chapter nine

"We're taking in water, what did you two do?" Nami asked Zoro and Blade, walking out of the cabin.

"We didn't do anything," Zoro said.

"The way you're clanging those swords around all the time, one of you must've broken something."

"If you're such a good thief, maybe you should've stolen a better boat."

"Guy, guys, guys," Luffy said, "Okay, crew meeting."

"Not a crew," Nami, Zoro and Blade said in sync.

"We're gonna need a better ship if we want to make it to the grand line. A real pirate ship. Worthy of the Straw Hat Crew."

"Wait," Nami said, "Straw Hat Crew? Really?"

"Yeah. I thought it had a nice ring to it."

"'Demon' has a nice ring to it," Zoro said, "Headgear? Not scary."

"Who says pirates have to be scary? The point is we need a new ship. So where do we get one?"

"Our closest bet is the Gecko Islands," Nami said, "We can probably make it there before our ship sinks. Ditch this one and get a better one."

"Good," Zoro said, "With a working toilet."

"Great job, navigator," Luffy said.

Nami looked down at the jolly roger he'd made. "You're still not hanging that on my ship."

Everyone was about to get off the boat, when Blade felt a strong grip on her shoulder

Everyone was about to get off the boat, when Blade felt a strong grip on her shoulder. She turned around to see Zoro.

"Your mask," he said, "People are gonna know. Five minutes in this village you're a dead woman."

"Right." Blade duh through her bag and pulled out a mask the same shape as hers, but plain white. She turned around so no one could see her, swapped the masks and put the gold one in her bag. "When I don't wanna be recognised, I change my mask and tell people I'm a performer. Mimi."

"Aoi, honey, it's time to go!" Miura's mom called. Miura and Zoro had been spending some time playing with the village kids. Miura did it a lot, but this was Zoro's first time.

"Aw, okay, mom! I'll see you guys soon, okay?" Miura said.

"Bye, Mimi!" One of the kids yelled. Miura and Zoro walked away towards their homes.

"Mimi?" Zoro laughed.

"It's what they call me. I think it's sweet."

"Totally. Maybe I'll start calling you Mimi."

"Don't you dare."

"Mimi," Zoro said.

"Yeah, what about it?"

"Nothing. Just reminds me of an old friend."

"Same. I guess we have more in common than we thought."

Everyone got off the boat, Nami and Blade splitting off from the two boys. They searched around the village, noticing a huge ship yard.

"Holy fuck. We could have any of these," Blade said.

"But we want a small one, easy to steal."

"Right. Well, let's go tell the others."

Nami and Blade walking back to Zoro and Luffy, who were stood in from of a board of wanted posters.

"Hey! You got us a ship?" Luffy asked.

"Working on it," Nami said, "Did you push the sloop out to sea like I told you?"

"Yeah. No Marines are gonna be following us here."

"Well we're not gonna be here very long. Turns out Syrup Village is known for their ship building. Lots of options."

"Well, what are we waiting for, then?"

Luffy walked way, followed by the other three.

Luffy had found a ship he liked, and the cleaner of said ship, Usopp had offered to take them to his best friend, the owner of the shipyard, to strike up a deal

Luffy had found a ship he liked, and the cleaner of said ship, Usopp had offered to take them to his best friend, the owner of the shipyard, to strike up a deal. Nami, Zoro and Blade agreed to entertain the idea, but still planned on just stealing a less flashy ship. They walked up to the owners house, it was huge.

"I've never seen a house this big before," Luffy said.

"Impressive right?" Usopp asked, "Kaya's given me an open invitation to drop by any time I want."

"Wow. All of this just for one person?"

"Well, she lives here with her butler and a few other staff."

They walked around the house.

"So, if you have an invitation, why are we going in the back way?" Luffy asked.

"I never use the front entrance. This is more of a VIP entrance reserved for special guests."

"This guy's full of shit," Zoro said.

"Yeah," Nami agreed, "But as long as he gets us inside the house, who cares?"

They walked up to the back entrance, being stopped by some staff members. They tried to get Usopp to leave, when Kaya came out.

"Usopp! What a wonderful surprise," she said. She walked out, linking arms with her butler.

"Kaya! Happy Birthday."

"You remembered."

"Of course I did."

The butler cleared his throat. "Usopp. We've had this discussion. You mustn't shoe up unannounced."

"Nonsense, Klahadore. Have you come to tell me another story? I do love hearing about your adventures."

"I'll do you one better. I brought some of my crew."

"It's so nice to meet you. You all must stay for dinner."

"Miss Kaya," Klahadore said, "It is a bit last minute. I'm afraid the kitchen hasn't prepared for any extra guests."

"Please, Klahadore. It's my birthday. Can't be too much trouble, can it?"

"Of course, Miss Kaya. Anything for you."

"Alright!" Luffy said, "When do we eat?"

"You don't. Not dressed like that. Sham, kidney show Usopp and his friends to the guest suites. You will bathe and change before dinner."

"A bath does sound nice," Nami said.

Blade placed her hands on her mask. "Dinner doesn't."