chapter one

SEVEN YEARS AGO

Miura watched as Kuina and Zoro fought. It had became a routine for pretty much every single class, the two fighting for the top spot. Kuina would always win. Zoro was brilliant, but he was no match for her.

After every class, Zoro and Miura would walk home together, considering the short distance between their houses, and today was no different.

After Kuina knocked Zoro on his ass as usual, he stormed away, not there for the rest of the class. Kuina followed. A few more fights went on, before Miura finally went to meet with Zoro.

As Miura approached him, Zoro seemed deep in thought.

"Hey," she said, jogging up to him, "What's up?"

"I'm fighting Kuina tomorrow," he said.

"You're fighting Kuina everyday."

"With real blades."

Miura's smile dropped. "What? Zoro, that's dangerous."

"You think I don't know that? These damn bamboo swords are the reason I keep losing. I'm the best fighter here other than Kuina, yet she manages to make me look weak! Not anymore."

He began to walk in the direction of their houses, quickly followed by Miura.

"And you're sure that fighting with real, dangerous swords is the way to fix that? Can't you just train to be better?"

"I have! That's all I do, Miura, it's no use unless I beat her."

"Not everything is about being the best."

"You're right, not everything, but this is. Come to my house, watch me practice. You can give me pointers."

"Me give you pointers? You're better than me."

"You're not far behind me."

"Fine, but I can't be home too late, my grandma is over for dinner tonight. She eats early, because she sleeps early, because she's old."

Zoro smiled slightly at Miura's rambling. She was always adding details into the conversation that didn't need to be added, but that's what made Zoro like her. She didn't take herself too seriously, she just let herself talk, not caring what kind of nonsense came out of her mouth.

 She didn't take herself too seriously, she just let herself talk, not caring what kind of nonsense came out of her mouth

Miura sat in Zoro's garden, watching him practice. He had two swords, and so did she, but she wasn't using them. He didn't seem to be needing any help, so Miura was messing around with her swords to pass the time.

She grabbed both of them by the handles, pressing them together. She held the two swords together with one hand, raising them into the air. Zoro stopped his training, looking at his best friend with a confused expression.

"What on earth are you doing?" He asked.

Miura didn't answer him, walking into his living room and rummaging through the drawers until she found what she was looking for: duct tape.

She put the two handles of the swords together, taping them until it seemed secure enough, then running back out to Zoro with her new creation.

"What-"

"You ever seen one of these?" Miura asked excitedly.

"I mean, not in person, but I don't think you're the first to think of a double-sided katana."

"Oh. Still, it's cool, right?"

Miura spun it round carelessly.

"You're gonna hurt yourself."

"Oh, don't be such a wuss, Zoro! This is so cool. I might not be the first person to think of it, but I'm gonna be the one to make it cool. I'll show sensei, and-"

"I don't think sensei'll let you use that thing. Like I said, you'll end up hurting yourself."

Miura did a few standard moves with the katana, along with making a few up herself.

"I'm a natural at this! I can slice two heads off at once."

"Whose heads?" Zoro asked, concerned.

"Pirates, duh."

"You wanna be a bounty hunter?"

"I mean, I have the swordsmanship, and they get, like, tons of money if they catch the right people. You heard of Arlong?"

"Who hasn't?"

"I'm gonna catch him, and turn in his head for a ton of berry."

"Little morbid, Miura."

"Hey, money's money. Anyway, get back to training, you don't wanna he shown up by Kuina, do you?"

"She'll probably show me up anyway."

"Maybe you oughta take those two swords and make one of these guys."

Miura began to jokingly spin the double-sided sword around, Zoro deadpanning. She suddenly felt a scrape across her eyebrow.

"Ow!" She yelled out, "Shit!"

She dropped the swords on the floor, causing Zoro to run over.

"Miura! I told you you'd get hurt! Are you okay?"

"I just gave myself an eyebrow slit, and cut like half of my face. I'm not okay."

"Move your hand." Miura moved her hand away from her face, revealing a huge, bleeding gash down the side.

"Does it look like it'll scar?"

Zoro ran his hand over the wound, causing Miura to wince, looking up at him through the tears in his eyes.

"You're allowed to cry, you know," Zoro said, "This looks painful."

"I don't cry," Miura said, "I'm stone cold."

"Please, you're way too upbeat to be stone cold."
The two laughed, causing Miura to whine slightly from the pain, a few tears falling from her eyes now. "Come on, we'll get you to someone who can give you stitches."

"I hope I don't get a scar. This'll be a really embarrassing story."

Zoro helped Miura to her feet, an arm around her shoulders as the two walked out of the house.

"Well, by the time people start asking, you'll be super trained with your double-sided katana. It'll show your growth."

Miura smiled. She was gonna be great with that sword.