chapter twenty-three

The next morning, they headed straight to the village, Miura and Zoro hand in hand. When they arrived to see the destruction, Zoro felt a harsh squeeze on his hand. It reminded Miura too much of Solitude Island. The difference was, they had the berry and resources to repair it, she wasn't sure Coco Village did.

"Arlong did this," Sanji said, "Why?"

"To punish the villagers," Nami answered tearfully, "And to punish me."

There were still a few small fires, which Usopp put out as the villagers approached the crew. Miura felt herself sigh out of relief as there appeared to be just as many villagers as yesterday.

"What's going on?" Nami asked.

"Nojiko told us about your sacrifice," Genzo said, "We didn't know. Can you ever forgive us?"

"There's nothing to forgive. Coco Village is my home."

"Then it's our turn to sacrifice. We're done living in fear. We're gonna march on Arlong Park. If those fishmen want a fight-"

"That's not a fight, that's a massacre. You will all be killed."

"If there's no hope for us to buy our freedom, then I say we die trying to fight for it!"

The villagers cheered, but Nami shut them up. "No, everyone, please! No, I won't let you do that. This is my fight."

"No," Luffy said, "This is our fight. Right guys?"

"Finally, I get to cut something," Zoro said.

"But how are we gonna beat Arlong?" Usopp asked, "We saw what he did at Baratie."

"Every creature has a weakness."

"Even bulletproof ones?"

"I'll know it when I see it," Luffy said, "And when I do, I won't hesitate."

Everyone walked away and made a plan. They'd distract them with Usopp's smoke bombs, then attack them. Zoro pulled Miura to the side.

"What's up?" She asked.

"I need you to promise me something," Zoro said.

She was suspicious. "Go on..."

"Don't get in your own head."

"What?"

"I know how much this reminds you of... you know, but please push that out of your mind."

"Why?"

"You can't fight when you're upset, Miura."

She sighed. That was actually true. She didn't do it often, but when she let her emotions get in the way, her fighting tended to get sloppy. Usually it was okay, she'd still win, but she couldn't let that happen when fighting fishmen, they were way too strong.

"I promise."

Zoro nodded. "Thank you." He pulled Miura towards him and kissed her on the forehead before walking back to the group. She followed quickly after.

"We ready?" Luffy asked. Everyone nodded.

They marched into Arlong Park as the smoke cleared

They marched into Arlong Park as the smoke cleared. The fishmen didn't even seem scared, just looking at them like they were stupid. Miura pulled out both of her swords, pressing the buttons for the second blades to come out. One fishman looked at her in awe.

"Blade," he whispered to his crewmate. She was confused for a minute before remembering not everyone had saw her face yet. She didn't doubt that, soon enough, a new wanted poster would be coming out with her real face and name plastered on it.

"Where's Arlong?" Luffy asked.

"He's probably in the map room," Nami said.

"Then that's where we're going."

Luffy and Nami headed into the building as the fishmen charged at the other four. They began to fight, and all of Miura's worries about fishmen being 'too strong' suddenly dissipated. They weren't as difficult to fight as she thought they'd be.

"Where the hell is Usopp?" Miura heard Sanji yell.

"He got changed out!" She yelled back as she sliced the neck of one of the fishmen, "Don't worry, he'll come back with a story to tell!"

She smiled as four fishmen came at her as once, jumping above them and taking off all four of their heads. It was a little brutal, which is why she didn't like to use the move often, but she'd missed actually putting four blades to use.

She looked over at Sanji and Zoro, instantly rolling her eyes.

"You look tired," Sanji said, "Maybe you should take a break."

Zoro stood up. "Maybe you ought to get back in the kitchen."

"Quit screwing around, Luffy needs us!"

"You just got here, you don't know what Luffy needs."

"I know he needs my cooking."

"Putting two slices of bread together?"

She ran over, slicing both of the pirates who were coming for the two. "Bickering causes distraction," she said, "Enough."

"My apologies," Sanji said.

"You're not sorry," Zoro rolled his eyes.

"Oo, someone's feeling threatened!" Buggy said from inside the bag. Miura had forgotten he was here.

"Shut up!" The three said in sync.

"Then get me back to my body! We're close, I can feel my toes! Trust me, I can help you guys win this thing."

"I swear, clown, if you screw us over," Zoro said as Sanji opened the bag. Miura knew he would, but she didn't tell the boys that. He'd helped them enough to find Arlong, the least they could do is not keep hold of his decapitated head.

His head was released from the bag and flew right back over to his body. He freed himself from the shackles.

"Yes! Yes!" He exclaimed, "Oh, it's so much better than I even remembered! Hey, so, um... I'm gonna get out of here. Sorry kiddos, I'd love to make things right, but it's time to exit stage left."

"Fucking clown," Zoro whispered.

"Leave it," Miura said, "He helped us get here, find Nami. Plus, how much help could he really be?"

Zoro and Sanji shrugged. They thought it was over as they looked around at all of the fishmen on the floor, when someone else appeared at the gate.

"How dare you strike down my brothers?" He yelled, "You won't be so lucky against the light of my fishman karate."

He swam at them through the pond, knocking down Sanji. Miura almost ran towards him, but Zoro got there first, attacking the fishman, but eventually knocked him down, too, then Sanji again when he went in for a second attack.

"You're no match for me," the fishman said, "My kicks can break a ship's keel."

"That's nothing," Sanji said, "You should've seen Zeff's kicks when he found an eggshell in the crème brûleé."

"Or Blade's sword skills when you fuck with her friends," Miura said, charging at the fishman. She kicked him in the back of the neck, causing him to stumble over as she went for him with her sword. He quickly spun away and stopped the attack, knocking her to the ground.

Zoro ran over. "Are you okay?"

Miura nodded. "A little embarrassed, though. No one's ever managed that before. Except Mihawk in training."

"Well, there's a first time for everything."

"Nami is a fool to have her faith in such weak compatriots," the fishman said. Zoro and Miura both looked at Sanji.

"You don't ever badmouth Nami."