Chapter 12 - No Turning Back

"I get the feeling that your Mom wasn't exactly a member of the PTA."

Lashing supplies to the back of the four-wheeler, Terry grudgingly gave her a nod and almost smiled. She liked it when he smiled, because it made him more handsome. The man had a strong broad face, a well-kept beard, and an expressive mouth. Every time she looked at him, her body gave a curious shiver. Something was up with her libido. It was like she was in overdrive. This town had set free her inner freak, and she couldn't stop looking at his powerful forearms as he worked. It was not like she didn't get some last night and here she was today, eyeballing the local veterinarian. Someone she had just met.

After Terry slung a leg over the seat and settled himself on the four-wheeler, he patted the space behind him. Once she sat down, she would be accepting the mad delusions of this town, and by her own choice, heading into the woods with a stranger to visit what might be a cult. No one knew where she was but Sandy, and what were the odds her stoner friend would remember the name of the lake if she went missing? Kennedy placed her hand on the phone in her pocket. Leaving a specific message would be wise, but last night, she'd had no signal on the mountain. Everyone had said he was a veterinarian. Wouldn't he have to be at work this morning? "What about your appointments and your office?" Thumbs dancing, she sent a quick text to Sandy with what details she could and pressed send.

When she looked up from her phone, he carefully pronounced. "Vacation." He leveled his gaze at her and pointed toward the cabin.

"You took time off to come hang out with your Mom in the woods?"

Adding a sigh, he nodded. There wasn't much she could say to that. Her own adoptive mother was a bit of a challenge. Kennedy had lied to her mother and told her she was going to the beach, instead of admitting that she was going on a quest for her own history. As a small child, she'd quickly learned that her mother wasn't very flexible and didn't tolerate disagreement or change well. Her dad had been the fun parent, and his loss had made the whole family become bleak. Losing him had drained the color from their lives. If he was here, he'd tell her it was an adventure.

Resting a hand on the Vet's broad shoulder, she settled onto the four-wheeler behind him. Her thighs cradled his warm hips. All of him radiated heat. When he started up the four-wheeler, its engine purred with a steady vibration that she felt through her seat. Oh hell. When she wrapped her arms around him, he was solid and muscular. Nice. The four-wheeler jumped forward with a start and she gripped him tightly, her chest pressing flat to his back.

The pancakes within her began to complain as the jerking motion and swaying trees affected her. Closing her eyes, because there was no horizon to focus on, she focused on the vibration. This was not the best adventure for a hungover morning. Pressing her face into Terry's back, she tilted her hips until she felt the vibration more, using it as a pleasant distraction. She was exhausted and fell into and out of a half-sleep. In her dreams, she swam in a river and rolled in a field of high grass. The sky, a blue that could only be seen in dreams, danced with light. The wind became the divine whispering about the weather. Rain tomorrow. Terry held her wrists where her arms came around him, keeping her steady. That was nice.

Fading in and out of dreams helped her ignore the jerks and bumps as they made tracks through the woods. The trail smoothed out when they came to a narrow dirt road. As he revved the engine higher, picking up their speed, the machine practically purred between her thighs. She tightened her legs against his own. That was more than nice. If she shifted a little, she might be able to come.

Oh hell yeah. Pleasure tingled through her body, and she groaned into his back. When she rocked her hips into the seat, her calves stung, but it was worth it. Close, she dug her hands into his shirt and gripped the fabric hard as she came. She kept her face pressed into his back between his shoulder blades, breathing in the delicious male scent of him. Kennedy shuddered with pleasure.