Chapter 51 - The Devil's Flower

Kennedy froze at the bottom of the porch steps. "What am I going to say to them?" Ahead of her, David hesitated by the cabin's front door. She had Terry's attention, too.

David shrugged. "That you slept well in your safe room?"

Kennedy felt a rush of fondness. "It was comfortable. Thank you for all the hard work you did." Her feet refused to step forward. "Won't they know what we were up to last night? And how do I explain, Red?"

Terry turned her toward him and cupped her face in his calloused hands. As he brushed his thumb across her cheek, he bent down and kissed her forehead.

"My mom is going to call me a harlot to my face, not just behind my back, like normal."

The big man's shoulders lifted in a small shrug, as if her mother's opinion was inconsequential.

Confusion pulled David's brows together. "But you only have three fathers. That's not too many."

Adding his nod of agreement, Terry slid his hands to her shoulders and then down her arms until his fingers twined with hers. He gave her a gentle squeeze and then drew her up the stairs.

*

Kennedy's Mom was cooking eggs in the kitchen, something she hadn't seen her do since the accident. Her Mom couldn't stand for more than a few minutes.

David perked up. "Do I smell bacon?"

"You do."

David leaned across the counter and eyeballed the laden plate. "What do I have to do to get some?"

Her mom narrowed her gaze and considered him. "I hope you know that you stink of whatever went on last night. Like a whore at dawn. A male one." She pushed a stack of plates in his direction. "Wash your hands before you set the table. Then you can eat."

The rich aroma of a heart attack inducing southern breakfast made Kennedy's mouth water. Saturday mornings had been like this when she was small. Potato hash, roasted in a cast-iron skillet. Sunny-side eggs that bubbled in bacon fat with the edges crisping.

Kennedy slid onto a stool at the kitchen bar. "Please tell me there are cheese grits in that pot." Her mother did not look at her. Terry came to stand behind Kennedy and placed his meaty hands on her shoulders. Comforted, she rested the back of her head against him.

Sourly, her mother said, "I suppose you are hungry?"

Kennedy nodded. "I am. Do you have enough?"

Her mother snorted. "Have I ever made too little breakfast?"

"Never."

As she placed the perfectly done eggs next to the crisp bacon, her mother grumbled. "Where is the gentle one with the scarred hands?"

David stole a piece of bacon from the serving plate with his freshly cleaned fingers. "Jeremiah?"

"Yes." Her mother threatened David with the spatula, but he just smiled at her.

Evading her half-hearted attempt at violence, David answered, "He had to head into town for work. Same with Red."

Pulling a plate from the clean pile, she started serving the food. "Is that the name of the grumpy fool who knocked on the door at dawn and woke the whole house up?" She smacked a full plate down in front of Kennedy. "I thought you said you only had three riders."

Just the sight of the food made Kennedy's stomach growl with hunger. "He said Nana was awake this morning and already had a pot on."

"She was, and he drained the whole thing into his thermos. The man made me nervous, I tell you. A stranger coming up on the porch like they own the place and demanding coffee while it's still dark isn't normal." She smacked a second laden plate down on the counter next to Kennedy in front of Terry. "Quit trying to look threatening, young man."

When Terry spoke the low grumbly language to her mother, David let loose a bark of surprised laughter.

"I don't speak that." Her mother filled a third plate and handed it directly to David.

Accepting it, David said, "Thank you. It looks delicious." He claimed a fork and a napkin.

"That one's not for you. It's for Kendie's grandmother. Put it on the table."

As he placed the plate on the table, David said, "The Doc wants to know if you poisoned the food."

"Not today. Maybe tomorrow."

Seated at the bar next to Kennedy, Terry used his fork to gather eggs and potatoes. Kennedy's mouth was full and her eyes were closed in bliss.

In slippers and a fluffy robe, Nan took in the gathered guests. "The shower pressure here is lovely." As if it was any other morning, she walked into the kitchen and picked up an empty plate.

Her Mom waved her off. "Yours is already on the table. The next plate is for that one."

"David." He reminded her.

"I know your name. I'm just not ready to use it." She pushed a full plate in his direction and he took it.

"Thank you Mom, it smells wonderful."

"I am not your mother."

Nan chuckled as she opened her napkin.

The strange truce between the two women disoriented Kennedy. If it had been any other time in her life, she would have bet that Nan would be the one who should fear being poisoned by her mother. Plate full, her mom sat herself next to David, who was eating as if his belly had been empty for a week.

Nan eyed her daughter-in-law. "You seem spry this morning."

Her Mother pointed her knife at Nan. "Don't you jinx this."

Nana held up both her hands. "Heaven forbid."

Potatoes and eggs waited on the counter for anyone who needed seconds. They all ate their fill. When her mother finished eating, she abandoned the table, leaving her plate for someone else to rinse in the sink. Her limp pronounced, she made her way to the living room and sank into her favorite recliner and began calling cats.

"Has your mom always been this friendly?" David asked, wiping his mouth with a napkin.

Kennedy shrugged. "Actually, I think she likes you."

David flashed her a wide grin. "I have that effect on people." He winked at her. "Or it's the medicine."

"You mean weed?" Kennedy grinned over at her mother, who was pretending to read a book. "The devil's flower."

"Yup."

Terry chuckled next to her and bumped her thigh with his own.