Chapter 18 - A Homecoming

Grateful for the slower pace that came with following horses, Kennedy rested against the Vet's back. What had once seemed, at best, a deer path, widened into a passable road. The woods gave way to wide swaths of cultured growth and cleared sections of farmland. Whatever had grown this winter in these fields had been cut and harvested. There was a lingering smell of something sticky-sweet like weed, but she didn't know if that was part of the landscape or an aroma clinging to their guides.

Since the beginning of their trip, Kennedy's sense of smell had heightened. The musky scent of weed perfumed the air and kept getting stronger. Driving the four-wheeler at a slow pace, Terry guided them past the thinning ruts in the poorly maintained road. She wanted to ask Terry about the smell, but the grown lady on the horse kept nattering on about people and animals that the Vet seemed to know. She talked like a snow melt creek. There was no end to it. Kennedy gave up the idea of interrupting and placed her cheek against Terry's back.

The sight of the first small shack surprised her. Shiny new solar panels adorned the roof of a structure that looked like it was one good wind away from blowing down. A small child played with a bucket on the porch wearing a torn shirt and a diaper. His hair spread out in every direction from his head, wild as a troll doll's and flaxen blond. He ignored their passing.

Two shacks and a dozen fields later, they came to a halt. Snow's horse dipped his head and mouthed the grass, nibbling the verdant bits of green. The edge of winter into spring was closer up here than it had been in the valley, leaving the air crisp. A cold lifted from the granite in the earth and wrapped around her. Maybe Terry's mother had been right. Why did these people live up here? Her body complained about the sudden stillness, instincts telling her to just keep going past this place. A shudder moved up through her spine and she settled a hand on the Vet's hip. Where the hell were they?

Snow's mother, Whist, swung down effortlessly from her horse. She talked to her animal with the same low guttural language that she had heard Terry use with his mother. The horse dipped his head against her shoulder and she scratched his forehead and up between his ears. As she gathered the reins for both horses, Snow said, "I'll lead them to the barn, Ma. Are you going to take Terry to the processing center to see Geeg Bo?"

"I might. You go grab a cousin who is being useless and y'all finish riding the perimeter. The smoke we saw on the rise was probably these two, but you never know who might be wandering around with blood in the air. It's best that strangers from town don't find their way to us."

With a nod, the girl said, "Yes, Mam. I will see to it." Her daughter gave the Vet a shy smile and Kennedy recognized with a start that the girl had a bit of a crush on him.

Snow said, "Doc Terry, will you be staying for dinner?"

He nodded, oblivious to the girl's lingering looks and hesitation. As Terry eased himself to standing, the mother, Whist, stepped to the four-wheeler packs. Kennedy stayed right where she was.

As Whist passed her, the older woman offered Kennedy a tight smile. "We like our privacy city girl. I expect you to keep quiet about anything you see today." Whist turned her body toward Terry as if she was dismissing her. "Did you bring me some of that good dried fish your mother preserves?" With quick deft fingers, the woman's hands made fast work of his knots as they worked together to untie the limited supplies from the back of the four-wheeler. Terry flashed a grin and looked over at Kennedy with raised brows.

Kennedy sighed and admitted. "I ate it." Wincing, she slung a leg over and stood on legs full of pinpricks.

Whist pointed to the long scratches along the four-wheeler. "That your work as well?"

"I think, maybe, I did that."

"I would have thought you would have more control at your age. How many cycles have you had?" Whist shook her head.

Terry tapped Whist's shoulder and held up one finger.

Brows arched, the woman turned to look at Kennedy more carefully. "First cycle at her age?" Kennedy cared little for the staring as she used her fists to pound some blood and feeling back into her thighs. Whist asked. "How old are you?"

"24."

Whist drew her head back, startled. "Well, you are the oldest I've heard of. No wonder your stink is so strong. The first time can be a doozy. At your age, I'm surprised you made it all the way back into your skin."

Kennedy wasn't sure how to answer, but she definitely felt better after their star bear trip. Because her ankles had healed, she couldn't complain about the strength of the Vet's hallucinogen. "The drugs were potent. The hallucinations seemed real."

Terry laughed and shoved a water jug into Kennedy's arms and gestured for her to drink. Kennedy lifted the half-empty vessel and took a sip, trying to ignore the way they were talking about her. Wiping the back of her mouth with her hand, she grumbled, "I don't know why you are laughing. You could have told me we were going to trip our balls off." She stuck her leg out, flashing a bit of her ankle at him. "And you were right. Whatever that shit was, it worked."

The woman looked at her like she had bats in her hair. Whist asked Terry, "Where did you find this one?"

After he explained in their gravely language, Whist gave a long whistle and spit. "Your generation doesn't have much in the way of survival instincts." She gestured in Kennedy's direction. "Safer to use a bullet." Whist slapped Kennedy on the back and added, "Well, I hope the rut was good for you. It's been a long time since I had two riders." When Kennedy felt her mouth drop open, she tried to hide her surprise by turning to adjust her hold on the water jug.

Whist chuckled. "Ain't no shame in it when you are in season. Nobody expects any different. Sometimes you just have to feel fully alive or a regular life isn't much worth living. I'm sure you will get takers while you are here if you want riders."

As if she had materialized him by speaking, a young man came around the corner, head lifted as if he was smelling the breeze. He staggered to a stop north of them on the road.

"Speaking of. David, my stupid little cousin, help me carry these, would you?" Stepping toward Whist, the young man's gaze lingered on Kennedy as his nostrils flared. Lanky and tall, his sandy hair framed his face as he offered Kennedy a hopeful smile. Whist's lips quirked. "I see you've noticed that we've got company." She reached up and gave his cheek a light slap to get his focus. "Mind your manners. They are company."

"But..."

"No buts, we are taking her to see Ba. You want me to tell your folks that you were acting a fool in front of a stranger like a green stick?"

"No, Mam."

Shoulders complaining, Kennedy settled the leather strap attached to the two water jugs over her shoulder and mumbled under her breath, "Now would be a convenient time to be a bear." Leaving the four-wheeler where it was, they followed Whist on foot away from the dirt road.