Chapter 44 - A Handful of Wild Flowers

Kennedy put a protective hand upon her belly.

The lady Doctor did not mince words. "If you want to go back to your outside life, among the sheep, drugs are your only option. If you choose to stay here and be watched over by those who gave you sweet grass rings..."

"Like, Terry."

"Yes, like Terry. You have some options, but they will all have challenges. If you stay locally for the duration of your pregnancy, you will have resources here to keep yourself and others safe. When I called Terry this morning to confirm that your mother was who she said she was, he told me that he was hoping you would choose to stay and continue this pregnancy. I think he is well intended, but one father is not enough when there is a risk of uncontrolled change."

The light was blinding as she checked Kennedy's eyes. With spots in her vision, she listened. "You need to be practical. Whether you go or stay, even if you choose to go back on suppression, I would recommend coming here when you are in your final month... should you make it that far. A sheep physician is going to be unprepared for the possible ways you might present. Your body will not respond to human medications predictably. You and the baby might survive with a midwife from the people if you have no desire to return here, but they will need to be experienced. Your blood work is going to the city today and I should have the results in a few days. I don't expect any surprises. We process our pregnancy tests in-house, and you are definitely pregnant. Do you know what direction you want to go?"

"I need to talk to my Mom and my Nana." Kennedy smoothed the thin fabric over her thighs, "And Terry."

The Doc nodded. "The rest of this is pretty standard." Kennedy's brain spun. The stirrups rattled as the doc pulled them free of the medical table. She lay back slowly, feeling dizzy. The light above her was bright as the sun.

*

Nana stirred the soup she was making in the Cabin's kitchen. Kennedy had shared with them everything the Doc had said. The car ride had been silent on the way back to the cabin. Her Mom was playing solitaire at the kitchen table while they waited for Terry to join them for lunch. Even the cats were strangely quiet. No one was arguing with anyone. Just as Kennedy was about to call Terry, she got a text.

"There is an emergency at Baker's farm. I promise we will talk tonight. Whatever you decide, I will support you." - Terry.

*

After lunch, Nana found a stash of old movies in the pantry and they all decided a distraction was a good idea. They'd watched Diamonds Are a Girl's Best Friend first and argued for half an hour about what would be second. The three women had almost agreed on their next movie when Kennedy heard someone on the porch. When the bell rang, Nana looked at her Mom and shrugged.

"Did one of you order pizza?" Neither had. Kennedy put the next CD in the player before she headed to the door. At the second ring, Kennedy swept aside the little curtain and looked out. David was on the porch, holding a handful of pretty leaves and wildflowers. He pulled off his cap when he saw her. Just what she needed, another bear.

She opened the door but didn't let David step in. "Does Terry know you are here?" When he pushed the leaves out to her, tied with their tatty ribbon, she accepted them, curious about why he was there.

"He emailed me." David gave a little bow. "I hope you don't mind that I came to visit. Whist, let me borrow her car to drive down."

Nosey as ever, Nana walked out of the living room into the kitchen with an empty popcorn bowl. "Who is that? Are we getting an introduction?"

From her spot on the couch, Kennedy's mother looked at them and rolled her eyes. "Another baby daddy."

Nana dropped the plastic bowl into the sink in surprise. "What?"

Kennedy turned from David, leaving room for him to step inside. Mr. Pibble was napping on her mother's lap, so she wasn't worried about any half-hearted escape attempts. She chose an empty mason jar from the shelf to hold the leaves. "It's complicated, Nan." With a sigh, she turned on the water in the sink. The doctor had made it clear that she needed more than one father to watch over her if she and the baby were to stay safe. "Come in, David."

Grinning, he turned to the two older women, young and sweet. "Is this your family?"

"Pretty much all of it." Kennedy pointed to where everyone's shoes were lined up by the door. "Boots off. We are about to watch a movie. You might as well join us." Arranging the beautiful leaves and cut seed pods in the blue ball jar, she had to admit it was a pretty gift. The stems had been tied together with a bit of frayed blue ribbon. She retied the bow around the jar.

Bold as brass, he sat himself down on the couch between the two older ladies and woke Mr. Pibble, who hopped up onto his lap.

Her mother gave him side-eye. "Will there be more?"

"I don't think so," Kennedy answered before he could. The thought of the bearded mechanic made her add, "Maybe one more." She was glad that she hadn't added his cousin to her rangy list. Jeremiah, surely, didn't know yet. Plus, he had never braided her a promise ring. "I just have two sweet grass rings in my wallet."

David's grin widened. "You kept mine?" He looked happy.

Nana patted his arm. "Would you like some tea?"

"Yes, Mam, I would."

Her Mother was less friendly. She folded her arms and informed David, "You should know she isn't sure if she is keeping this baby or not." His big, gentle eyes looked toward Kennedy.