growing bored and restless, arguing was a way to pass the time. There had been discussions about when they should go home, but an exact time hadn't been decided. Wiping her damp forehead with the tail of her shirt, Kennedy pondered going inside and getting some iced tea. As lunchtime approached, the barn became unpleasantly warm. She was almost done with what she wanted to accomplish today. Once the twinkle lights were up, she'd go in. She'd pulled some ancient Christmas lights out of a holiday box she'd found that had been taped up for years.

For the moment, they had things figured out. Each night, one man watched over her and another kept her warm. They'd made a schedule, and it was held to the front of the refrigerator with an apple magnet. If it wasn't for the morning sickness, she wouldn't have anything to complain about. Because he had taken most of the night shifts during the week, David was asleep in the upstairs bedroom in the cabin. He'd made a palate for himself from a few sleeping bags and a comforter. So far, having three men dote on her wasn't so bad. Tonight Jeremiah was making dinner, and Terry had kitchen clean-up and cuddle duty. Over the music in her headphones, she heard a horse whinny and spun toward the sound.

Lighting a cigarette, Terry's mother stood in the open space between the barn doors. "I should have guessed you'd be in here." A saddled bay mare nosed the woman's shoulder from behind. The stink of burning tobacco did not mix well with the lavender scented candle Kennedy had burned. "The mountain folk didn't kill you or burn down the cabin, so that is something. I waited a few days, just to be sure." When the horse dipped its head over her shoulder, the old woman patted its solid neck. "You don't look pregnant."

Drawing herself taller, Kennedy said, "I'm not very far along. How am I supposed to look?"

"Like a bear." Toying with the reins in her hands, she narrowed her lake-ice eyes. "If you were smarter, or educated at all, you'd know that. Spending your pregnancy in your bear shape is the safest option when you don't take suppression medication."

"And what's safest for the baby?"

"Definitely not having you for a mother."

Kennedy crossed her arms defensively. "And yet, that is what they have."

Lit cigarette balanced between her fingers, she pointed toward the metal bars. "Do you know who was the last woman to confine herself in that cage?"

"I do not. I'm assuming it was you?"

"It was. You are mouthy, for someone squatting on my property."

"My understanding is that you sold this place to Terry seven years ago. He sends you payments every month. Do you want me to leave? I could go into town and stay in his apartment." She couldn't resist a sneer. "I'm sure he'd be perfectly safe if I did that."

The old woman took an aggressive step toward her. "If you hurt my son, I'll slit your throat myself. They won't find none of you." His mother's right hand tightened into a fist. "Did neither of those useless women in the house teach you to respect your elders?"

A bead of sweat slid down Kennedy's neck and snaked toward her cleavage. Bright sparkles lit up along her ankles. "I don't think the baby likes you." Kennedy slid her hand down her still-flat belly as she stepped backward and closed the door. Holding the older woman's gaze, she twisted the key to lock herself in. "Just in case."

Surprise flickered across the woman's face. "It's too early. You are awake. How can you feel her?"

"Him," Kennedy answered, just to be contrary. "The little firecracker is lighting up the outside of my legs. It feels like being brushed with a sparkler."

The horse whinnied, shook its mane, and took a step sideways. As the woman paused to take a pull from her cigarette, she reached up and held her thick braid. "I suppose I should tell you that I'm glad you decided to carry my grandchild, even if you are insane."

"Is that what you came here to do?"

"No. I have something to dig up." She dropped her cigarette onto the dirt floor and used the toe of her boot to crush it. "But that's nothing that concerns you." With a click of her tongue, she backed her horse up.

The sparkles slid higher on her legs, becoming more insistent. Shit. Kennedy stepped her feet out of her tennis shoes and unfastened her jeans.

Unable to follow her, she called out, "What are you digging up?"

"Terry's father."